Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs down Hello from Miami! (modding electric golf cart)

Hello all!

I've been bitten by the Eco- bug. Last year I bought a rotten 1984 Melex golf cart that had been stretched and lifted, with a Mercedes SL body. It was the perfect project to convert into reliable electric transportation.

I built the battery trays to upgrade to 8 6v batteries, used 2/0 gauge welding cable throughout, added a alltrax 500 amp controller, custom built motor, and outfiitted it with various luxuries like a killer stereo, full waterproof trunk (to fill with beer and ice), and all street legal requirements. It goes 22 mph max and has about a 50 mile range.

I have lots of ideas in my head to both further this project and start new ones. Looking forward the helping others in here as well as getting some guidance along the way.

Does this forum work with Tapatalk? I use it quite a bit.
Already having issues uploading images.
FuryousClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	12889

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Welcome to EM!

You can't post pics until 5 posts, but it looks like you figured out a work-around!

Do you have a solar panel or planning on attaching one?

If you clean up the aero a bit, you might be able to squeak out an extra mph or two and/or increase the range.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

The only pic I was able to post was from the original Craigslist ad. I have done miles of work since then and the project has approached electric car more than golf cart. I even had the local food trucks almost not give me the golf cart discount! Looking forward to posting a build thread on here to catch everyone up.

Funny you should mention the aero mods- I plan to chop the top 5", and lower the car another 1". Also, I'm adding a rear window, but I'm not sure if that will make much of a difference.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Also, had some ideas for the next project since I'm approaching the end of this one. I sold my 1968 Plymouth Fury convertible that I spent 12 years restoring, so I have the garage space now. I have always been ticked off at the auto manufacturers for making aesthetically undesirable hybrid/electric vehicles unless you sped six figures on a Tesla or Fiskar. Everything else just doesn't suit my fancy.

I'd like to find a rolling rat rod or hot rod kit car- something lightweight, cool, and inexpensive as a basis for an electric hot rod. Something with decent range, exhilarating speed, and head-turning looks. Also has to seat my family of five and be a convertible. I've even considered building everything from scratch- frame, suspension, body, and all.

Then there's the idea of an electric motorcycle- again, need to find something as a basis that has to be cool. I've always loved the look of the old Indians. Maybe build a cruiser like that.

Building the cart has given me a ton of confidence with regards to fabrication. Even though I did a ton of work in the Fury, I think I learned more in this past year than I ever have- fiberglass, plastic, welding, and overall learning the principles of DC drive systems.

Looking forward to this! Thanks again for the welcomes!

Reply  Post New Thread