Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
overinflating tires
Some folks underestimate the effect of overinflated tyres on fuel savings.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Welcome. These diesels are capable of really good mileage with a few basic mods and a patient driver. I am including a shameless plug to direct you to a thread I started after 12 years of hypermiling my TDI. It is a combination of eco-driving tutorial and build thread.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...sel-38306.html

I got a ScanGuage and blocked the upper grill right after I got the car and have never removed it since. It runs warm enough for the fans to turn on during long climbs in the Rockies but it cools right off at the summit. Also, I removed the muffler early on and replaced it with a straight pipe with a turn down to exit in the factory location. With the turbo and the cat in place it is not loud. It makes a cute little spooling sound when you shut the motor down though.

I experimented with blocking the intercooler grill in winter but decided it was not for me. Nothing to be gained there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
The Following User Says Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
ssullivan (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jetta - '01 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Nice to meet everyone! Sorry I have not been on in a while. Stoked about the community of diesel owners! I had stalked some of your pages. COCyclist, read your whole writeup, thanks! The numbers these cars can get are are nuts.

I feel like diesels, trucks, MC, EV should at least get top 3 on the front page. Diesels in particular could use the PR. My little rant is that the US govt seems to have received tons of money to kill diesels in the states to sell/burn more petroleum. NOx emissions are not great but I think the reduced CO2 emissions are more important.

Oh and update on the cars: Welded and wired up a hitch receiver, fitted rear airbags and a VR6 rear axle (thicker sway bar, FWD car). Ready to tow, although I do have plans to reinforce the receiver more in the future.

Also had to do some work to my 2003 Beatle TDI which I sold but came back with a bad engine mount. Seems our dry air killed the rubber. I replaced the mount, fromt suspension joints, and found the boost leak that supposedly was created by the engine swinging violently. The woman took it to an ASE certified mechanic who returned it to us with the plastic engine cover unattached. One bolt was missing and the other was not unscrewed, the grommet was just pilled out. Based on the clamp that was missing I suspect he was responsible for the boost leak too but who knows. Poor woman was replacing a Kia that blew the day after a Jiffy Lube. Good examples of why I don't let anyone work on my junk.

Last edited by ssullivan; 08-24-2020 at 12:13 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ssullivan For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jetta - '01 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
I almost lumped it into this thread. More TDI discussion here!

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post630058

Reply  Post New Thread