Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

beamer - '91 bmw 318is
90 day: 32 mpg (US)
Be careful, it's one thing to save fuel but it's another to be a danger in traffic and driving too slow could be considered this... At least in my state 15mph below the speed limit is a ticketing offense, literally impeding the flow of traffic.

Then here we got this Richmond - DC 100 mile corridor on I-95 that sometimes gets really outrageous... It's almost always heavy traffic, bumper to bumper and sometimes it moves right around the speed limit, other times it moves so slow it's just ridiculous, still at times the whole lot is doing 80+ in a 65... But there's nothing doing, either keep up with traffic or become a danger, we're talking 18 wheelers and cars galore all flying and you want to go slow isn't going to work so what's the choice?

There are certain mentalities however, that further promote speed. Driving aggressively is one of them, certainly if everyone is doing 80 and I'm just pushing forward too then I'm not helping. Meanwhile at the opposite end of the spectrum a Sunday driver can infect other people's minds to drive slower but only if it isn't taken to extremes... Nobody likes a Sunday driver that holds up progress to the point of a traffic build up, but there is something to the tactic if done properly.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #82 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
NoCO2 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
cfg83:

That's really cool! Where did you go to get that made, I have been thinking of making a window decal similar to that, maybe something that said "Hypermiler" or just had the logo from the site on it.
Thanks, I just made it at home. It still looks bubbly up close, but the silhouette is great from a car-to-car standpoint. Just go to an auto store and get something like this :

PEEL-&-STICK WINDOW FILM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000222719

I used the tint that was rated at 20%, which is limo-dark.

Go to a stationaries store and get a permanent-ink silver (or gold or white) calligraphy pen like the following :

Sanford Calligraphic Marker Style Calligraphy Pen, Medium, Metallic Silver Ink
http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...SAN46120/08Q1/

Then do as follows :

1 - Print an image on a piece of paper. This will be the stencil/trace image. You want an image that has good contrast for the lines you are going to trace because the window tint makes it hard to see through.

2 - Tape the paper onto a mat that you can cut on.

3 - Cut out a piece of the peel-&-stick stuff and tape it onto the paper.

4 - Use the silver calligraphy pen to trace the image. The reason I use a silver pen is because it will be hard to "see" what you are cutting in the next step. It is hard to see because the peel-&-stick is designed to absorb light. Make sure the silver pen is not tracing into the image, otherwise you will end up with silver marks on your cutout. Also use a piece of paper to cover the image as you trace, otherwise you will probably smudge the image with silver pen ink.

5 - Use an X-Acto to start the cut into the image and finish it with a sharp pair of scissors.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #83 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Do you know where I can get clear, like window cling, type material? I hadn't thought about stenciling it in myself, if anything I was considering making something from cafepress.com and putting it on there. I feel that by putting something that says what I do for a hobby, people might understand why I drive like I do. Hopefully it will also inspire people to ask me some questions about how they can save gas and maybe I can make a difference in the world, even if it is as small as telling a few people how to save the environment the little that they can.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #84 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
NoCO2 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
Do you know where I can get clear, like window cling, type material? I hadn't thought about stenciling it in myself, if anything I was considering making something from cafepress.com and putting it on there. I feel that by putting something that says what I do for a hobby, people might understand why I drive like I do. Hopefully it will also inspire people to ask me some questions about how they can save gas and maybe I can make a difference in the world, even if it is as small as telling a few people how to save the environment the little that they can.
I have also been wanting the clear clingy stuff for a long time. I was thinking about it this morning on the drive to work. I'll bet that the sign-maker shops have it in the same way that they have coroplast. I'll bet the same kind of place that SVOboy had the ecomodder clingy's made would have it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #85 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

found out long ago that when i plug the old radar gun into the cigar lighter and hook it up for a speedometer, that most people really drive very senseable and safe. its very reassuring to me, as to willings of the average driver to be courtesy and obey the max. speed limits.

to save some ink, to any state patrols that don't like that, i shake your dust from my sandals.

maybe that's the misunderstanding, all drivers are mathematicians and they think its a lower limit not an upper limit. those signs need to be more specific.

Reply  Post New Thread