Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2020, 01:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Is anyone else sick of this aggressive, unproductive, alienating, unnecessary content? Who would want to post here and have to deal with this if they post something these people think is wrong?
You seem to be consistently working under the misapprehension that validity of aerodynamic knowledge is all just at the whim of the poster. So it is "not what these people think is wrong", it is what the formal references and testing show is wrong. Big difference.

But as I say, don't believe what I (or anyone else) says. Do your own research, read aerodynamic textbooks and papers, conduct your own aerodynamic testing.

And as for unproductive, in the last few days someone has linked to an excellent free thesis on diffusers, I have given an overview of diffuser operation, someone has nominated the best and most current text on car aero, we've explored the implications of pressures and flows when optimising cooling systems - and so on.

You? Over the same period you have contributed nothing that has helped in any understanding or application of car aerodynamics.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2020, 03:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Is anyone else sick of this aggressive, unproductive, alienating, unnecessary content?
Not aerohead. He Thanks every insult.

I see it as something I'm not going to be able to change. At least he doesn't threaten me with invoking the wrath of the mods, as another poster (who was eventually banned IIRC) has done to me.

Quote:
I have given an overview of diffuser operation
Permalink pleez?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
orange4boy (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 03:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
You? Over the same period you have contributed nothing that has helped in any understanding or application of car aerodynamics.
Sure I have. This sub has become a total drag. I'm trying to reduce the rhetorical turbulence and vortex of insults coming off of a certain bluff body.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Permalink pleez?
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post638998
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 04:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Is anyone else sick of this aggressive, unproductive, alienating, unnecessary content? Who would want to post here and have to deal with this if they post something these people think is wrong?
I am.

I have no appreciation for the SJW approach to trying to get a point across. Totally debases their side of the argument.

Debate peacefully or STFU.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
j-c-c (03-10-2023), orange4boy (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I'd take care with the SJW label. JulianEdgar isn't that and doesn't deserve it. There are more deserved criticisms.

"#post638998" = Permalink #22 above.

Quote:
There is a lot about diffusers that is not currently understood
There should be consideration of the plenum with three 'stationary' walls and one 'moving' one. The angle and curve of the side walls is [likely] as important as the roof ceiling.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I didn't call him one. I compared the approach to being of a kind. The whole "How dare you not support my views? You're part of the problem!" followed by *bash* *bash* *bash* doesn't do anything for me.

There are parallels is all I'm getting at.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
I didn't call him one. I compared the approach to being of a kind. The whole "How dare you not support my views? You're part of the problem!" followed by *bash* *bash* *bash* doesn't do anything for me.
In fact, I have stated here many times:

Don't believe what I say. Go and read the current aero textbooks, read the SAE papers, do some on-road testing (eg pressure testing) and you'll soon find that a lot of what has been disseminated here is incorrect. Find that out for yourself!

Vman455 is one person here who has specifically stated that he took that advice and yes, found indeed that a lot that has been spread here is quite wrong.

You could do the same.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 12-24-2020 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
In fact, I have stated here many times:

Don't believe what I say. Go and read the current aero textbooks, read the SAE papers, do some on-road testing (eg pressure testing) and you'll soon find that a lot of what has been disseminated here in incorrect. Find that out for yourself!

Vman455 is one person here who has specifically stated that he took that advice and yes, found indeed that a lot that has been spread here is quite wrong.

You could do the same.
I have no issue with your need to correct other people's misunderstandings or limited comprehension of the subject matter. Keep doing that, if you are up for it. Correct them, point them in the right direction, ignore them if they don't take your advice.

But you don't need to put others down when they don't say or do things that are up to your standards. This isn't some snob scientist gathering, where the elitist types get to scoff and put down the new guy in the room who doesn't have the pedigree and top-tier education they were "blessed" with. It's a public forum full of amateurs trying to learn and do their best within their (limited?) abilities. There's no need to treat them as a bunch of thick-headed dolts who "just don't get it" and need to have that hammered home every time.

This is a pleasant forum because it's full of amateurs...amateurs who don't put each other down for not conforming to someone else's standards. That snobbish mentality is why I don't hang around on other car forums, where you'll get attacked if you don't install the best brand of parts or other useless drivel. It's not what I - and others - come here for, or even expect to encounter.

I'm no longer comfortable saying anything about aerodynamics, as I expect you will come in to the thread, tell me and everyone else how wrong we are (that part is fine) and then proceed to belittle us for not following your "procedures". You come off as one short step shy of actually resorting to name calling. It's not pleasant to be around. If I need to read your book and follow your procedures in order to be shown a modicum of respect, then I have no interest in sharing my fumbling attempts - which others could learn what not to do from, if nothing else - on aerodynamics here. I'll go do them quietly, on my own, and leave this place poorer for my lack of contribution.

Is that the atmosphere you wish to bring to this forum? Is that the kind of person you want to come across as?

This isn't even your thread and you're doing it.

I don't get it.

Keep up the good work with the books and videos, they're valuable to(and appreciated by) anyone and everyone who is interested. I'm sure we could all learn a lot from you.

We could potentially learn a lot more from you if we found you more approachable.

Sigh. I hate this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
j-c-c (03-10-2023), orange4boy (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
But you don't need to put others down when they don't say or do things that are up to your standards. This isn't some snob scientist gathering, where the elitist types get to scoff and put down the new guy in the room who doesn't have the pedigree and top-tier education they were "blessed" with. It's a public forum full of amateurs trying to learn and do their best within their (limited?) abilities. There's no need to treat them as a bunch of thick-headed dolts who "just don't get it" and need to have that hammered home every time.

Your previous post:

The whole "How dare you not support my views? You're part of the problem!" followed by *bash* *bash* *bash* doesn't do anything for me.

...was completely wrong, as I showed by pointing out that I actually suggest people don't believe me, and instead find out for themselves. (Glad to see your apology for so misrepresenting me.)

This post is equally wrong - where is your evidence that I "put others down when they don't say or do things that are up to my standards"?

You don't seem to understand the huge difference between arguing against the position a person takes, and putting someone down.

And I am a bit puzzled by the implication I am not an amateur. I am an amateur car modifier, self-taught in aerodynamics, working with limited resources from a home workshop. That's a major reason I want to see other amateurs getting the best results, not following misleading garbage.

Reply  Post New Thread