Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
If I had a mobile home, I'd be going for max mileage, myself. It's a second nature, for me.

The 5 speed swap isn't really that hard. As long as you have 1/2 an idea of what you're doing, it's a pretty simple process, really. If you're going to go that far, gear changing will probably net you some more MPG's as long as you're not short on torque as it is.

As far as wheel skirts, go, just about anything will work... in fact, the easy way would be to get some thin aluminum (I presume your camper is aluminum) and use the wheel trim as a template to cut it out. Leave about 1/2" all the way around the wheel trim line, then screw it in with some sheet metal screws. Pull it back off, run a bead of caulk around the wheel arch and where each screw goes through. You could also use some plain old rubber weatherstripping.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
I would in addition to the alternator cut off switch put an a/c clutch cutoff on there. Mainly to help it go up hills. Also a light on the dash to indicate when the torque converter is locked up is really useful.

For stuff that actually costs money getting more power will help your mileage so maybe consider underdrive pullies. I would leave the plastic clutch fan on there since it generates a lot of heat with the heavy loads probably and it would need more air than an electric is going to flow probably. A shift kit to keep the transmission from slipping any and changing to synthetic fluids in the trans and rear end. It is probably TBI so a good home made cold air induction might be worth a bit of power and that means keeping it in 4th gear better which in turn means better mileage and less wear.

Just tossing ideas out there for you

Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
I would in addition to the alternator cut off switch put an a/c clutch cutoff on there.
Ooh, if you put a DC motor on the A/C compressor, it would take it off the engine, and then you could run it off house power (or shore power) instead of the roof-mounted A/C.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Here's a thought: Let's talk about weight.

How much of the "stuff" in your camper is made of wood? How many of the things that are there do you actually need?

You could lend thought to removing some of the unnecessary components, which will definitely help out with mileage, engine loading, etc..

Most of the wooden stuff in there can either be replaced with tin pieces, fiberglass, or plastic, depending on it's actual job, and how much use it will see.

Basically, anything wood could/should be replaced with metals or glass/plastic composites... this will probably shave a good bit (a few hundred pounds) off, all by itself. Getting rid of anything that doesn't really need to be there will save even more weight, and you could probably get rid of up to 500 lbs just by doing this. 500 lbs is probably about 1/8 your camper's weight.

You can lessen the electrical load by replacing the lights with LEDS, as well, except the headlights. This could save a large draw off the alternator any time the lights are on.

Can you walk into the camper section from the cab of the truck?

I've often thought about building an RV out of an old U-Haul van or something... I might still do it, someday.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Weight. Speed.

Camera rear-views? How about an air dam under the front edge of the camper shell to divert some of that trapped air to the sides? I'd probably make it a genty curving air dam under the camper overhang.

Maybe an upside-down air dam at the leading edge of the hood to divert air to the sides. That overhanging camper shell gives you some unique opportunities for novel aero.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
Christ is right, there's a ton of extra weight in there. Consider revising how things are packed in the cupboards so that a simple velcro strap would hold it all in instead of a wooden door. My parents motorhome had mirrors, on the walls and cupboard doors. Excess! In fact, all the cupboards and closets are solid wood, I'm sure there's over 500lbs if not more. At least 100lbs in mirror glass I'm positive of.
Does the fresh water tank need to be so big, or can you make do with a smaller one? All P-tex piping, nice lightweight, not heavy metal or semi-heavy pvc? Maybe not cost effective to change that, unless you get a deal.
I honestly can't think of much else I'd skimp on, as a good sized grey/black water system in necessary, seat cushions, mattress, quite comfortable when sleeping. Ditch the TV system if there is one.

No microwave or fridge or stove etc? A portable coleman stove and a 30lb LPG tank is far lighter than the massive drop-in stove/oven system my parents coach has. Microwave is cool, but we only used it to reheat what the freezer kept cold. Counter productive, eh? I suppose when in remote places it makes sense, (which is where my parents use it the most). Simple planning makes a fridge and microwave useless. I saw 90% of the western US national parks in a suburban with an ice chest. Planning indeed.

One sink, not two. Kitchen only, no bathroom sink. If you have two, save some plumbing weight, and open up some counter space! Or use it like a bowl, seal the bottom.

I wouldn't ditch the AC, but rather find a way to make it more streamlined, or sunk into the coach more. Coaches don't have great interior air circulation, so cooling the interior off when its baked may prove difficult. If you get a few solar panels up top, maybe have those run the coach AC system? Not sure on power requirements, but that's fairly easy to work out. Or even just gutting it so its just air circulation, no AC. That'd be simple, like the popup vent you suggested. A big fan to suck the air out, like attic fans for houses.

Certainly swap all the interior lights to LED, that'll save the battery and alternator.

Sorry if this post seems long, but my parents took us kids across the nation several times, so I'm fairly familiar with the truck vs. motorhome camping.

Oddly enough my parents have moved on to the truck towing, so a 32' recreational trailer (back 13' is open for bikes or snowmachines) is the new toy. That sucker weighs over 7000lbs dry! Granted it has extra insulation for those cold Alaska winters, but it and the truck push 14K lbs, which is heavy! Too bad no one makes a rec motorhome that'll combine the two.

Well I'm outa time, leaving work now. That's all I could think of! Hopefully some of it makes sense and is useful.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I've often thought about building an RV out of an old U-Haul van or something... I might still do it, someday.
I've been following this guy:

Project "UHAULER" - Expedition Portal Forum

Old 07-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Clev - Looks good!

I was more thinking about just literally getting an old broken Uhaul and starting with what they have..

If I was going to do that, I think I'd go with a 24' at least, and probably cut down the sides at a hefty angle, and make a popup frame so that I could lay down the top when I'm not using the camper part, but wind it back up when we're not traveling on the road. That would keep the aero aspect in check, by keeping the trailing edge of the truck as short as possible while traveling.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
If I was going to do that, I think I'd go with a 24' at least, and probably cut down the sides at a hefty angle, and make a popup frame so that I could lay down the top when I'm not using the camper part, but wind it back up when we're not traveling on the road. That would keep the aero aspect in check, by keeping the trailing edge of the truck as short as possible while traveling.
Ever since I was in high school, I wanted a Step Van, like a Fedex Truck, to build a Shaggin' Wagon.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I yoosta drive a bread truck and always thought that would make a decent camper.

Nowadays I'm thinking more along the lines of something with less frontal area.

I do like the Sprinter based units.

Having used a very heavy and large pickup box camper and pondered a bit about improving fe without re-engineering the whole dang thing, I concluded that it is just a great lumbering ox and about all I can do is cruise at 50 mph as steadily as I can, where it gets 10-11 mpg. There are many un-aero protrusions but even if they were all banished the barn-like frontal area and shape remain to ruin aero. It takes a fair amount of power just to move that thing down the road; I didn't get the impression that higher gears were a good option and of course an OD like a GearVendors unit simply doesn't pay for itself with the miles that camper accrues.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 07-08-2009 at 02:13 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread