Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #291 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl62 View Post
For the Leaf cells I've always used 4c continuous and 9c peak, which is what Hybrid Auto Center states. That would allow 2p. Remember that Enerdel 2p would be 35Ah, while Leaf 2p would be 62Ah... not exactly apples to apples.

For the capacity I am after (~29kWh) I would need 6p Leaf cells anyway, for capacity not peak current.

Remember, the temp rise of the bus bars at peak current is probably much less than the temp rise of the cells! I just need to keep it mind. I am thinking of implementing cooling via these Wakefield-Vette cooling plates.
You're right - it isn't exactly apples to apples - that's what makes it interesting!

I'm definitely not trying to argue that the Leaf is a better option. In fact I'm looking for a lighter solution, if I can find one. The Enerdel option gives more room for tuning the voltage-capacity-current capability of the pack.

That said, here is some Leaf battery testing info:
http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/fsev/batteryleaf0356.pdf

In my case, I'm trying to meet the voltage requirements of the motor - it's driving the Nissan Leaf pack to be about twice my required capacity, at over 40kWh. I really only need 20kWh.

Thank you for the cooling link. BTW, I'm toying with pre-chilling the pack as a solution. Put it in an insulated box and cool it while charging. There is a lot of mass - which is thermal mass, after all - in a battery pack. It might just work for the 1 or 2 hours it's being used.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #292 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here's a spreadsheet I have put together to try to compare all the different commonly available cells and come up with a solution. Just adjust the green values on the first sheet, and the numbers will update on the second sheet to reflect the necessary cells needed for your requirements. I add more rows with parameters as I need them and more columns as I find different cells. The pricing may not be the latest for some of them, but it's close, and your own purchase power might differ from mine...

The conditional formatting was for my own needs, but you can change those for yours.

I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Batteries.zip (43.5 KB, 24 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to pearl62 For This Useful Post:
e*clipse (09-09-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #293 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Is this the MGR?

06 14 Highlander Rear Drive Axle Electric Motor 127K | eBay

If so, I may have to pick one up .. for testing ..
Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #294 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
There may be one in that pile. If there is it's upside down in the middle. The part number is earlier in this thread.

It appears that it may have an oil return line for the optional trailer-towing package. That would be neat. Try to get the orange cable and connector and the mounting crossbar and bushings if you can.

The price is good, and free shipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #295 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

I'd second that. I'm pretty intimately familiar with these, and I couldn't see one in that pile - in fact they look like standard differentials.

I'd definitely get a better picture of the item before committing any $$$.

- E*clipse
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #296 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
I dug out the posting with the part number and posted a question to confirm that the picture matches the part number

Interchange Part Number:
300-65002

And I asked for the orange cables and connectors/mounting crossbar and bushings that freebeard mentioned. We'll see if I get a response, and what the response is.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #297 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
I dug out the posting with the part number and posted a question to confirm that the picture matches the part number

Interchange Part Number:
300-65002

And I asked for the orange cables and connectors/mounting crossbar and bushings that freebeard mentioned. We'll see if I get a response, and what the response is.
On the first page of this thread, I posted outside pics of the MGR from top, bottom, sides, etc. Also, later in the thread I posted some pics of the internals.

Perhaps my vision is getting worse, but I just didn't see one in the listing pics. Some details I noticed - On the MGR, the output flanges are not round, and they have studs for the CV joint mounting bolts. Further, the output flanges are not removable from the output shaft - so no keyway or bolt to hold them on. Obviously, there is no input flange...

- E*clipse
Old 09-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #298 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm still hopeful; maybe the picture is in error.

One thing about the example I got, one of the upper forward mounting bosses has a crack. I think it can be welded up.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #299 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

I'm hopeful too! I'd love to see thingstodo working with this.

freebeard, what timeline are you on for getting it running?

I'm also working on a parallel motor case, so I'll have a pair of empty cases sometime in the future...

E*clipse
Old 09-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #300 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

At this point I'm hoarding it.

I have a stroker 1776 VW engine (the legendary 'mileage motor') that's been on the shelf longer than the MGR that I should probably do something with first.

I now have a fuller appreciation of the need for DC-DC converters, chargers, heaters, heated/cooled battery boxes and all. I follow EVTV on CAN Bus and those new solid-state batteries. It looks like things will change a lot by the time I'm ready to move forward. I lurk in the AC controller thread to keep up on that. I got excited and jumped in a little early.

My goal now is to put a 1/3 scale model into the Darko windtunnel in 2016. My Cortez motorhome is gone so I can't use the drivetrain from it. The Lexus MGR should push something the size of a VW bus. Basically this about 8/10ths the size.

The worlds-fastest record is up to 138MPH, so that's out.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
highlander hybrid, lexus rx400h, mgr, q211