Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Even on my longer trips (rode around Lake Michigan, or down part of the Mississippi), I at most travel 300-400 miles in a day. I am not trying to cover distance in any one day, so a 200 mile range motorcycle designed for a larger frame (height and weight) that can also take along my gear is what I am looking for.
Zero is the best I have ridden so far, but I am wanting a more cruiser style setup.
I have even considered buying an old UJM and a wrecked Zero and putting the Zero drive train in the UJM... But then I think about the garage space, the tools I would need... and I just hope someone makes the bike I am looking for in the next two years (car gets paid off and I can replace my motorcycle).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2020, 03:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
I saw an ad that Harley is doing a Livewire demo special so I booked a demo and took one for a spin. I was surprised that when I showed up the bike was front and center right at the entrance and they had a fancy display showing the Long Way Up trailer.

The Livewire is an impressive bike. Properly quick, turns well, brakes well. Basically nothing one expects from Harley. I hit 95 mph on a short on-ramp. The ergonomics could use some changes - the bar is too low and wide and the seat is a joke. It feels heavy lifting it off the sidestand but that weight isn't noticeable once rolling.

Still way too expensive and lacking basics like Level 2 charging but it does show that Harley can make a proper handling bike if they wanted too. That is a positive sign that the Pan America and Bronx could be good bikes. (It does look like the new CEO killed the Bronx which is a shame)

I was not offered the advertised limited addition t-shirt that came with the test ride.

It was weird being in a Harley dealership and instantly noticing that at 43 I was by far the youngest person in the store besides the receptionist. I doubt there was a customer in the shop younger than 60.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
ldjessee00 (10-01-2020), samwichse (10-14-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
It test road one years ago, when they had the early prototypes out for test rides. (this was around the time it showed up in the Avengers movie)

It sounds like nothing changed in several years.

Which is sad, because Zero makes a superior bike for much less.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
It test road one years ago, when they had the early prototypes out for test rides. (this was around the time it showed up in the Avengers movie)

It sounds like nothing changed in several years.

Which is sad, because Zero makes a superior bike for much less.
I demoed a Zero SR 14.4 last year. I was impressed with the acceleration but not the blending of regen and friction brakes or the suspension. The chassis felt very budget level for a $18,000 motorcycle. The Livewire rode much better than the Zero SR. I haven't had a chance to demo a SR-S yet.

This issue for me is cost and that Harley decided to go with Level 3 charging instead of Level 2 which is a huge miss for me. Level 2 charging is much more common around here and available for free at my work. It should have Level 1, 2, and 3 like cars - especially for that price.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
It was weird being in a Harley dealership and instantly noticing that at 43 I was by far the youngest person in the store besides the receptionist. I doubt there was a customer in the shop younger than 60.
I usually see people around my age (currently 30) riding Sportster, Road King, Softail Standard and Deluxe, while the Electra Glide is favored by older people.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
The Electra glide is like sitting on your couch. The others not so much, so unless I want to get somewhere all beat up feally fast, I prefer the couch.

Had a glide, sporty, crotch rocket 550, honda. Over that now while I collect social security.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
The Electra glide is like sitting on your couch. The others not so much, so unless I want to get somewhere all beat up feally fast, I prefer the couch.

Had a glide, sporty, crotch rocket 550, honda. Over that now while I collect social security.
I've never owned a Harley but I've ridden most of them because I'm an EagleRider member.

I agree that the Electra Glide is like sitting on a couch but that isn't a comfortable riding position to me. With my feet forward I can't stand on the pegs to absorb bumps so all the shock runs right up my spine. This is compounded by the lack of suspension travel.

The most comfortable long distance touring motorcycle I've found is the BMW R1200GS. Plenty of legroom, upright riding position, decent wind protection and lots of suspension travel to soak up the bumps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-09-2020), samwichse (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
I agree that the Electra Glide is like sitting on a couch but that isn't a comfortable riding position to me. With my feet forward I can't stand on the pegs to absorb bumps so all the shock runs right up my spine. This is compounded by the lack of suspension travel.
They're mostly meant for showing off anyway.

Quote:
The most comfortable long distance touring motorcycle I've found is the BMW R1200GS. Plenty of legroom, upright riding position, decent wind protection and lots of suspension travel to soak up the bumps.
I like the flat-twin engine.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
I concur that the R1200gs is the most comfortable bike i have ridden to date.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
I heard a rumor that HD has been delaying the release of this bike because they have had some engineering difficulties. Specifically with making an electric bike that can leak oil all over your shop floor.

Quote:
Yes! R1200's are so comfortable! And smooth riding.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (10-20-2020), redpoint5 (10-14-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread