Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
This post is equally wrong - where is your evidence that I "put others down when they don't say or do things that are up to my standards"?
Immediately dismissing someones concerns as wrong is called assuming bad faith and it signals you have no intention of taking them seriously. We have given you countless examples and you dismiss them all out of hand.

Don't come the raw prawn with us. You are not fooling anyone.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Immediately dismissing someones concerns as wrong is called assuming bad faith and it signals you have no intention of taking them seriously. We have given you countless examples and you dismiss them all out of hand.
I think that what Stubby79 has written is wrong, just as what he wrote in a previous post was demonstrably wrong.

And I need to keep asking - what are you contributing here that improves people's understanding of car aero, helps answer their questions, aks aero questions or shows your car aero modifications? So far I haven't seen anything at all.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
And I need to keep asking - what are you contributing here that improves people's understanding of car aero, helps answer their questions, aks aero questions or shows your car aero modifications? So far I haven't seen anything at all.
You're too close to the situation. orange4boy contributes by trying to improve the signal-to-noise ratio. At this time there are: Currently Active Users: 851 (7 members and 844 guests), just posting at all puts one in the 1-10%.

The whole world isn't watching, according to https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ecomodder.com the rank is 562,246 worldwide. You can sign up and see the rank for e.g., Australia or the Keyword Gaps:
Quote:
Keyword Gaps
Keywords driving traffic to competitors, but not to this site
Avg. Traffic to Competitors
Search Popularity
side view mirror
side mirror
wing mirror
car side mirror
Obvs the question not being answered here has to do with side mirrors.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You're too close to the situation. orange4boy contributes by trying to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.
By making noise and no signal? That doesn't make any kind of sense...

Thankfully, nearly all people here make contributions that are relevant to the subject of car aerodynamic modification.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge > Never Meet Your Heroes

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:46 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
It always amuses me when people say:

"Oh, I love what you write and/or cover in you videos. Your approach is so good - consulting proper references, doing all your own modifications, all that on-road testing you do. And the best thing is that you're not sucked-in by the prevailing wisdom in car modification - that's the best thing, you don't just go along with the crowd."

And the funny bit?

It's when those very same people are disgusted and angered when I apply exactly that approach to them. So it's apparently a great approach - but not if it shows their particular misapprehensions, poor modifications, etc.

So it's all good - but only if it applies to others, not them.

And Merry Christmas.

(And no one can say I hide my approach):

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 12-25-2020 at 02:17 AM..
Old 12-25-2020, 12:27 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That motorcycle at youtu.be/4cd5_YPfB74?t=342: Wouldn't that front fender shrouding the front/top quadrant of the wheel induce self steering? (I'm comparing to shrouding the rear quadrant)

It always amuses me when people say: "I refuse to conflate aerodynamics and engine tuning, but your feelings are the same d*mn thing. Again."

I need something to do tomorrow. Maybe I'll roll the Metro up on some ramps and measure it for a front belly pan.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:02 AM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I need something to do tomorrow. Maybe I'll roll the Metro up on some ramps and measure it for a front belly pan.
Sounds good - still the best bang for your buck that I am aware of on older cars.

Some more silicone hose arrived yesterday so I should be able to measure centreline pressures on my wife's Mercedes tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 01:14 AM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
That motorcycle at youtu.be/4cd5_YPfB74?t=342: Wouldn't that front fender shrouding the front/top quadrant of the wheel induce self steering? (I'm comparing to shrouding the rear quadrant)
I'd never really thought about that, but looking at it, yes I think you may be right. As in, as the wheel steers, a greater area ahead of the wheel's turning axis is exposed to air flow - and so there is an increase in turning force ie a system with positive feedback? Is that what you are thinking?

I was really excited by the project (love the idea of going very fast on 50cc) but my communications with the builder didn't impress me much. (Here is one area where it does make a lot of sense to look at historically successful predecessors.)

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 12-25-2020 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: clarification
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #50 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Infographics of T.50's six different aero modes/magic.

Reply  Post New Thread