Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
Looked around a lot to try and find an enduro motor bike. Checked Craigslist and weighed my options. Even searched for 150cc scooters and kept coming up short. Few options used and the price people wanted was comparable with brand new. This Enduro felt right. Price was right at just $1500 so I bought it. Believe that if I sell or trade it the resale should be @$1k a few years from now. A China bike really didn't bother me. I can fix whatever breaks if need be. Read up on how to do the repairs, mostly changing the oil. I'll change it as soon as I get it. Then, after a 200 mile easy break in period. Should be ready to go with the dealer / mechanic prepping it. Said he already tuned the carbs. Hope to take delivery in the next 2 weeks.
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
Used is usually my prefference for any big purchases also, but I believe the OP has already bought his scooter.

Vacationtime, while I`ve never had any personal experience with "China Girls", my uderstanding is that you can go a long way towards improving reliability by doing some initial checks. I`ve run into a website dedicated to various "mail-order" machines like that which gives a lot of pointers as far as what to look over after delivery. It sounds like yours will be preassembled by the distributor, but it would probably be a good idea to go over it as soon as you get your hands on it. I wish I could remember the website, but I bet you can find it (or another like it) by googling around a little bit. Or maybe somebody else can step up with a more direct link for you?

So when do you take delivery? Wishing you good weather for the maiden voyage!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Blow stuff up

S2000 - '03 Honda S2000
Team Honda
90 day: 24.42 mpg (US)
Buy a used 50cc Honda scooter, dump the engine and stuff a nice large wheel and 150cc engine on it. 60mph+ easy, still gets 80mpg.

Intercrew's Honda Ruckus with 15" rear wheel

Christ (04-06-2011), kawboyCAFE (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NinFo - '09 kawasaki ninja 250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky.buddha View Post
Buy a used 50cc Honda scooter, dump the engine and stuff a nice large wheel and 150cc engine on it. 60mph+ easy, still gets 80mpg.
i thought about doing something like this myself. be fun to ride.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'd be afraid people wouldn't see me on a bike that small! Those mini-choppers scare me, they haul @$$ and are just inches off the ground. To many potholes here in my town to even try and attempt too. Winter destroyed the roads!
VT247
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I hope the bike works out for you. I did a test ride on a China made enduro at a flea market once and I hated the thing. It felt cheap and the vibration at certain engine speeds was terrible ! They wanted $1000. and I wouldn't have given them $100. for it.

I ride an '06 Kawasaki klx250 and the difference in quality is astounding. It cost me $2500. with about 1200 miles on it and I get about mid sixties for mileage.

Maybe the China bike you are getting will be better than the one I experienced. I would ask the dealer about long term parts availability. Happy riding and be safe out there.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
It is a gamble, but likely a gamble worth taking. Since the designs are mostly pirated (often copies of bikes/engines built in the same factories for better known makes, I presume), it likely comes down to a question of consistancy- one piece just hunky dory, and the next not quite right. Remember, Chinese built Kias and even BMWs are hanging in just fine. Most importantly, at the end of the day, no matter what "might haves" or "should haves" come up, he already bought what he bought, probably will get his money out of it, and I`m rooting for him and for his little enduro.

Go, go 200!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdesj For This Useful Post:
Christ (04-06-2011), vacationtime247 (03-08-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks man. Any new purchase of this caliber makes me nervous. But being that it was brand new, if something goes, I'll only have myself to blame. Honestly can't remember the last time I paid this much for even a car! Typically get something to fix cheap, then sell it. Hope I get to drive the bike more than I'm fixing it. Not really that worried about it though, I don't plan on driving it like Evel Knievel. Did some research on these bikes, it uses a pretty common Chinese engine. Parts are available and I'm trying to join Chinariders.com...if they ever send me a conformation in my email Just because it's Chinese doesn't make it unreliable.
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
It is a gamble, but likely a gamble worth taking. Since the designs are mostly pirated (often copies of bikes/engines built in the same factories for better known makes, I presume), it likely comes down to a question of consistancy- one piece just hunky dory, and the next not quite right. Remember, Chinese built Kias and even BMWs are hanging in just fine. Most importantly, at the end of the day, no matter what "might haves" or "should haves" come up, he already bought what he bought, probably will get his money out of it, and I`m rooting for him and for his little enduro.

Go, go 200!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just bought a 1996 Suzuki DR200SE for $1100. Runs very well and very easy to ride, especially with that "majic button". Folks are getting over 100 mpg and it looks like I am getting about the same as I go through my first tank.

Fine bike for secondary roads and light off-road exploring but definitely not a freeway cruiser.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NinFo - '09 kawasaki ninja 250R
i think this is a joke anyway. he started this thread 5 days ago on march 4, asking us for opinions about what to get, and then he already has the bike a couple of days later? what was the point of the post? either he didnt want our opinions anyway, or this is a load of bull. sorry, but think about it.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Started the thread, then bought it on a whim. Just sold my Suburban and used the money from that to get the enduro. Tried to think of what would be better to use, decided that the enduro worked better. Perhaps you're right though, should of waited to make a decision. Could of waited longer before buying but figured I'd better get it quick. Wife didn't totally object and that doesn't happen often. I'd better spend my money before the wife makes other plans for it. lol
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
i think this is a joke anyway. he started this thread 5 days ago on march 4, asking us for opinions about what to get, and then he already has the bike a couple of days later? what was the point of the post? either he didnt want our opinions anyway, or this is a load of bull. sorry, but think about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to vacationtime247 For This Useful Post:
Christ (04-06-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread