Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I passed on an aluminum body GMC bread van a few years back...

Well, I bought it, but only so I could scrap it out while prices were up. It had shelves and such in it already, it was last used for a mobile repair center... I probably should have kept it. Could have swapped that 350 that was in it for a 350 Diesel that I used to have laying from a Delta 88 (Which, consequently, got a 350 gasser put in it.) That would have been a nice utility truck.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
Oddly enough my parents have moved on to the truck towing, so a 32' recreational trailer (back 13' is open for bikes or snowmachines) is the new toy. That sucker weighs over 7000lbs dry! Granted it has extra insulation for those cold Alaska winters, but it and the truck push 14K lbs, which is heavy! Too bad no one makes a rec motorhome that'll combine the two.
I guess you're going to spit out your drink all over your monitor when I tell you about the Class A I'm designing that's going to have a GVWR of 120K lbs...

And yeah, about half of that is going to be the battery pack.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
That's going to be one big-assed motor home... (pun. Hehe.)

Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
I'm a full-time RVer (8 years now)
7500lb (empty) 32ft trailer and 5500lb truck.
My technique for getting 25-28mpg is as follows:
I parked the RV a couple years ago, and disconnected the truck.
Best of both worlds, decent mileage, and an extremely energy/water/cost efficient home.

I used to have a 26ft class C, and switched to the trailer because this technique did not work in the class C.

I bet the thing that would make the biggest difference in the class C would be driving slower. Like 45mph. On the open highway, get a CB radio and you can warn approaching semi trucks.

Depending on where you go taking out the roof A/C doesn't seem unreasonable. Replace it with Maxx Air or Turbo Fan vent.
(BTW, no, you cannot run the A/C from solar panels or the house battery, the draw is just too much.)
If it is too hot to forgo it, try an evap cooler.
On the same note, it should be easy to take out the belt that runs the engine A/C (unless its a serpentine belt) which would remove the small drain the clutch still leaves, and remove the temptation.

I have had such success running sans alternator that I finally took it out altogether today. Since you already have deepcycles, it should be easy, just rewire a battery switch to leave the main starter as an emergency reserve.

Adding solar to an RV is very easy. I did it on my old class C.
Much cheaper than in a house, since the systems are already 12v and there is no utility inter-tie.
I got a 110watt panel, charge controller, mounting brackets, and wiring from an RV place for $500. Only used shore power for the microwave and A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?

Last edited by JacobAziza; 07-09-2009 at 08:31 PM..
Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
that camper caught my interest as a kid, they have been since the mod 80s(?) . anyhoo, as years and education went by...I pondered an overseas "hilux" diesel four cylinder turbo right in the v6 place. the extra 2 fires in the location it is in is not worth it on fast fuel. it needs a torquers fuel.

speaking of camper, I was on 95 sounthern new england in a tractor trailer recently. A crazy elderly person doing 80 in a long motorhome with skinny wheels and 2 pipes out the back with a headered sound. it must have been 35-40 feet long, very old. the last time i got a metallically suidicing engine smell this gave off was hauling a 5000 pound tractor behind an old 350 ci chevy pickup. Why did they even bother? time for the little diseles to tell it like it is. the turbo versions with ECU programmability to day could make a real einstein...and predictable 30mpg for more than 2 tons...
Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
That's going to be one big-assed motor home... (pun. Hehe.)
Capitalize that Ass.

And I'm just going for a 45' Class-A, nothing too huge.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
And I'm just going for a 45' Class-A, nothing too huge.
Really?
Don't you think it would be more comfortable in something that has 1100sq ft?
Anderson Mobile Estates

Perfect for multimillionaire trailer trash!
Wonder what kind of gas mileage that thing gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
Really?
Don't you think it would be more comfortable in something that has 1100sq ft?
Anderson Mobile Estates

Perfect for multimillionaire trailer trash!
Wonder what kind of gas mileage that thing gets?
Probably around 5, driven gently. Unless the top slides down, then maybe 8 is possible.

Being serious, though, I live in a 710sq ft. apartment right now. If it were better laid out, (the layout wastes a lot of usable space), it would be more than enough room. A 45' with 2 full length slide-outs takes me up in the mid-600 range.

Aside from that, I would prefer having a single unit, as for nearby transportation I'm planning on having a garage in it. (I have actually seen a production class A with a garage in the rear that did not eat up floor space, and held 2 motorcycles)

Edit: Apparently the top does slide down, but it's still higher than the truck when down. Neat concept though.

Last edited by The Atomic Ass; 07-10-2009 at 03:17 PM..
Old 07-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Chronologically Gifted

Base Metro - '96 Geo Metro
90 day: 54.24 mpg (US)

Neon ACR - '98 Dodge Neon ACR

Banana Slug - '64 Volkswagen Bug

Spirit - '92 Toyota Class C Motorhome Winnebago Itasca
90 day: 17.26 mpg (US)
I like the idea of a diesel in a Toyota MH. I think you're right about torque being the name of the game when you're trying to get 3 tons moving. And I will probably never see 65 mph in it anyway. I just got my new MPGuino hooked up and working and based on what I've seen so far on it, I think it might tell me I'm better off slowing down more and using 3rd gear (with the converter locked up). That would be okay at least sometimes, because I stay on the back roads whenever possible. I'll find out on the next trip, maybe in a couple of weeks. I'd like to try it out sooner, but in the interest of saving fuel I'd better stay on foot bike, or Geo Metro whenever possible.
Beaver

"Life is like a 10-speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use."
-- Linus
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
I like the idea of a diesel in a Toyota MH. I think you're right about torque being the name of the game when you're trying to get 3 tons moving. And I will probably never see 65 mph in it anyway. I just got my new MPGuino hooked up and working and based on what I've seen so far on it, I think it might tell me I'm better off slowing down more and using 3rd gear (with the converter locked up). That would be okay at least sometimes, because I stay on the back roads whenever possible. I'll find out on the next trip, maybe in a couple of weeks. I'd like to try it out sooner, but in the interest of saving fuel I'd better stay on foot bike, or Geo Metro whenever possible.
Beaver
If you've got a 4-speed, I'd say you're better off using 4th. As long as you can keep the converter locked you should be do better in 4th.