Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
I believe it would be morally wrong to withhold your skills from society
I have skills but past employers were more interested in office politics. Now my skills are for me only.

There is a LOT of fat of the land to scavenge!!! American slobs throw enough in the dump to sustain another entire society. If "mooching" involves gainfully and properly utilizing a resource that would otherwise go to waste, then I'm all for it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Neon - '95 Dodge Neon
Last 3: 49.46 mpg (US)
Thank You!!! That was a good read. I love the idea of converting waste to resource. Often people ask me how they can make more money. I tell them you have a limited amount of income. If you cut your fixed expenses you will not spend as much and you will have more. His life must be an adventure living as he does, like a hunter gatherer he must always be looking for the obvious opportunity to collect things he needs.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
I do not agree that the individual should attempt to maximize his support of society. Many individuals are trying to avoid society because of the damage society has done to them.
Frank Lee (09-13-2009), jkp1187 (09-13-2009)
Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
I do not agree that the individual should attempt to maximize his support of society. Many individuals are trying to avoid society because of the damage society has done to them.
True. It seems the more one has, and known to be inocent, the more likely to be inspired to crawl off after the epiphany..nobody cares..

I myself am a typical case of broken. I have no mercy at all. Money is number 1 not to have alot of.
Self declared kings is americas retardation, nepptism like a royalty..we have to watch the money fail..and everything that could move on truthfully with it. automobiles for example..
I am still better off with facts, no blue book value and a mig welder.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaspirit View Post
If I didnt mooch it, then every resource that went into making that would be lost.
But taking something that would otherwise be thrown away isn't mooching. Mooching would be if you made a habit of showing up at your friend's house every night around dinnertime...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Hmm... Is it ethical to put social stigmas and artificial expectations on someone who has had their fill of society?
It's unfair and maybe impolite, but it may be morally right. As an ethical Utilitarian, I believe that the moral value of anything is determined by its outcome. So if I light a fire under a man's ass, it was the right thing to do if it got him to pull himself out of absolute poverty and into a shack where he's ultimately more comfortable.

Utilitarianism is a good basis for your moral compass. The action which does the most to improve conditions for people is, ethically, the best. However, what is the quantity you want to maximize? Happiness? Pleasure?

Pleasure seems so awfully arbitrary to me. Once the needs of the body are met, as they are for all but the poorest 1.5 billion people on earth, we have no further need to enjoy the taste of food or the comfort of a warm bath. I believe a hedonistic utopia would look something like this, which I find repugnant.

Happiness is fine, but the relentless pursuit of happiness will leave our descendants no better off than we are. I believe a life of pleasure, happiness, and contribution to technological advancement, is the right kind of life to live. In fact, if you look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (and you should look it up), you find pleasure at the bottom, happiness in the middle, and progress at the top. The rest of the things on Maslow's list are also worthwhile pursuits.

My moral compass says the most moral course of action is to enjoy life while living up to your full potential, and to help others to do the same.

I am not a saint.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Oof-da. I'm living up to about 1% of my potential. Hope I don't burn in Hell for it.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
It's unfair and maybe impolite, but it may be morally right.
or it may be morally wrong, is the world not a big enough place for a couple cave dwellers? Do we need to impose capitalistic values on the fourth world so kids can assemble crap for us all day?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
It is not morally correct (in my views) to suggest that another person is morally incorrect without evaluating the entire situation.

By removing himself from society as a whole, he's drawn attention to himself from that same society that he apparently wants no part of. Even negative attention is attention, as a child would inevitably say. You still care, in some form or another.

By removing himself from society as a whole, that man may actually be performing the greater good for society, by helping to teach them that they don't always need to be consumer minded, don't necessarily need to make $15/hour to survive, don't need to overspend on ridiculously priced goods and services that DON'T serve the greater good (and thus, are immoral, by your opinion), don't need to drive cars and SUVs everywhere they go.

He's teaching people, even if they don't acknowledge it, and teaching is a far greater form of contribution than any labor could be, as we know from the fish/corn stories.

How, now, is this man being immoral?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
I believe it would be morally wrong to withhold your skills from society
If someone got their education from public schools (tax payers paid for it), then that person should give something back to society. Look at Chris McCandless from Krakauer's book "Into the wild": He goes through the public schooling system, and soon after finishing high school goes to live off the land in Alaska. Take, don't give. On the other hand, noone asked him if he wants to go to school, as school is usually inficted on people at a young age, often against their will.

On the other hand, if someone is self-educated then he himself should decide on which skills he shares with society. If somebody knows how to construct a bomb using household materials, should he go ahead and do it? Should he publish this info on the Web or should he keep it to himself? My personal opinion is that he should keep it to himself, because people can't be trusted to act intelligently and/or morally. In an ideal world he would publish it, and that info would be there for scientific purposes, not for killing others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But taking something that would otherwise be thrown away isn't mooching. Mooching would be if you made a habit of showing up at your friend's house every night around dinnertime...
Personally I have nothing against eating someone's left-overs. On many occasions I've polished off someone's plate. Unfortunately, I've had to resign from many more plates, since society doesn't approve of this behaviour. I've never done it because I didn't have money for food, but b/c I don't like things to get wasted. If I can eat something that would normally get tossed, and save some money at the time, then good. If I use that saved money on something useful, like donating to a charity or buying someone a lunch, then even better. Having somebody else sponsor your food when you can easily afford it is not good. In an ideal world, people wouldn't waste so much. They would eat out the fridge before buy more junk. Restaurants would have more portion size options than "Jumbo" and "XXXL", allowing people to eat less without throwing anything out.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Reply  Post New Thread