Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Workstar - '01 Ford Windstar SEL
90 day: 20.12 mpg (US)

2003 Expedition - '03 Ford Expedition
90 day: 14.96 mpg (US)
2003 Ford Expedition build thread

Hello everyone. Recently I sold my Dodge Dakota and Ford Explorer and purchased a 2003 Expedition. This was definitely a step backwards in fuel mileage but makes more sense in my needs.

Anyways I plan to keep this thing for a long while and do quite a bit of modding. First simple things I did was upped the tire pressure to 40 psi and removed the luggage rack cross members. My first 2 tanks have yielded a little over 14 mpg...not so great.

Some future stuff I plan to do (in no particular order):
Injector kill switch/pushbutton start
Alternator cut off switch/deep cycle battery
Electric fan conversion
Grille blocks/front air dam/belly pan
2 inch lowering springs
Switching from 265/70/17 tires to 255/75/17 tires or 265/70/18 wheels + tires
Possibly changing front/rear differentials from 3.73 to 3.55 or 3.31

I would love to hear feedback, ideas, comments, concerns, hatred, whatever you want to say.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_082525.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	23754  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grswat View Post
Anyways I plan to keep this thing for a long while and do quite a bit of modding. First simple things I did was upped the tire pressure to 40 psi and removed the luggage rack cross members. My first 2 tanks have yielded a little over 14 mpg...not so great.

Some future stuff I plan to do (in no particular order):
Electric fan conversion
2 inch lowering springs

I would love to hear feedback, ideas, comments, concerns, hatred, whatever you want to say.
Don't tell me its 4wd too...

Go big or go home when it comes to gearing changes.

My mom used to drive a 2012 Explodition EL, she would get 14 mpg with it. She now drives a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and gets 26 mpg. When delivering birdseed with it in essentially ALL CITY driving with lots of stops, me and my older brother would get 13-14 mpg with it. I once squeaked over 20 mpg with it in a city trip, probably the only time that suicidal utility vehicle ever broke 20 mpg in our ownership.

Are you still a mobile mechanic? I would think that a car with a trailer to hold all your tools would be more efficient, but you already made up your mind. Thankfully you came here to find out how to burn less fuel, so we will give you credit for that.

I would focus on things that would help that big engine/transmission warm up faster. Get a block heater and an oil pan heater. Consider making an adjustable grill block and have it completely blocked during warmup. Definitely do the electric fan swap.

There will be plenty of drag from those big tires, if you can make optimized tire deflectors then you can drop tire drag a good bit, and without adding any frontal area.

Name:	IMG_4673 Downsized.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	23755

Name:	Version 3 1.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	23756

Big suicidal utility vehicles like that are known for eating wheel bearings, check yours. Check the brakes too of course, and consider making some brake drag reduction springs.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
Don't tell me its 4wd too...

Go big or go home when it comes to gearing changes.

My mom used to drive a 2012 Explodition EL, she would get 14 mpg with it. She now drives a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and gets 26 mpg. When delivering birdseed with it in essentially ALL CITY driving with lots of stops, me and my older brother would get 13-14 mpg with it. I once squeaked over 20 mpg with it in a city trip, probably the only time that suicidal utility vehicle ever broke 20 mpg in our ownership.

Are you still a mobile mechanic? I would think that a car with a trailer to hold all your tools would be more efficient, but you already made up your mind. Thankfully you came here to find out how to burn less fuel, so we will give you credit for that.

I would focus on things that would help that big engine/transmission warm up faster. Get a block heater and an oil pan heater. Consider making an adjustable grill block and have it completely blocked during warmup. Definitely do the electric fan swap.

There will be plenty of drag from those big tires, if you can make optimized tire deflectors then you can drop tire drag a good bit, and without adding any frontal area.

Attachment 23755

Attachment 23756

Big suicidal utility vehicles like that are known for eating wheel bearings, check yours. Check the brakes too of course, and consider making some brake drag reduction springs.
Yes unfortunately it is 4wd. I looked for 2+ months to find either a 2wd Tahoe or Expedition and just didn't find what I wanted. This one has almost no rust and the price was very reasonable.

I still use my Windstar for work, and it is perfect for that. I kinda let its ecomods stall out but I still use the kill switch and starter and aeromods on it.

This will be used for hauling family/kids and towing cars and eventually a camper. My Dakota was just too small for people and the Explorer didn't have the towing capabilities I needed. If nothing else I have less insurance and maintenance overhead.

I agree with the additional aero mods and the fan swap. I also had the idea if I do change the differentials I could use a significantly smaller tire like a 235/70/17 which would also lower my ride height and kinda reverse the differential change but help with rolling resistance and aero drag.

One selling point on this truck was the front bearings/brakes/calipers/hoses were all replaced a year ago. I plan to replace all the brake lines and rear brakes in the next few months.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
That may be good, even though my first and only attempt of EOC in a vehicle with automatic transmission was quite scary to say the least...

