Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Help me fix my Insight

My wife was recently in an accident in our Insight, as is detailed in another thread in this section. I've replaced the broken suspension components, but there's a major obstacle to getting it back on the road that still remains: There's something wrong with the clutch.

At first, the car wasn't starting, and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out that when I was pressing the clutch pedal in (to the floor), the pedal was no longer pressing the clutch switch in fully:

Using my clutch bypass switch I was able to start the car, but the first time I tried to back it out of my garage, I discovered that the clutch is engaging waaaaay lower than it used to. I have to press the pedal all the way to the floor for it to disengage the clutch, and when releasing it, it's within the first half inch that the clutch fully grabs.

It doesn't look any different to me, and I can't see any stress lines in the aluminum indicating a bend, but the only thing that makes any sense to me is that the pedal, or perhaps where it mounts to, is bent. I don't have anything to compare it too though.

How far in is the hydraulic piston (?) supposed to go, when the pedal is fully depressed? This is how it looks now:

Out:

Fully in (pedal to the firewall):

Here are some more pictures of the pedals:

This is where the clutch pedal contacts the rubber stop on the firewall:

Any ideas? I don't want to buy a new pedal assembly, only to find it was something else entirely.

~

Also, I'm getting a LOT more vibration than I used to. Here's a video of me revving the car in neutral:

https://youtu.be/wEuEWyzpN0M

The whole car resonates at certain RPM.

I have no CEL, the engine seems to run properly and when I took it for a test drive around the block, it felt like it should, other than the vibrations. I gave a visual inspection and nothing in the engine bay is contacting the engine where it shouldn't, and all of the engine mounts are intact. I'm at a loss as to what's causing it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think you're looking at the wrong end of the system...

I'd guess the slave cylinder got damaged, since you had damage to the front of the car IIRC. Otherwise, check for leaks/ low fluid in the reservoir. Possibly something wrong with the clutch fork.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (03-16-2016), Xist (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My guess would be the release fork got bent. Maybe an adjustment where the slave cylinder meets the release fork would help.

Vibration when running, check the front pulley harmonic balancer, when it is running, see if it is wobbling.

regards
mech
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-15-2016), MobilOne (03-16-2016), Xist (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This is the switch that would normally get pressed in by the white plastic stopper. With the pedal on the floor, it only just touches the tip of the switch, and no longer pushes it in. I can't tell why it no longer pushes the switch in, but it should fully depress it when the clutch pedal hits the floor, even with the master cylinder disconnected from the clutch pedal arm.

EDIT: So, it makes sense to me that if the pedal arm is bent, it would both not fully press the switch and the other end of the pedal arm, when the pedal hits the floor, and also not fully press in the master cylinder.

I can't think of any other reason why the plastic stopper wouldn't press the switch anymore.

Last edited by Ecky; 03-15-2016 at 08:54 PM..
Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
My guess would be the release fork got bent. Maybe an adjustment where the slave cylinder meets the release fork would help.

Vibration when running, check the front pulley harmonic balancer, when it is running, see if it is wobbling.

regards
mech
Thanks Old Mechanic, I'll give it a look when the sun is out tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

LOL, darcane beat me to it by 4 minutes, like minds.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
darcane (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
LOL, darcane beat me to it by 4 minutes, like minds.

regards
mech
Good that I beat you this time. On Daox's Civic thread you and I posted similar responses with you beating me out. That was a couple hours though, I guess I don't refresh often enough or take too much time to write.

It's all good.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In the second to last photo, it looks like the clutch master may be leaking. The rust on the lowest stud head (bracket through firewall) and what looks like a stain on the pad under the master. Also in another photo you can see rust on the shaft where it comes through the rear dust boot on the master.

It might help to bleed the system, but in my experience there is a considerable possibility of the bleeding process to contribute to the rapid and sometimes immediate failure of the master cylinder.

If the reservoir for the master cylinder is low then that would confirm a leak. Make sure it has enough fluid, but bleeding a master that old is a crap shoot.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The original master cylinder was leaking about 6 months ago, and I replaced it with an OEM part. Reservoir is still full, and I expect that's just the evidence of the old leak.

Didn't get a chance to look at the car today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
user removed (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Copy on the replacement which explains the residue, already taken care of.

regards
mech

Reply  Post New Thread