Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I'm not in competition with anyone, I just chose not to be part of the problem.

This scenario may or may not fit you personally - "The company just cannot afford to give you a raise this year -fuel costs are going up..."

Wonder why?

It doesn't make any more sense to waste something that someone else paid for than it would to waste your own things. If wasting resources is fun for you, I'm afraid we don't share the same definition of fun.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (06-11-2011), G. Man (07-17-2011), Piwoslaw (06-13-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I'm not in competition with anyone, I just chose not to be part of the problem.
Would be pretty cool though if the company set a baseline mpg, and you could recoup ~half the $ from all the gas you save my ecodriving.

Assuming they keep track of the odometer and gas consumption, I wonder if anyone has ever thought "is this gas receipt correct!?".
Old 06-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Underground Man

Lil Blue - '91 Geo Metro
90 day: 52.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
If wasting resources is fun for you, I'm afraid we don't share the same definition of fun.
Driving fast can be fun because it optimizes time, because high speeds require more focus, and as a way to show off your driving skills.

Hypermiling wastes the resource of time. So let's not be deluded about any of this, saving in one category is wasting in another, and it's all fun to someone.

Total wasting can be fun for rich people.

Total wasting of the resources at the expense of someone you don't care about or don't like can be fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to actwithclarity For This Useful Post:
khafra (06-22-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actwithclarity View Post
Hypermiling wastes the resource of time. So let's not be deluded about any of this, saving in one category is wasting in another, and it's all fun to someone.
That statement is correct when talking about highway speeds. Ex. 70 will get you there faster than 60mph (if your only concern is time - not gas). You're correct in that regard; I won't dispute it.

However, hypermiling consists of a lot of different tools for the job. Speeding up to a red light saves zero time. It only wastes fuel. In fact, doing this frequently will eventually add up to more trips to the gas station - even if it is on a micro-scale. Same with tailgating. Driving with a buffer saves gas, but how much time does it cost you? 3 seconds for a few extra car lengths? Maybe, if that.

Another tip that saves gas, but costs no time is reducing idle time. Having the engine on with no intention to actually go anywhere is pure waste. You see where I'm going with this.

So faster speeds only save time on the highway, when there are no other traffic-based situations that affect your commute.

That's an interesting way to look at it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodak For This Useful Post:
Cd (06-14-2011), Christ (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hmmmmm!
I see many wheels clicking in the minds of these previous posts!

In this sue happy USA, do you really want to invite a stranger to bump your car.? I see the makings of a whole new Dual movie. ( Steven Spielberg's flick w Dennis Weaver in his Plymouth Valiant)

That would be like inviting Kyle Busch to be nice to your car???

I have always driven company vehicles as nice as if my own. On last job, was able to get 8mpg out of a 10wheeler w 35' trailer around town which is good, but most employers are not even smart enough to notice or care. That should not change your attitude though. Do onto others........................ Waste is waste no matter who owns the veh.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
Cd (06-14-2011), Christ (06-13-2011), Frank Lee (06-13-2011), UFO (06-14-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
Would be pretty cool though if the company set a baseline mpg, and you could recoup ~half the $ from all the gas you save my ecodriving.

Assuming they keep track of the odometer and gas consumption, I wonder if anyone has ever thought "is this gas receipt correct!?".
I used the same vehicle for a series of runs over about 2 weeks, averaging close to 1500 miles per week, which caused the 5000 mile average to come up enough that the district coordinator called me into his office to talk about it.

A good step toward starting that fuel economy bonus program I want, he stayed watching the tracking program to notice when I turn the engine off, how I drive in general, etc.

On my WORST days, I can't match the AVERAGE of any or all of the other drivers.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Originally Posted by Cd
Quote:
If you really want to drive slow and not anger the people behind you, you could always just place a large note on your back window that says " Transmission problems - please pass ".
That would be the polite thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Driving a car with technical defects is an offence here.
Large notes and bumper stickers are not necessarily true. As far as I know they are not illegal (yet). However they are expressions made with intent to influence.

I can remember two from the 1970's:

"Beware of flying parts"

"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you"

The former shows humor and a (usually obvious) lack of resources for vehicle maintenance, virtually always apparent in the overall appearance of the jalopy.

The latter shows an attitude of resentment: one of hubris and the imposition of a supposed moral superiority by intentionally impeding the flow of traffic.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Underground Man

Lil Blue - '91 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you"
Funny! I don't think I'd put that on my beloved car, would make a lot of enemies.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
I have always driven company vehicles as nice as if my own. On last job, was able to get 8mpg out of a 10wheeler w 35' trailer around town which is good, but most employers are not even smart enough to notice or care. That should not change your attitude though. Do onto others........................ Waste is waste no matter who owns the veh.
I once had a job that required a lot of driving with company vehicules. Yep I was guilty of redlining every truck I've got my hands on. My average on an econoline with ladder on top was around 10 mpg. Unfortunately wee were appreciated on number of jobs done per day, not on FE of trucks.

Some ''trouble'' I've got with FE bonus is that not every trucks/cars got the same FE. Even the type of road ain't the same so it's a bit hard to compare everybody.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Underground Man

Lil Blue - '91 Geo Metro
^ Exactly. If my employer caught me hypermiling on a company truck during work hour, they would say "hurry the **** up we got work to do!" A few dollars in gas means nothing compared with the profit pulled in.

Reply  Post New Thread