Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
the explorer is a 2nd gen with either a sohc v6 or a 302, leave it alone if it was a 3rd gen then id recommend a diesel
Yeah, It's got the 4.0 SOHC V6. Runs strong but not exactly an economiser. I do have the tires pumped up to 45 lb though and that probably helps a little.
It's cheaper to keep 2 cars, ZX2 for daily commute and the Exp. Even with the additional insurance I'm saving $1500/year on fuel. Not to mention wear, tear and tires for the Exp are more expensive than the ZX2.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhunter View Post
What type of diesel would I put in it? I do know that Ford Australia is making a crew cab Ranger 4X4 diesel that gets 40 mpg.
40 MPG sounds quite over-estimated, anyway that might be with the 2.2L engine already available in the Ford Transit van for the Mexican market (I'm not sure if it's gonna be available in the States alongside the 5-cyl 3.2L, but if there would be FWD versions of the Transit back there you can expect them to come with the 2.2L). Depending on where you live and how the local DMV enforces emissions-compliance, you would probably not have too much options of Diesel engines to swap into the Explorer, such as the Volkswagen TDI and some Mercedes-Benz engines. There are some folks dropping even the Cummins 4BT into these rigs, but since they're not exactly certified for the same GVW class of the Explorer and usually are not compliant to OBD-2, they're technically illegal for any vehicle newer than '95. Anyway, if you would be interested in a Diesel conversion, feel free to call me
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
40 MPG sounds quite over-estimated, anyway that might be with the 2.2L engine already available in the Ford Transit van for the Mexican market (I'm not sure if it's gonna be available in the States alongside the 5-cyl 3.2L, but if there would be FWD versions of the Transit back there you can expect them to come with the 2.2L). Depending on where you live and how the local DMV enforces emissions-compliance, you would probably not have too much options of Diesel engines to swap into the Explorer, such as the Volkswagen TDI and some Mercedes-Benz engines. There are some folks dropping even the Cummins 4BT into these rigs, but since they're not exactly certified for the same GVW class of the Explorer and usually are not compliant to OBD-2, they're technically illegal for any vehicle newer than '95. Anyway, if you would be interested in a Diesel conversion, feel free to call me
Thanks, I'll look into it but I really don't have time for that kind of project right now. I will look into for the future though.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Would you mind to have a manual transmission into the Explorer instead of the automatic?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello! very much interested in this forum discussion and joined in this. I would like to know about the models in present days. Thanks for adding me.

Reply  Post New Thread