Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Perhaps if you go for a flexible front air dam, the lack of the underbody panel won't be so bad.

Typically, with small cars in our traffic, every little bit of driveline drag counts... auto transmission... air-conditioner... I usually experiment to see how high (temperature-wise) I can set the thermostat while still not sweating like a pig. Has a big effect in traffic, though it can be distracting fiddling with it so much.
The Brio has an air dam... So darn low that I really need to watch out for curbs. I already tried hypermiling, I turned off the A/C compressor and only use fan when driving, only turning on the A/C when stopping.

I'm interested with the mirageforum topics such as frontal area of the car, coeficient of drag, and the explanation of that huge spoiler since most elements of the car is available on the Brio (sans the underbody panel on my model).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Underbody aero panels may not matter if your typical driving is stop & crawl!

Does the car come with a fuel economy computer? Tracking the numbers in your daily commute and per tank is the first step. Up the tire pressure, and as deejaaa says, minimize idling as much as possible (though that may be a challenge... I imagine it's a little warmer in Jakarta than I'm used to, and A/C doesn't operate with the engine off).
Thanks for tips Darin. Idling is a requirement... For your information, my travel to my regular meeting area is around 16 Kilometers... But on rush hours, it took me about one hour driving to and one half hour to two hours driving back. Lucky I'm one of the few who got selected as "country rep" so I work from my house only when I have to meet people that I have to go driving.

The Brio has no real time fuel consumption meter, but has average fuel consumption in relation to total travel. It does have a funky (a bit useless) eco driving indicator that lights up when you drive efficiently... I prefer instant readout though since I can modulate the throttle better.

About the underbody panel... It irks me that the cheaper variant has it and mine doesn't. I praise the underbody panel as Honda own way of making cars efficient instead of relying on 3 cylinder engines like the Mirage and Toyota/Daihatsu twins on my personal blog. So the omission kind of distracting... I do however note ABS tubing running through the back wheels, perhaps the panel isn't made for it? The cheaper variants doesn't have ABS.

So far, my mixed highway and crawl mileage is 10.5 Km/l... How much is that in MPG, 100km/L? It's better than my Honda Freed which only gets 8.8 Km/L, but I wanted to squeeze more out of the car. Tire pressure is still factory recommended, so I might bump that up tomorrow, but most of all I want to know what makes the Brio ticks. I see a lot of aero readouts on the aerodynamic section, I'd love to understand my car better.

I love getting high mileage, sadly I can't afford a hybrid... Prius, CT200h, CR-Z and Civic Hybrid here cost around US$50K. That's just too rich for my blood... Stupid government imposing premium tax for cars with "two engines"... What... The... Fairy...

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 05-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 10,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Amp View Post
About the underbody panel... It irks me that the cheaper variant has it and mine doesn't. I praise the underbody panel as Honda own way of making cars efficient instead of relying on 3 cylinder engines like the Mirage and Toyota/Daihatsu twins on my personal blog. So the omission kind of distracting... I do however note ABS tubing running through the back wheels, perhaps the panel isn't made for it? The cheaper variants doesn't have ABS.
It still doesn't seem to make sense ditching the underbody panel in the top version. BTW when you quoted an underbody panel my first thought was about a crankcase protector instead of something purely oriented to aerodynamics.


Quote:
I love getting high mileage, sadly I can't afford a hybrid... Prius, CT200h, CR-Z and Civic Hybrid here cost around US$50K. That's just too rich for my blood... Stupid government imposing premium tax for cars with "two engines"... What... The... Fairy...
I'm not a real enthusiast of hybrids, but I believe the so-called BAS-Hybrid setup would be an interesting attempt to circumvent this premium tax.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'm not a real enthusiast of hybrids, but I believe the so-called BAS-Hybrid setup would be an interesting attempt to circumvent this premium tax.
Ah mild hybrid... Mazda does that on its Mazda 6, but still, a premium over what I can afford and the price delta I can use to buy fuel for 10 years
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It still doesn't seem to make sense ditching the underbody panel in the top version. BTW when you quoted an underbody panel my first thought was about a crankcase protector instead of something purely oriented to aerodynamics.
Here's a pic from my blog.



It's a showroom car back from 2013.

And here's mine...


Photos taken from behind the car. There's an extra ABS tubing (to the left of the catalytic converter), so I don't know if that cause the underbody panel to not be fitted on my model. The cheaper variants all doesn't have ABS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Not banned yet
 
deejaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas Coast, close to Houston
Posts: 880

getto - '02 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 53.82 mpg (US)
Thanks: 413
Thanked 259 Times in 207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Amp View Post
........You want to see a 16 Kilometer 2 hours crawl?
yeah, why not. I'm sure there are things you would want to see from here that isn't an everyday occurrence in your parts.
__________________
FOR SALE: 02 TDI Jetta- 5 sp: Cooper CS5 at 50 psi, UltraGauge, ventectomy, rear air shocks, mufflerectomy, LED plate light, upper fiberglass grille block, front lower pan, front fairing.
93 Chevy CrewCab 6.5 TurboDiesel, GearVendor OverDrive, 4L80 w/ TCI controls. Now DailyDriver

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 10,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,132 Posts
Maybe those underbody panelling is more targetted to protect the undercarriage, like it was done in a country-oriented version of the VW Beetle known in Brazil as "pé de boi" (ox-foot) which had some reinforced underbody plates, which made it easier to cope with harsher rural and suburban road conditions. Anyway, there are still some folks who claim ABS brakes aren't so effective while driving on dirt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Amp View Post
Ah mild hybrid... Mazda does that on its Mazda 6, but still, a premium over what I can afford and the price delta I can use to buy fuel for 10 years
At least the BAS-Hybrid layout still provides some electric traction, in spite of not offering a full-EV mode, and in theory it wouldn't increase the manufacturing cost so much as a "traditional" hybrid setup does.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com