Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Had a chance to work on the car again today. There are three pulleys and a tensioner on the engine - one crank pulley, one A/C compressor pulley, and one pulley that looks like it attaches to the water pump. So far as I can discern, none of them are wobbling or could have been impacted in the collision.

I gave a close inspection of the engine mounts, and none of them are broken.

I looked around for any place there something might have been moved/pushed in, allowing the engine or transmission to transmit vibration, and found nothing.

The car definitely vibrates more in neutral, idle and when rev'd, moreso at some RPM than others, and I can't account for it.

I drove it around a bit. The driver axle definitely needs replacement. It seems fine when driving but it clunks very slightly when shifting, and that concerns me.

I took a look at the clutch area again. To restate, the clutch pedal does nt push in the master cylinder piston as far as it should (clutch engages really, really soon upon lifting the pedal) and also does not press in the clutch switch at the top, which is required to start the car. I inspected the pedal closely, and couldn't find any signs of it being bent.

For good measure I removed the master cylinder and inspected it (nothing visibly wrong), put it back in, and bled the system. Clutch still engages way too soon.

The clutch switch is threaded, and I adjusted it fully inward - probably 5-6 threads farther in - and the pedal still does not fully depress the switch when I push it to the floor, so I have to use my clutch bypass switch to start the car.

Other than the possibility of the pedal being bent (which I can't see), the only other thing I can think of that could cause something like this is if the firewall were bent in right where the pedal stopper is, and it is not (that I can tell). Something is wrong with the geometry in this area and I can't figure out what it is, so I might try getting a replacement clutch pedal assembly and see what happens.

Right now, I'm looking at replacing:
-Driver axle
-rim
-Clutch pedal assembly

Plus an alignment.

Already replaced the tie rod bolt and bent control arm.

The car is drivable with the clutch as it is, but I don't like it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread