Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #51 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Just curious : I thought that the Previa was already the 'ideal' shape with its egg like front end. How does making the front more pointed help aerodynamics ? ( Since you never break the sound barrier )
I would think that the problem areas would be at the back of the vehicle, the underside and the wheel wells (BTW, nice wheel skirts !! )

( Educate me.)

Edit : I see you are trying to get the air to flow over the top of the vehicle rather than around. That would explain the 'pointed nose'.

I'd be interested to know if there are any benefits to this.

Last edited by Cd; 11-27-2008 at 07:39 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Just curious : I thought that the Previa was already the 'ideal' shape with its egg like front end. How does making the front more pointed help aerodynamics ?
Actually, aerodynamically it would be better if I drove it backwards See Dymaxion car.

The factory CD for the '93 is about .35. Good but not great considering the shape. My guesses as to why it's not better are (in ascending order of magnitude and excluding the obvious mirrors, wheel covers etc.):
a) The widshield wipers have no cover. (The aptera has a better CD than my wipers)
b) The front bumper overhang is pretty huge. If you look at new cars the shape is very similar to what I have done, mine's just not as rounded.
c) The curved trailing edge all the way around the back of the vehicle must act like a freakin' parachute. Is there a trim strip the right shape to make a trip edge like the Volt? (author makes the sign of the cross, mumbles "All hail the Volt")
d) All of the above
e) c and d

There will be a test at the end.

So I'm in full agreement on the rear being the worst offender, it's just that the boat tail is a much larger project.

I think your blunt front ends thread is what got me all hot and bothered about a serious airdam and the correct shape. My take on it is that the overhang of the bumper created a pressure area under it that would be relieved if the air were directed up and around the sides. That pressure would push more air under the van (water streaks confirmed this). Better to go over and/or around. I'm just giving the air an easier choice. I think we have a tendency to think mostly about the roofline but the sides are just as important especially with a tall van.

The dam sort of designed itself I just followed the lines. I will put in plexi light covers to finish it off at some point. I have to do a coastdown test one of these days.

Quote:
( Since you never break the sound barrier )
Ah, yes, but the taste barrier will never hold me back.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

BTW...

Boat tail good.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lately been playing around with my new MPGuino. Testing P&G and calibrating. Been having some trouble with screen freeze which I have yet to figure out. I will have to try powering it from an separate battery to see if it's a voltage issue.

Found a Ford MAP sensor which I plan to hook up to my cruise control to see if I can get vacuum regulated cruise. This is mostly for fun because I'm getting pretty good numbers from P&G.

I have the sensor, a 5V regulator and I know my VSS is about 8000 so they should play well together. Now I have to find the cruise control module somewhere under the shuttle dash. I have to run the wires for my vac gauge and mpguino anyway so...

Also been playing with HUD-MPGuino.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPGuino-11.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	2302   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPGuino-12.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2303   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPGuino-13.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2304  

Old 06-03-2009, 04:15 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

New aero part camm top edge

Finally started to work on the much needed back side of the egg aero improvements

I would love some comments on the angle and whether I need a downward sloping or 90 degree edge. Does this kind of wing work well as is, or can I improve it?

I do plan to make side panels too which will be the base for a boattail, eventually.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #56 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
The angle is probably fine. But, it is very short. The whole idea is to reduce the wake size behind the vehicle. A longer piece would do much better. It does look nice though!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #57 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Totally agree with Daox. Looks good, but extend that sucker out, so it's even with the bumper.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Looks good, but extend that sucker out
I believe the correct term is anti-sucker

Absolutely will do. I needed a firm mounting base to attach the boat tail to. I picked up the stainless for a sweet price and it was already that size. Now I know how to make the brackets so the lower attachments will be easier to make.

I am planning to make a lightweight lexan or plexi boattail which will either knock down flat or detach in seconds using Dzus fasteners. This way If it's longer than the bumper, parking would be simpler and the whole thing could be removed if needed.

I'm hoping to design a model in sketchup if I have some time but building it may actually take less time. I built the little wing in about 3 hours.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #59 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
I agree that it needs to longer but the wing still looks pretty good

Do some runs and report if it helps any
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aloha! Alohaspirit.

Which island are you on? I visit Maui when I can get away. If there is a heaven then maui is it for me.

cheers.

Reply  Post New Thread