Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Talking New here from CA in the Bay Area

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say this is a great site and I love reading all the information about it. I currently have a 98 Honda Civic DX but in looking in the future to either buy from what I've read a Honda Civic VX hatchback or a Honda Civic CX hatchback or a Honda Civic HX. Apparently those ones get the best gas mileage and I'm stuck with the California emissions so no lean burn here.

Not sure where to post questions, but I would like to know in your guy's opinion which of these cars in order you would say to buy if I the option of buying one. I plan to commute in the future potential about 150 miles one way and would like to know what your guy's opinion are I read back-and-forth the VX is good but they are really hard to find also the CX and the HX are very similar but not sure which one is better for gas mileage. Not sure which one is better for potential comfort driving that many miles your guys opinion would be great thank you so much appreciate the information!!!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master procastinator

Turan turan - '09 Volkswagen Touran Freestyle

Combot - '04 Opel Combo Tour
90 day: 40.37 mpg (US)
Hello and welcome to the site.
That's a long commute for sure. Are you really going to drive 300 miles a day?
I would get a diesel car for that commute.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
Hello everyone. Just wanted to say this is a great site and I love reading all the information about it. I currently have a 98 Honda Civic DX but in looking in the future to either buy from what I've read a Honda Civic VX hatchback or a Honda Civic CX hatchback or a Honda Civic HX. Apparently those ones get the best gas mileage and I'm stuck with the California emissions so no lean burn here.

Not sure where to post questions, but I would like to know in your guy's opinion which of these cars in order you would say to buy if I the option of buying one. I plan to commute in the future potential about 150 miles one way and would like to know what your guy's opinion are I read back-and-forth the VX is good but they are really hard to find also the CX and the HX are very similar but not sure which one is better for gas mileage. Not sure which one is better for potential comfort driving that many miles your guys opinion would be great thank you so much appreciate the information!!!
The HX and VX both have lean burn in California. Not sure where you got the information that they don't have it.

An insight is also a potential vehicle for you. I used to commute 140mi a day and only burning 2 gallons a day was very nice.

I would recommend

#1: Insight
#2: VX
#3: HX
#4: CX

Also not sure where you got the information that the CX and HX are similar, because they definitely aren't. Unless you are talking about the EK CX, which I'm not even sure there was one? I believe they axed the CX line in 96 when they went from the 'EG' bodystyle to the 'EK' but I could be wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iikhod View Post
Hello and welcome to the site.
That's a long commute for sure. Are you really going to drive 300 miles a day?
I would get a diesel car for that commute.

I appologize for the wrong information. I wasn't thinking of getting a diesel because of the potential cost to fix things maybe. I do own a diesel truck and I think diesels are great motors for mpg and power and reliability though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
The HX and VX both have lean burn in California. Not sure where you got the information that they don't have it.

An insight is also a potential vehicle for you. I used to commute 140mi a day and only burning 2 gallons a day was very nice.

I would recommend

#1: Insight
#2: VX
#3: HX
#4: CX

Also not sure where you got the information that the CX and HX are similar, because they definitely aren't. Unless you are talking about the EK CX, which I'm not even sure there was one? I believe they axed the CX line in 96 when they went from the 'EG' bodystyle to the 'EK' but I could be wrong.

I never really looked into the insights but to be honest I think you are right. Do you or anyone else know the reliability and cost of maintenance with the insights? Any suggestions of what years are good to get and which ones I shouldn't? Thank you for all your help everyone!! Glad this sight is around!!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ems-18892.html

At 300 miles a day, I'd be seriously looking at relocating.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I plan on relocating maybe after 2 years or so. I work at a hospital and there's lots of overtime at this location and I'm helping out my wife while she's in school and we will have a house up there which compared to here in the Bay Area is pretty much out of the question. After she's done we can reasses and I can look for a transfer close by. So a car like this seems ideal. I will only be working 4 days a week

I am seeing 1st gen Honda insists for about $3k or less with about an average of 160k or so on them. Are these considered good deals? (Putting into perspective the link above). Figuring costs for replacing a battery and a engine motor and tranny all seem not too expensive hopefully here and there.

Thank you everyone!!

Reply  Post New Thread