Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
RH77 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
That was the sound of a slow death -- like a metal-on-metal bearing noise.

Luckily it held up long-enough to back up the data that wasn't destroyed (minimal stuff that wasn't fully backed up before). In the interim, a 1TB external drive was purchased to back up household computers. Pix and music was the biggest concern.

Here's the silver lining to the story -- although the laptop warranty expired, the manufacturers warranty is still in effect. Toshiba has agreed to provide a replacement part

So, the moral of the story: check with the manufacturer of the part after the overall machine warranty is expired.

The bum deal: it's out of service for at least 2 weeks -- up to 30 days. I'm only out shipment to the HDD service center -- they ship it back.

RH77
If the external 1TB is a Western Digital, then beware. Watch out for a refurb disk from Toshiba.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
If the external 1TB is a Western Digital, then beware. Watch out for a refurb disk from Toshiba.
WD is officially fired, so we sprung for the Seagate External.

I'm lucky to get anything from Toshiba, so if it's re-furb'd, I'll take it. I've had really good luck with laptop drives which the exception of whoever abused this one (this refurbished laptop replaced a new one under warranty -- there was still gunk on the keyboard from the previous owner. Thanks Dell).

RH77

_
_
Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Wink

RH77 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
WD is officially fired, so we sprung for the Seagate External.

I'm lucky to get anything from Toshiba, so if it's re-furb'd, I'll take it. I've had really good luck with laptop drives which the exception of whoever abused this one (this refurbished laptop replaced a new one under warranty -- there was still gunk on the keyboard from the previous owner. Thanks Dell).

RH77
Oh, yeah ... ummmm, well, you see ... that might have been me. I was drinking my mocha-latte-frappuccino-blueberry pizazz, when all of a sudden I saw something really funny on TeeVee ... Dell couldn't prove anything, so I got a replacement ... sorry.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread