Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2018, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Yes to all of this. I was a little disappointed at the machinist didn't seem to do a check for warpage before flattening. But he did a great job. I'd recommend them to anyone. But you asking these questions reminded me that there's still another modification that I forgot to mention in the original post for this thread. I set the valve lash in a way that was meant to improve internal EGR. The valve lash is still all set within specs but the exhaust valves are open for as little as possible within spec and the intake valves are open for as long as possible within spec.
Be careful with that. The ex valves not being open long enough can significantly raise EGT's and cylinder tempuratures. I'm sure it's fine, I would just be conscious of it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Be careful with that. The ex valves not being open long enough can significantly raise EGT's and cylinder tempuratures. I'm sure it's fine, I would just be conscious of it.
Yes, and there should be more heat transfer to the head as a result of longer duration of exhaust valve contact with the valve seat. But I kept it all ridiculously conservative by staying within specs and just pushing to the opposite ends of the limits. The idea is better emissions and FE because of a more complete burn and higher manifold air pressure. There is an article I linked in my mod thread (link below) if you wanna see more.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread