Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #191 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
Cool - thanks for the numbers, CyrusCosmo!

I'm glad my response didn't bug you; often people don't talk about it, you just notice a lack of enthusiasm or participation. I certainly don't want to get into a "my tool is bigger" contest, especially with the tools I have...

When I first started thinking about this, the AC Propulsion motor was about the only high performance AC option. It was way out of my budget, so I spent some serious time looking into small, efficient trannies that would work. Unfortunately, everything I found was "custom" and expensive as well. The options available now - batteries, motors, trannies, etc - make this really fun!

I'll put together a spreadsheet with some form of combined output torque and speed graph. I'm really curious to see how this will work out. Oh yeah, would you have weight #'s for the C4 and a scoobie diff? It seems it would be good to compare the system performance.
LOL I am already a bit envious of your mill... by the way what size is it? I will just make sure to get one a couple inches 'Larger"

One of the reasons I like the C4, is that it has two bands. Properly adjusted they do not touch the rotating mass when in direct drive so the losses can be numbered as two ball bearings and a couple slip rings for hydraulic power transfer to the internal clutches. The other is that they already come with a user modification and after market data base with thousands of parts that are not OEM.

Lets see. I would guess the transmission after mods to be about 30 pounds tops. The guts are about 6 inches in diameter by about nine. The trans-axle version would be maybe 50? Unless I get really carried away with a thicker than needed aluminium case.

I will have to see about weighing those parts. The subie trans is still all in one piece though but the trans-axle version was not going to be the first one made.

Cyruscosmo

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #192 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Cool

Yea! I found it again!

Here's an AWD EV racecar that actually raced against ICE cars and won! - both in Autocross and 30(ish) mile track races.

Welcome to ProEV.com

It uses scoobie differentials front and rear tied to siemens induction motors.

There's some pretty cool and inspiring stuff at this website.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #193 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf - '11 Nissan Leaf SL

Tesla - '19 Tesla Model 3 SR

BMW - '14 BMW i3 REX

TSLA - '13 Tesla Model S 85
This has nothing to do with the MGR, but since you brought up racing, here is a cool racing series of electric cars that I follow for the past few years. Lots of fun to watch them sliding around in silence.

trophee - Accueil

Trophée Andros Electrique Begins New Racing Season In Val Thorens (w/videos) | Inside EVs

The new season is approaching.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #194 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I forgive everyone.

I like vertical axis windmills. Are you thinking lift or drag?

Ontopic, I got together with my buyer* and found out how soon the money runs out ($1300) and ordered the crossbar (52380F) and bushings (41654B, 41653D, 41651G) to mount the MGR. Once that crossbar is in hand I will be able to design the front mount.

Any news on the axleshafts?

*the guy has a barn-full of restored VWs and I got him to watch the Zelectric video. He noticed the $45K asking price, and has a [flakey] machinist he needs to keep busy.
Lift... Do you know of the Black Hawk VAWT/AR? That project will be up next summer after I finish a few other things.

Cyruscosmo
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyruscosmo For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #195 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Does anyone follow NeilBlanchard's CarBEN thread? He posted a picture of his proposed unit, an EV transaxle from Gertag with a motor from BRUSA.

I have no idea of the cost, but the problem I see is that there is a shaft running through the motor to the offside axle flange. That's going to mean a wide vehicle or short axle-shafts. The more I see the more I like the Toyo/Lexus design.

Cyruscosmo -- I will peruse https://www.google.com/search?q=Black+Hawk+VAWT%2FAR

The kid at the shop who does the ordering called a local yard, they didn't have the parts, so he's getting new prices! I'll have to find the vendor for my MGR or some other source myself. And a source for the custom axle shafts.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (11-12-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 01:16 AM   #196 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Does anyone follow NeilBlanchard's CarBEN thread? He posted a picture of his proposed unit, an EV transaxle from Gertag with a motor from BRUSA.

I have no idea of the cost, but the problem I see is that there is a shaft running through the motor to the offside axle flange. That's going to mean a wide vehicle or short axle-shafts. The more I see the more I like the Toyo/Lexus design.

Cyruscosmo -- I will peruse https://www.google.com/search?q=Black+Hawk+VAWT%2FAR

The kid at the shop who does the ordering called a local yard, they didn't have the parts, so he's getting new prices! I'll have to find the vendor for my MGR or some other source myself. And a source for the custom axle shafts.

Do a search on ebay for this number... G105048010 That is the part number for the MGR. Send a message to the sellers who have these listed and ask about buying the parts they no doubt just throw in the scrap bin. That unit is mounted in a sub frame which they have to drop out of the vehicle to remove the MGR.

Things like nuts, bolts, bushings, brackets just ended up in the scrap barrel when I worked at a salvage yard removing parts. When people buy those parts they typically have all the misc items they need. The main broken part is all they want to buy because they have the rest.

You are doing a custom job and need all those misc parts that they just scrap. My guess is they will jump at the idea of making a little extra on parts they have to remove anyway....

You may as well ask for the axles too because you are going to need the inner CV's to go with the outer CV's of the Bug.

It's worth a try...

Cyruscosmo
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyruscosmo For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #197 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The axles and the big orange cables.

I'd love to see a picture of the subframe, to get some idea of the forces it needs to resist; but the shipping might be problematic.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #198 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:

I'd love to see a picture of the subframe, to get some idea of the forces it needs to resist; but the shipping might be problematic.
Yes! Any line on those cables would be really nice. I'd also love a line on those half shafts.

BTW, the MGR's have an extension on the power cable connection - it's kind of like the plug for the big orange cables. It might work out as a great 3d printer project to make some cable connectors.

- E*clipse
Old 11-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #199 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:

Found one that someone was parting out on the C list. 2008-2010 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER PARTS

In the last picture you can see the sub-frame still has the rear two hole round rubber mount attached. On the upper cross piece of that frame is two shoulders where the front cross rubber mounts go. It appears that one lower control arm is still attached to the sub-frame.

Cyruscosmo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyruscosmo For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-14-2014), thingstodo (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #200 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks! He's asking $150. I can call back this afternoon for the dimensions. Shipping might kill the deal, but my son lives in Federal Way and he might need a visit, if it will fit through the door of my car.

If I cut the outriggers off (it appears they carry the rear suspension) it might suit my need. The one axle he has is for the front.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (11-14-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
highlander hybrid, lexus rx400h, mgr, q211