Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #311 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
yes but based on my actual driving, you are running anywhere from a (SWAG) AVERAGE 30 to 75% duty cycle depending on terrain, traffic lights, aero drag, and jerks in rice rockets. therefore a large reservoir tank kinda negated the need for really efficient radiators.

for example, the manufacturers commutator max on my Kostov is 425 ish amps @ 192V which I regularly exceed on monster hill, but only for 4 minutes which is just at the temperature limit on the motor. If there is honda jerk at the light midway up monster hill, the overtemp light goes on near the top which throttles back the controller. battery Coolant tank records only perhaps 1 degree of temp increase and there is another 10 minutes to cycle before end of trip which is a lot of coasting.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #312 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Ok, sure.

But this is not the "keeping the stock performance of the MGR" thread.

***edit***
I'm sorry for the snarky response - I've cut most of it out. I'm attempting to be more positive here.

I hear you in that the mass of the motor can be used for short bursts of considerably more than the rated power. That definitely is an advantage of an electric motor of any type. It has been taken to extremes by the EV drag-racing crowd, who can start with an almost cold motor and race for less than 15 seconds.

However, one my goals is to use the car for road racing track days. The motor(s) - this will be one of four - will be pushed to their max the entire time. That time will be limited by the energy stored in the battery - between 20 and 30 minutes. If I run up against thermal limiting for the motor, I'll need to work more on the cooling system.

Electric drive has real potential for outperforming IC systems. I intend to explore that.

- E*clipse

Last edited by e*clipse; 10-17-2015 at 01:28 PM..
Old 10-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #313 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Have you figured out the inlet and outlet for the Korean/towing external cooler option?

It sounds like your author is saying a radiator is really a convector. Beetle owners are pretty comfortable with pumped air and an oil cooler.

I'm glad your not letting go of this. I've stalled out. It looks like the 1776 VW motor I have should go in the car I have, and then when the charger and inverter and bits and bobs fall into my lap maybe batteries will be totally different than what I can buy today.

I would like to see the Lexus MGR in the front of a reverse tricycle. A belly tank with the VW Rabbit front sheetmetal chopped down to fit inside. aerohead has challenged me to put a 1/3 scale model it the Darko wind tunnel in 2016. So that's probably next.

How does the increased cooling capacity lead to improved efficiency? You can pour more energy through it. Does the efficiency come from down sized and weighted components?

Last edited by freebeard; 10-17-2015 at 05:53 PM..
Old 10-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #314 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Have you figured out the inlet and outlet for the Korean/towing external cooler option?

It sounds like your author is saying a radiator is really a convector. Beetle owners are pretty comfortable with pumped air and an oil cooler.

I'm glad your not letting go of this. I've stalled out. It looks like the 1776 VW motor I have should go in the car I have, and then when the charger and inverter and bits and bobs fall into my lap maybe batteries will be totally different than what I can buy today.

I would like to see the Lexus MGR in the front of a reverse tricycle. A belly tank with the VW Rabbit front sheetmetal chopped down to fit inside. aerohead has challenged me to put a 1/3 scale model it the Darko wind tunnel in 2016. So that's probably next.

How does the increased cooling capacity lead to improved efficiency? You can pour more energy through it. Does the efficiency come from down sized and weighted components?
I honestly haven't looked into the Korean towing option. I think there is a lot of good stuff out there in the performance parts markets that is of equal or better quality compared to OE with much more design freedom.

I can see how it would improve efficiency in mid to medium power levels: The windings in the motor are copper, which increases resistance as temperature increases. So if the motor can be kept about 100F lower in temperature because of a good cooling system, there would be a significant reduction in winding resistance.

I've been working on the dual motor system with a built-in oil pump. I just met with a CNC shop for parts quotes. I'll post some pics of the solid model here soon.

- E*clipse
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-18-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #315 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

No offense taken, but I have seen on this forum people going out to ten significant places where reality uses only whole integers.

Btw btdt. SCCA member 1970 to 1975 when I acquired CFO that ended career.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #316 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
No offense taken, but I have seen...
None, certainly, intended.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #317 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

No worries, freebeard - I think he was referring to my post.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #318 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

taken/intended
Old 10-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #319 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
No offense taken, but I have seen on this forum people going out to ten significant places where reality uses only whole integers.

Btw btdt. SCCA member 1970 to 1975 when I acquired CFO that ended career.
Oh, I see - the CFO's like the glamor of racing, but the real world of racing not so much!

On racing - I would love for this car to be able to hang w/ the SCCA spec Miata class. Just get an EV to be able to play w/ the gas cars...no apologies.

- E*clipse
Old 10-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #320 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

No, fast racing co$t$ $$$. CFO diasgrees with net benefit/ expense ratio.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled topic.

Tags
highlander hybrid, lexus rx400h, mgr, q211