Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2023, 10:29 PM   #411 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,113 Times in 982 Posts
What i understand is that you need to power the field to get more thsn residual currents induced. It's a generated rotating field in the rotor that does the work and it is not a feedback system like an alternator. No mention of cogging over on DIYELECTRIC CAR.

freebeard (04-28-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2023, 01:49 AM   #412 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I may consider using it for a generator in a micro-hydro installation.
My father once did something similar, using a normal 12-volt alternator, in the house of a maid who didn't have a regular electric power source at home, when it was usual for some folks in Manaus to live off the grid and having to use a car battery as the power source for appliances, and having to take the battery once in a while to get recharged somewhere else. Many slums in Manaus used to be built on stilts at a riverside until around 20 years ago, so that was a rather easy way to get cheap electric power and not having to carry a rather heavy battery around in order to get a recharge once needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-04-2023), freebeard (04-28-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 10:55 AM   #413 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'quanta for Lexus RX 450h'

Here's the math I came up with for the Lexus variant.
I'll show all steps:
* 10,500 rpm @ motor divided by 6.86:1 differential gear set = 1530.6 rpm @ half-shaft, CV-joints, and wheel hub.
* The LEXUS P235 / 55R 18 tires:
- @ 55% aspect ratio = 129.25mm tire section height
- Revolved around the wheel bead surface = 258.5mm added to create the tire diameter
- equaling 715.7mm Diameter
- divided by 25.4 = 28.17716-inches
- multiplied by pi = 88.52117-inch static circumference
- divided by 12.0 = 7.3767-linear feet per revolution
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* @ 1530.6 rpm times 60 = 91,836 revolutions / hour
* times 7.3767 surface-feet / revolution = 677,446.62- feet / hour
* divided by 5,280 = 128.3-mph ( geared )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The RX 450h is electronically-limited to 93-mph ( 149.669-km/h ):
- 1109.4 rpm @ axle
- 7,610.4 rpm @ motor
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The LEXUS may 'do' only 35-mph as EV-only, while simultaneously being capable of 'boosting' to the 93-mph top speed.
* The 2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray, AWD hybrid provides for up to 4-miles range, at up to 45-mph, in the EV-only 'STEALTH' mode, while providing pulling power up to 150-mph ( 241.4 km/h ), @ 18,500-rpm.
* The 2013 VW Jetta hybrid Bonneville land speed record car provided electric boost up to 187.147-mph ( 304.94 km/h )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So we might think of these electric packages as 'dual-purpose'
I think the Toyota MGR unit would be great for projects!
I originally blew the thread off, as soon as I read 'Hot-Rodding'.
freebeard (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #414 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'The high-voltage issue'

Toyota Motors has been acquainted with DC- to- DC 'up-converters' since their 1993 solar racing project.
This would be something to look for at the boneyard.
Metal Oxide Semiconductor- Gate Bipolar Transistors provide for very high- frequency switching of high-voltage and high-current, with very low forwards voltage drop 'on resistance' .
Flat-wire conductors amplify the surface area which accommodates high amperage, operating cooler, with less voltage drop, and high efficiency. They're not as fast as MOSFETs, but their durability monsters.
These 'amplifiers' may be what actually boosts the nominal battery voltage up to the motor operating voltage. Don't know!
Old 05-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #415 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Thanks. Okay if I quote you to the people who rejected it?

Also, It's available!

I don't expect to have the controller (I was anticipating the Open Revolt controller would be available) or battery bank.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #416 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'Okay?'

Quote:
Thanks. Okay if I quote you to the people who rejected it?

Also, It's available!

I don't expect to have the controller (I was anticipating the Open Revolt controller would be available) or battery bank.
Sure! If I've blown the logic of it I'll be happy to own it. We'll all benefit.
I've got that 1970 Karmann-Ghia which could be repurposed. And I've resisted biting on some EV conversion schemes, simply because of their lack of regen capability.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imagine having 96-lb-ft @ from zero-rpm, compared to 81-lb-ft @ 4,000-rpm with a 1,600 Air-cooled!
68-hp wouldn't be shabby either!
And Regen, something many $10,000 conversions don't offer.
The challenge would be that high-voltage.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:18 PM   #417 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Your analysis will weaponize my counterargument.

As I understand, with a single speed you want twice the horsepower to compensate for not having a low gear. This compares well with the original 36HP.

Somewhere I did an analysis of the weights involved (to include that shift rod), and deduced the electrified vehicle would have close to the stock dry weight. Especially with the newest batteries just announced.

Hanging a motor on the transaxle would weigh at least twice as much, and just burn up clutches.

If you want me to deliver, maybe we could meet halfway -- at Bonneville.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-08-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 02:13 AM   #418 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I've got that 1970 Karmann-Ghia which could be repurposed. And I've resisted biting on some EV conversion schemes, simply because of their lack of regen capability.
You may eventually say a better-performing electric powertrain is cool and all, but converting a classic into an EV is not my cup of tea. Odd enough, as long as a good ol' ICE remains the primary motive power, a conversion to hybrid doesn't sound too shocking (no pun intended) to me.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:17 AM   #419 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,113 Times in 982 Posts
Gearing isn't such a big deal if you have high enough pack voltage to overcome back emf rotating at very high rpm.

In the ranger with the Kostov, it accelerates in any forward gear just like using a small block chevy. however in first gear I don't have enough voltage to run it at 6,000 rpm redline and actually make much power. 4krpm is kinda the limit with 196 vdc and 500 amps.

Net result: places to put enough battery to get acceptable range and voltage out of an ancient gasser are difficult to come by.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:02 PM   #420 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'Bonneville'

Quote:
Your analysis will weaponize my counterargument.

As I understand, with a single speed you want twice the horsepower to compensate for not having a low gear. This compares well with the original 36HP.

Somewhere I did an analysis of the weights involved (to include that shift rod), and deduced the electrified vehicle would have close to the stock dry weight. Especially with the newest batteries just announced.

Hanging a motor on the transaxle would weigh at least twice as much, and just burn up clutches.

If you want me to deliver, maybe we could meet halfway -- at Bonneville.
I appreciate it!
But Mooresville, North Carolina's gonna happen before I do anything else.
I've been looking at that new boat-tail and stinger since 2017, and it hasn't budged a millimeter. And it's been 'in the way' all this time!
I've got a shot at breaking 40-mpg in 'Spirit' for the first time and I'd like to experience that before I kick off.
I do want to see the salt flats again, and maybe when Gumby79's racing his Cummins Dodge there for a record. And the 85-mph bikes at Battle Mountain. Giga-Factory, Sparks, Nevada,........................................... ....

freebeard (05-08-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
highlander hybrid, lexus rx400h, mgr, q211