Quote:
Even though some folks claim to do it fine with an alternator delete, I still consider it quite risky. But anyway, would an underdrive pulley be out of question?

Quote:
Electric fan conversion
An electric fan is a quite cheap and easy mod which usually tend to have a great cost-effectiveness. Go for it.

Quote:
Independent rear suspension might make it easier to overcome driveshaft clearance issues with a full-lenght belly pan

Quote:
2 inch lowering springs
Lowered SUVs, especially 4WD ones, look quite odd.

Quote:
Possibly the 255/75/17 would still be better than the 265/70/18 due to a (slightly) lower weight and the narrower tread. But anyway, since you're already considering to swap differentials for taller ones, getting a set of tyres with a larger diameter might become redundant at some point.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That may be good, even though my first and only attempt of EOC in a vehicle with automatic transmission was quite scary to say the least...

Even though some folks claim to do it fine with an alternator delete, I still consider it quite risky. But anyway, would an underdrive pulley be out of question?

An electric fan is a quite cheap and easy mod which usually tend to have a great cost-effectiveness. Go for it.

Independent rear suspension might make it easier to overcome driveshaft clearance issues with a full-lenght belly pan

Lowered SUVs, especially 4WD ones, look quite odd.

Possibly the 255/75/17 would still be better than the 265/70/18 due to a (slightly) lower weight and the narrower tread. But anyway, since you're already considering to swap differentials for taller ones, getting a set of tyres with a larger diameter might become redundant at some point.
I never even thought about an underdrive pulley. I had one on my Dakota. Alternator delete scares me and wouldn't be practical for any future cross country camper trips.

I think this thing looks odd sitting as tall as it does. Seems like there is 6+ inches clearance in the wheel wells.

I will need tires before next winter so my hand will be forced in the next few months. If differentials happen I will probably stick with factory size or even go down size.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
I did some ripm's calcuemalations, and with the stock tire size:

70 mph__

3.73 - 1943 Not bad!
3.55 - 1850
3.31 - 1725

45 mph__

3.73 - 1249
3.55 - 1189
3.31 - 1109

Oh yeah, and I do vote for keeping the stock tire size, or maybe going down to the 255/75/17, I wouldn't suggest going much smaller. As far as studies I have seen, larger tires DO have lower rolling resistance(how?), but I haven't narrowed that down to width vs rim size. If you are going to do lots of highway driving, then the reduced drag from thinner tires will probably outweigh the RR difference.

My gearing vote is still on go big or go home.

Before you get new tires, check the spare. If its really old, then it would be best to put the best old tire on the spare wheel.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 03-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Underdrive pullies are great, meziere electric water pump is an option too, and you might be able to swap to an electric steering rack off of the new f150. i say this because my dad did all that to his 08 Mustang gt and the thing is quick! (2011-14 EPAS swap, UDPs, Meziere EWP, and some more stuff) and gets 29mpg out an auto going 70 down the interstate. Past that Aero the crap out of it and maybe bump the tires to 50.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
I could use a significantly smaller tire like a 235/70/17 which would also lower my ride height and kinda reverse the differential change but help with rolling resistance and aero drag
That makes sense.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Look what I found rolling around my basement. Well I knew it was down there. Fan itself measures about 16 inches. Shroud is 21x23. The Expedition radiator core is 19x27 so it should cover pretty nicely. Or I could trim the fan shroud to fit the Expedition's shroud. Not sure which way is easier/better?

One uncertainty is the fan has 3 wires so I'm not sure what the extra wire is for? Maybe a low speed/high speed? I think it's from a Durango or Grand Cherokee but I honestly don't remember.

And I've got the differential bug I think. Can pick up a used rear 3.31 for $200-300 and front for $150-250. My generation Expedition never came with a 3.31 front end so I am looking at a previous generation. I think the axles will bolt up to it but I guess I will cross that road when I get to it. Or I have to splice axles together.

I think I will start by changing just the rear and just keep the truck in 2wd and it should be fine. Anyone know for sure? Certainly don't want to roast the transfer case. If that goes well I may drop down to a 245 70 17 tire which should be approximately 1 inch smaller in diameter so 1/2 inch lower ride height. Then if I do the 2 inch lowering springs my ground clearance should still be 6.5 inches.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180330_062142.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	23761  
Old 03-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I am 2 for 2 on having free stuff. I measured the resistance of the fan and came up with 1.0 ohm between 2 of the wires. The controller I have is rated for 16 amps so that should work fine. The third wire is still a mystery as it had around 150 ohms to both other wires. Only thing I can figure is it was some kind of return signal to the ecm or a controller. Maybe returning fan speed and it would adjust voltage up or down to the fan. At any rate I'm just going to leave that wire unattached.

Took a quick glance at the engine bay and was a little surprised to find no fuse box under the hood. Guess I will have to run a ignition power wire from inside unless I find something else under hood. My rough measurement of the inside of the shroud is 21-22 inches so with a little trimming I think I can mate the electric fan to the existing shroud.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180330_083747.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	23762  
Reply  Post New Thread