Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Update

Drove 100km today couldn't tell if gas needle moved or not. It still hesitated, only part throttle acceleration every gear but 1st, but it felt like lean burn misfire. I say this because 1st gear is the only gear without lean burn. Also I beat on it brought to it 160km during this drive. I did another partial compression check in 4 and 3 160 and 140. This was right after the drive. I also smelled the occasional burned oil smell after the beatings. Yes I did a couple 123 gear pulls. I figure if the motor wants to blow I'll blow it right now but it didn't blow so I'll continue with diagnosing with your help.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX.hatch View Post
I did another partial compression check in 4 and 3 160 and 140.
Compression should be 210psi on a healthy engine, are you checking it with the throttle wide open?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Compression should be 210psi on a healthy engine, are you checking it with the throttle wide open?
Nope just pulling plugs and cranking. I read somewhere 180psi was a healthy d-series. Either way when its warm the compression reading I had are scary low.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Plain - '91 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 33.14 mpg (US)
If you haven't been tracking compression, it's hard to tell what's bad. Consistency is what you should be looking for on an otherwise unfamiliar engine.

I'd focus on why that one plug is wet first.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Hot engine, throttle open, pull all the plugs. After first check put a little oil in the cylinder and see if that makes the compression much higher which would indicate tired rings.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Ryland (11-17-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I read and watched a youtube video and I did it the way he showed but thanks for clearing that up. Also the wet plug isn't always wet. I took it for a drive and pulled it and it was dry white. I noticed that if the weather calls for snow or rain the car runs worse and the plugs becomes wet.

Update: Yesterday I went for a drive and there was a minor sputter, a lot less than what it was doing. Anyways kept driving and then it started to rain. The sputter became a really bad jerk while driving. The car struggled in everyway. I'm really starting to think the distributor is bad as I can't think of any other reason why the weather would have such an effect. Also the car has 200km and the needle might have moved.

Thank you all for input and I'll keep you updated.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
I would add another engine to frame ground wire. I have had a few Honda's that acted funny when the weather changes and it turned out they needed a good engine ground. Its a cheap thing to do and no matter what its usually needed.

The other thing I would do is make a sleeve out of masking tapes on the spark plug wires the part that goes into the valve cover (like a tube). This will show if there is spark jumping across at the boot area (if so it leaves a black burn mark on the tape).

Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX.hatch View Post
I read and watched a youtube video and I did it the way he showed but thanks for clearing that up. Also the wet plug isn't always wet. I took it for a drive and pulled it and it was dry white. I noticed that if the weather calls for snow or rain the car runs worse and the plugs becomes wet.

Update: Yesterday I went for a drive and there was a minor sputter, a lot less than what it was doing. Anyways kept driving and then it started to rain. The sputter became a really bad jerk while driving. The car struggled in everyway. I'm really starting to think the distributor is bad as I can't think of any other reason why the weather would have such an effect. Also the car has 200km and the needle might have moved.

Thank you all for input and I'll keep you updated.
Sounds like plug wires. I suggested in an earlier post to change the plug AND THE WIRE on the suspect cylinder. I learned about plug wires the hard way at age 17, spending over a week figuring out that they could go bad.

46 years ago.

Swap the wire with one of your brothers, since he has a bad distributor.

Take a spritzer bottle and spray water on your running engine at night and look for the light show.

regards
Mech
Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions and I will do. I already doubled up my grounds because I was to lazy to remove my old ones when I put on new ones. I ordered wires and they will be in tomorrow.

HOWEVER, I installed the new, not reman, distributor and the sputter/jerk has seemed to disappear. The car also feels like it has a LOT more power. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix or just masking the problem.

Either way I want to sincerely thank all of you for you help and knowledge you bestowed on me.

Reply  Post New Thread