Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Just remembered: I believe I've seen an Insight with both side mirrors replaced by backup cameras.
( Does anyone know why he had the car all jacked up like this with the wheel off ?
It looks mighty dangerous ? )

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

If you notice this drag Insight, they have not only blocked the grill, but added a decklid extention.

( And I forgot to mention the mirrors. )
Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cd View Post
( Does anyone know why he had the car all jacked up like this with the wheel off ?
If I had to guess, it is to show off how little brake wear there is to the friction surfaces. Because he coasts as much as possible, and when he must brake, tries to maximize regen rather than engage the conventional brakes.

Probably gets lots of "oh wow!" reactions when he says, "see these are the original brake pads with 70k miles on the car" (or whatever).
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SilverXX - '02 Honda CBR1100XX

CRX MKIII - '00 Honda Insight

Buttdragger - '90 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cd View Post
If you notice this drag Insight, they have not only blocked the grill, but added a decklid extention.

( And I forgot to mention the mirrors. )
Wow, I wish my car looked mean and awesome like that. Unfortunately I'm running 165's all around so there's no chance of that.

I don't have pics of the underside of my car.

If you've ever seen an Insight's front you'll notice that the splitters in the front are longer in front of the tire tracks.

I wish I could just find some aftermarket suspension to fit on the damn car. It sits way too high and rides way too hard already ...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

I've heard that the springs off an Aveo fit, but they have a stiffer spring rate which isn't going to help. Shock selection for the Insight sucks as well

.Cd, only catch with mounting the license plate like that is the bottom opening isn't that big. I've thought about just bending it so it matches the contour of the bumper and bolt it off to the size. Or run without, and just keep it in the car in case I need it or something.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
.Cd, only catch with mounting the license plate like that is the bottom opening isn't that big. I've thought about just bending it so it matches the contour of the bumper and bolt it off to the size. Or run without, and just keep it in the car in case I need it or something.
Red, I see you're from the SF Bay area... let's hook up sometime. Anyway, I got pulled over twice in one day for my MDX not having a front license plate. Yep, in San Francisco. Not sure if they're cracking down or what. Haven't had a problem with no plate for about 5 years until last week.

Donovan
Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I had to trim the top and bottom half portion of the plate - all total around 1/2 "

I also took off the frame.

( I see your grille is much smaller than a Civics' though. )
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Red, I see you're from the SF Bay area... let's hook up sometime. Anyway, I got pulled over twice in one day for my MDX not having a front license plate. Yep, in San Francisco. Not sure if they're cracking down or what. Haven't had a problem with no plate for about 5 years until last week.

Donovan
Yeah we should hook up, as soon as I can get the clutch squared away on mine.
SF cops have nothing better to do with themselves.....

I ran the Jeep without a front plate after I got it, anytime I was asked saying it was torn off from a rock then showing the plate got me out of it. The Insight would be a little harder to pull off.

Can you legally cut up a license plate?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ze Future Beam - '00 honda insight
90 day: 66.23 mpg (US)
many have gotten off by just saying they didnt have the proper bracket or drilling, as the insight generally is not drilled in the front but rather underneath. I would just say the car has not yet been drilled for the bracket, and have the plate in the car with a standard bracket, so they think you need the front holes rather than the ones you already have. The license plate on my car though is the only thing that keeps people from messing up my car, as I keep my car on ny streets. It has also kept many a bumper from being cracked on insights involved in minor collisions. Needless to say, if I didnt live in the city, and weren't so concerned with keeping the car in as good a shape as possible, I'd love to relieve the cd of such a handicap.
frank
Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by budomove View Post
many have gotten off by just saying they didnt have the proper bracket or drilling, as the insight generally is not drilled in the front but rather underneath. I would just say the car has not yet been drilled for the bracket, and have the plate in the car with a standard bracket, so they think you need the front holes rather than the ones you already have. The license plate on my car though is the only thing that keeps people from messing up my car, seeing as I keep my car on ny streets. Also, many have said that it keeps the bumper from being cracked in minor collisions. Needless to say, if I didnt live in the city, and weren't so concerned with keeping the car in as good a shape as possible, I'd love to relieve the cd of such a handicap.
frank
I actually wonder if one of those smooth plastic license plate covers would help aerodynamics of the plate. People usually use them on the back, they look like a shallow bubble of plastic that covers the plate...

Reply  Post New Thread