Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: would you buy an electric motorcycle kit?
$1,500-2,000 is still to expensive. 1 6.25%
I need something that can brake the speed of sound! 0 0%
I would want something that was already built. 2 12.50%
I need a range of much more then 20 miles 13 81.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
would you buy an Electric motorcycle kit.

I'm hoping to build an electric motorcycle in the next year or two, my goal is to use off the shelf parts as much as possible and to make multiple parts when it comes to the custom made parts so that I can make a "kit" of sorts, it would basically be the machined parts that are needed then a shopping list for everything else I might try to weld multiple welded parts as well and either offering a battery rack that fits a standard size of battery or letting you weld your own for your own choice of battery, I realize this is going to sound like some lofty goals, but my goal is to have this electric motorcycle design be able to hit highway speeds and cost under $1,500 to build, granted for that price it might only have a 20 mile range, sure you can get a longer range but at a higher price, the speed is more what I'm after as I've ridden enough mopeds that top out at 30-35 that I want something that keeps up with traffic on whatever road you choose to take it on.
I'm hoping to start buying parts for this in the next few weeks and to work on it over the summer, I've worked with electric bicycles enough and have two electric cars that I feel pretty confident in this.
So what I'm wondering is, what kind of market is there for an electric motorcycle kit?

Last edited by Ryland; 02-05-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Build it, test it, prove the concept, and then get back to me...
Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Hopefully you meant to say "break the speed of sound", not "brake at the speed of sound" or (heaven forbid) "break at the speed of sound"?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I am by no means ready to sell anything, my questioning was if a $1,500 build it your self electric motorcycle would be something that there is a market for, I've already turned down one person who wanted to invest in my idea so I could turn it in to a business but I don't want to take any money from anyone until my idea and design is proven, but instead I want to know what the market for kit type electric motorcycles is asking for.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I couldn't help but notice that there's not a single "You bet, sign me up!" choice in your poll, it's all variations on "No I won't, and here's why".

Even though I can't afford even $1500 right now I think that's a pretty good price-also, one can always add more batteries. If I had the time and cash i'd probably pot your kit on a scratchbuilt Trike...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
I think striking forward on the project now is a good idea because the price of petroleum will undoubtedly climb higher than it's ever been before, and those who have a head start on these kinds of projects will benefit for looking forward.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I realized that I should have added that 5th option to the pole after I hit save.
My ideas on making a kit that is cheaper are based off of using common parts, I thought about using fork lift motors but if I'm going to go through the work of making one I might as well make at least 3 of each part and sell the spares if it all works out, but finding three electric fork lifts at the scrap yard that are all the same would require alot of searching, then I realized that my electric car uses a golf cart motor! those are really cheap used, you can get them new as well and you can get nice high performance golf cart motors if you shell out the money and a motor that can propel an electric car should do fine on a motorcycle, only draw back is those motors are rather long and would stick out the side of the motorcycle unless... shaft drive! currently have three shaft drive motorcycles to look at, thanks to craigslist, ranging in from $100-500 in price, now the motors don't have a support bearing on the shaft end and they have a female spline on the shaft... lucky for me I have a brother that said he can make the splined shafts I need to fit the motor to the motorcycle, said he is also willing to write up a CNC program for me in case I wanted to make a small production of them, so it's going to be a few really odd parts that most people can't make so they can fit a common inexpensive motor to a common inexpensive motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by order99 View Post
I couldn't help but notice that there's not a single "You bet, sign me up!" choice in your poll, it's all variations on "No I won't, and here's why".

Even though I can't afford even $1500 right now I think that's a pretty good price-also, one can always add more batteries. If I had the time and cash i'd probably pot your kit on a scratchbuilt Trike...
Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If the kit came with an adaptor/mounting plate for the most common motors (Golf cart, Etek, etc) Then, yes i would be very interested.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
i would really like to see SOME TYPE of ev exceed 150 miles per charge.
this is likely a pipe dream for awhile.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny1989 View Post
If the kit came with an adaptor/mounting plate for the most common motors (Golf cart, Etek, etc) Then, yes i would be very interested.
Yep, that would be my plan, to make a kit that lets you bolt a common motor right on to the motorcycle frame, most people that would want to take on this kind of project either have a welder already, or have a friend who has a welder, so the simple, bulky welded parts I would want to leave to you to build, but the fussy machined parts, like the splined adapter shaft, motor mounting plate and a few other odd parts.
I looked at the Etek motor and found it to be underpowered and expensive so I thought about using two Etek motors but then it would feel cobbled together and expensive, I would rather use a motor that you can buy used from any golf cart shop for $100 and that peeks at 40-50hp.

Reply  Post New Thread