Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Carlos,

I'm curious how they will work out for you - please document the install for us accordingly!

Ok, so I know bumping your own thread is kind of lame, but whatever. I settled on these wheels. Pretty cheap, but hopefully they will last.

Nexo NT-05, 16x7 et40 5x100, 18lbs, $82/wheel (!)

Perhaps the best feature of these wheels is that they are actually in stock. It's been a brain busting experience trying to find wheels that meet my strict criteria and are actually available for purchase.

Couldn't resist another gimp trial

Real pics to come upon mounting. Mileage comparison results will be next to impossible to determine, since I haven't run the old 17's since October 2008 and theres just way too many variables going on with my car right now. Seems like every tank fill up I have a new batch of changes to the engine, aero, wheels, weather, etc. I suppose it would help if I ran shorter fill intervals though. 650+ miles per tank spaces them out quite a bit.

You know this gimp experience has me thinking a bit. On some other forums, like vwvortex.com, they have dedicated threads for people requesting photoshopped changes made to their car (what would it look like with new wheels, body kits, etc).
It would be cool if we had the same thing here, to visualize aero mods, etc.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Apparently, I'm too late... but Motegi TrakLite and TL 2.0 are both under 17#.

They're not cheap though... you can buy them at Sears. (Order them at Sears.)

They're not really all that Aero though...

Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Christ, Motegi track-lites are nice wheels, but I find them somewhat unattractive for a VW. I appreciate any and all suggestions though, of course.

And yes, you are too late, because 4 of these bad boys arrived today:

I was very much pleasantly surprised to see that Fedex spec'd the shipment weight at 52 lbs, total! The wheels are all stamped on both sides with the following:

6.90 kg = 15.2 lbs. I'll weigh these sucker tomorrow at work to find out for sure. Really don't understand why wheel retailers won't tell you the weight though...

$418, with shipping and tax, from wheelmax.com. After purchasing, I read a lot of horror stories online about their customer service, but I have to commend them on my experience. 3 days for shipping, exact right order, with all needed accessories.

Can't wait to get them on and finally get onto my Michelin Energy S8 tires! Snow tires are only fun, well, on snow.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Those are defo nice... I bet they're gonna look great on your dub too.

Given those wheels as a used set, and just looking at the pictures you've shown, I can already see a few ounces of "extra" material on them that I'd gladly take off LOL.

Hope they're everything you wanted!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm picking up some used 17's for Cara tomorrow.. they're TSW ReVo, in white, which matches Cara's paint LOL.

5 of them for $90, and the only problems are two of them having slight lip bends in them, which I have the tools to fix on my own!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Those are defo nice... I bet they're gonna look great on your dub too.
Thanks!

[/QUOTE]
Given those wheels as a used set, and just looking at the pictures you've shown, I can already see a few ounces of "extra" material on them that I'd gladly take off LOL.[/QUOTE]

Not getting that, what do you mean? Just the raw shape? They are definitely a form over function design, but if they are really anywhere between 13 and 16 lbs apiece, I'll be very satisfied.

I think the only real issue with wheels this cheap could be whether the clearcoat/finish will start peeling off within a few years...
Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

I just see places that I could "refine" the wheels to lighten them. I dont use lip weights, so both lips could be removed, as well as smoothing out the outer edges (lip edge) of the spokes on the front side.

Obviously, I wouldn't go buy new wheels and do this to them... I'd get them used before considering something like that... the $90 wheels I'm getting tomorrow, are getting a lightening treatment, similar to what I've laid out above.

There's never alot of material that I would shave away for a street wheel, but there's always some! LOL.

That's all I meant by it, nothing derogatory, or anything like that.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Deezler -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezler View Post

6.90 kg = 15.2 lbs. I'll weigh these sucker tomorrow at work to find out for sure. Really don't understand why wheel retailers won't tell you the weight though...

I am curious. I think the VIA is a load rating :

VIA Registration of Aluminum Wheel
Quote:
Q1:What do the JWL marks denote? What does the VIA mark mean? A1: We will provide descriptions and the background of each mark and its related organization.
(1) The JWL mark
The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport established the performance criteria of light alloy wheels. There are standards “Technical standards for Light Alloy Disc Wheels for Passenger Cars” and “Technical standards for Light Alloy Disc Wheels for Trucks and Buses,” and products that have passed these standards should have JWL (for passenger cars) and NWL-T (for tracks and buses) engraved on them. They are voluntarily certified.
Incidentally JWL comes from “Japan Light Alloy Wheel”. (2) VIA mark
As a light alloy wheel is very important in car safety and its quality can affect human lives, any organization that manufactures and sells light alloy wheels or testing organizations that check aftermarket wheels need to be in accordance with the technical standards approved by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, and have registered them. This is known as VIA registration.
Registration is performed by the Japan Light Alloy Automotive Wheel Testing Council (hereafter referred to as “the Council”) and testing and registration are performed by the Japan Vehicle Inspection Association (hereafter referred to as Vehicle Inspection).
VIA is a registered trademark of the Japan Vehicle Inspection Association.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Christ, you're really going to shave the lip off your wheels? What keeps the tire on the rim then? 5 wheels for 90 bucks is hard to argue with. I love van's on tuner wheels, haha. Feel free to post up here or elsewhere when you get them on, I am interested in what you plan to do.

cfg, thanks for the info. I thought it was kind of odd for the weight to be stamped on the rim like that. Load rating makes much more sense...

The wheel is going on the scales at lunch time.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dang. A little heavier than I'd hoped. Fedex got duped by about 25 lbs worth of shipping costs, haha.

For reference, I grabbed a wheel out of the dumpster at work. 15x6 steel rim:

So as for weight, I'm still looking ok, but I'll never know the aero losses....
No remorse though. The plan in the back of my head all along was to keep these wheels mint, and flip them once the Rota's are in stock... we'll see if I find the motivation though.

Reply  Post New Thread