Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Next time, I'm building my own lappy!

I haven't bought a 'desktop' computer since well into the last century - you guys probably haven't either...

Question: Why are 'we' buying rebranded/rebadged junk???

I've been researching this for about a year. All these 'computer companies' do, so called, is buy barebones from China and configure them with whatever options you want.

Question: Why aren't 'we' building them ourselves?

Barebone lappys ARE available to the public.

Example[s]:
Parts : Notebook Barebones : avadirect.com

Barebone Laptops

Laptop Parts & Repair, Notebook Computer Repair, Printer Parts

When my current Toshiba (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) dies - I'm gonna buy a barebone, just like the OEMs do, and use as many of my old parts as I can, blah, blah, blah.

I'm basically gonna apply the same principles to my lappy as I do to my ride - buy a shell, stick a hot engine in it, and see what kind of performance and mileage I get...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
BlackDeuceCoupe -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe View Post
All laptops are made by, like, 7 or 8 companies in China. The badge that you're lappy wears - Dell in this case - doesn't mean jack! It's ALL Chinese junk...

For instance, I'm running a Toshiba A215-4807, 64-bit with 4 GB RAM - which is basically a rebadged Compal JAW91 with Toshiba's name on it - Vista HP SP1, the latest BIOS & driver updates, yada, yada, yada. It's been working fine for a year and a half, so I'll ride this horse until it drops!

If I was you, I'd give that Dell lappy away and build my own, or at least do some research and find out who the REAL manufacturer is... and go from there.

Put another way, it sounds like you got a lemon on your hands. If it was me, I'd cut n' run...
What do you think of Alienware? My IT friend used to like them, but they got eaten by Dell a few years ago. I think he has a Gateway or Compaq (HP) from Best Buy, which I thought he would NEVER do in my lifetime.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
BlackDeuceCoupe -

Quote:

I haven't bought a 'desktop' computer since well into the last century - you guys probably haven't either...

Question: Why are 'we' buying rebranded/rebadged junk???

I've been researching this for about a year. All these 'computer companies' do, so called, is buy barebones from China and configure them with whatever options you want.

Question: Why aren't 'we' building them ourselves?

Barebone lappys ARE available to the public.

Example[s]:
Parts : Notebook Barebones : avadirect.com

Barebone Laptops

Laptop Parts & Repair, Notebook Computer Repair, Printer Parts

When my current Toshiba (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) dies - I'm gonna buy a barebone, just like the OEMs do, and use as many of my old parts as I can, blah, blah, blah.

I'm basically gonna apply the same principles to my lappy as I do to my ride - buy a shell, stick a hot engine in it, and see what kind of performance and mileage I get...
Oh boy, this would be a perfect gift for my Dad. He used to build his own PCs, but he would really enjoy a coffee-shop laptop. A DIY laptop might be fun for him. Gotta think about this some more.

CarloSW2

Old 10-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
BlackDeuceCoupe -

What do you think of Alienware? My IT friend used to like them, but they got eaten by Dell a few years ago.
Same deal...

I'm NOT sure about Dell/Alienware - but I DO know that Alienware built their name on rebadged Clevos, sooo...

If you want to go the Alienware route, I would forget Dell and go straight to Clevo.

LoL!

Here's a '411' for ya, dude...

Clevo Guide v2.0 - FAQ and Reseller Info - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion
Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEngVT View Post
What model Inspiron did you have to replace? I have a nearly 5 year-old Inspiron 5150 and that whole model design is FUBAR from start to finish.
Only Dell can fail to service their crap in spectacular fashion.
What an experience! Good thing DHL stepped up to the plate. If I can prevent sending it out, I'll work on it at home if they let me.

So, I've spent most of the weekend trying to figure out how to back everything up properly, so I haven't been around the site (burnt out on computers). The 250GB/7500 Maxtor (thought it was Seagate earlier) 3.5" drive was made in the 2-month window that had a odd flaw: OS's only recognized 105GB of it during install. That took a morning's worth of getting a DOS boot CD together, flash the drive, etc + 24-hours of backing up over the network with the Vista "Not So Easy" backup (took a few tries). But now it's done, and this could go at any moment.

To answer the question, it was an Inspiron 1520. The AC adapter was just not being recognized and didn't charge the batt or run both cores. They sent 2 adapters and a board to install and instructions (they asked if I was comfortable replacing it myself -- better than the send-away, IMO). For those wanting to build one, it's pretty simple, step-by-step stuff -- more on that in a minute.

My Wife had a 5100 series that died last year. It merely disintegrated. First, the screen hinge mechanism broke away from the plastic, so I had to make my own solution with garage parts (out of warranty). Then, it began to just quit intermittently. I backed it up, used it for about a week until it just died. Replaced it with an E1505 (that one is running fine so far).

Quote:
Yeah, it's all the same schtuff anymore with a few differences. Next time, I'll see if I can build my own. But since the parts are the same, I'm worried about warranties and replacement policies. With a brand name, I get some level of service (albeit crappy). It all depends.

To top it off, I got an e-mail that my 1-year service contract expires in 6-weeks. Freakin' yay. I thought a refurb model would be covered another year from delivery, but apparently not. With the history of this model, I feel that I have no choice but to buy into another warranty.

RH77

_
_
Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Apple is having their next notebook reveal on October 14th. Being in a college that uses primarily Macs (and someone who has abused a macbook for over 2 years), I would highly recommend them. You may also be able to pick up an older refurb model for cheap when the new ones come out.

Sorry you've had to go through so much trouble though,
Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
BlackDeuceCoupe -

Quote:
Same deal...

I'm NOT sure about Dell/Alienware - but I DO know that Alienware built their name on rebadged Clevos, sooo...

If you want to go the Alienware route, I would forget Dell and go straight to Clevo.

LoL!

Here's a '411' for ya, dude...

Clevo Guide v2.0 - FAQ and Reseller Info - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion
You made me curious about the origin of the Dell Latitude D630 (Intel Core 2 Duo T7100, 1.80GHz). Can you tell me the original manufacturer?

Thanks,

CarloSW2

Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Having had to work on Macs (servers, desktops, workstations, and laptops), they're a bit spotty on quality these days. Their "elegant" hardware design is a nightmare to work on.

I'd go homebrew all the way.

As for the HD, I've got a WD Caviar that was cheap and huge and worked fine for about 2 years. Now it's a paperweight that is holding my data hostage. Can't install an OS over it and using it as a slave in a different machine ends up in a "can't boot OS" error. Next time is seagate all the way; ya get what ya pay for.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
BlackDeuceCoupe -

You made me curious about the origin of the Dell Latitude D630 (Intel Core 2 Duo T7100, 1.80GHz). Can you tell me the original manufacturer?

Thanks,

CarloSW2
Dell uses several ODMs, so it all depends... But AFAIK Dell Latitudes are made by Quanta (#1 maker of lappys).

Sorry for not being more definitive, but this stuff is very hush-hush.

LoL!

It took me months to figure out my Toshiba A215 is actually a Compal JAW91 (#2 maker of lappys) with a Toshiba badge, some modifications to hide its true identity, and configured to be sold especially at Circuit City.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I finally got everything moved to the server drive, on to the new Toshiba drive, and kicked the old one out the door.

So then, I found a secondary drive in the server that was the original backup drive until it ran short on space. It had some tunes on it that I lost a while ago. Sweet!

Then, click, click, and that variable drive-speed sound. ****! Then it would intermittently show up in XP, then finally as a having 0.00 GB. I did the Master, Slave, CS, Primary, Secondary combos and nada.

The brand? Yup.

When it absolutely positively has to fail tomorrow, choose WD!

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread