Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I think my post got lost so ill say it again, your engine has a compression ratio of 10.8:1 and it NEEDS premium fuel.
...not, if it's a "multi-air" engine where they "play" with the valve-timing (via Variable-Valve Timing) to achieve a 'quasi' variable-compression-ratio effect.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
Slow steppin'

2013 Coachman 21QBC - '12 Chevy Express 4500 RV
I run a Cargo Van and buy lots of gas all the time. My truck too, is capable of running on high octane or 87, but not E85.

My experience with testing the performance of the van (60K miles a year) with different octanes has shown stark differences in mpg's when using the lower octanes.

Winds, traffic and other factors weigh heavily on performance. While in Chicago for instance, the faster moving traffic can make a difference of 2-3 mpg for that leg of a journey, plus the drive through the corridor like highways will knock out most of the winds except for the traffic wind. That being said...

Your new car is also breaking in, take note of the mileage markers as thing change. What mileage did the sudden 10mpg loss occur? Make a note of the mileage and anything that you may have added, or taken away to the car.

My van started out at about 15-17, then it dropped to 13, and slowly crept up to the current avg of 18-19. When I hyper mile, I can usually maintain 20+ in calm conditions, but as the weather has been of late, the 20-30 mph head winds have made that almost un-obtainable. When I have 2K of freight onboard, I can really take advantage of the down hills and even push the mpg's to 23 for a peroid of time, of which without the weight, the downhills aren't as productive, go figure!

The point is, every little thing that can help in one direction may hinder in the other, AND, a 1 time loss is nothing to get too worked up about. Continued losses however, are cause for investigation.

If you continue to have losses or poor mileage, I would look at all the things you changed, like the amount of stuff packed in the car, the octane of fuel you're using and so on. From your post it looks like you're going to go back to the higher octane gas, and if you regain the mileage, inquiry solved, if not, then with all the other things considered, it may be time to head back to the dealer and have them check all the sensors and ECM. If a sensor went goofy, the ECM may have gone into limp mode which runs the fuel mixture rich all the time.

Are the roads you travel in dis-repair, bumpy, potholes and so on?

Although when we buy a new car, one would expect things to work properly for at least a good and reasonable amount of time, we unfortunately must realize that in today's manufacturing environment, the assembly line and the quality of materials are not always perfect.

I look forward to hearing what the fix for this sudden loss in mpg's is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coroner For This Useful Post:
slowmover (04-09-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #43 (permalink)
High Mileage Lover

Sophia - '13 Fiat 500
Send a message via AIM to Atheria Send a message via Yahoo to Atheria
Back to premium

Well I'm not going to burn out my clutch by keeping it engaged. I'll just do what I've been doing and throw the Fiat into neural to coast. Thank you for the explanation.

Regarding premium gas, I will get premium at my next fill up. I'm curious what improvement occurs.

Thanks!
Atheria
Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...not, if it's a "multi-air" engine where they "play" with the valve-timing (via Variable-Valve Timing) to achieve a 'quasi' variable-compression-ratio effect.
Yes, which is why it still drives fine on 87, but obviously not as good as it could with 92.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #45 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheria View Post
Well I'm not going to burn out my clutch by keeping it engaged. I'll just do what I've been doing and throw the Fiat into neural to coast. Thank you for the explanation.

Regarding premium gas, I will get premium at my next fill up. I'm curious what improvement occurs.

Thanks!
Atheria
I was always told keeping the clutch completely to the floor would not wear it out at all, if that is what you mean be engaged. I am not an expert, just what I have been told.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
High Mileage Lover

Sophia - '13 Fiat 500
Clutch

I just assumed that pushing it nonst
op world be bad. I'll let a mechanic chime in. :-)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
holding the clutch pedal down(clutch fully disengaged) won't wear the clutch disk..... it will wear the throwout bearing though.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Fully released or fully engaged is fine. I never worn or lost a clutch in my life, easily managing over 120 k miles with a lot of traffic jams and city driving. Nor did I ever lose a throw-out bearing. It is the one thing that bearing was designed to do, it should be able to.

Letting it slip, half-engaging when that isn't necessary, that's bad. My dad burnt a Civic's clutch in just 50k miles. Turns out he was resting his foot on the clutch pedal when driving. Even just touching it gently was apparently enough to cause a bit of slip, and a lot of wear.

Reducing clutch slip and matching engine and gear revs before releasing the clutch pedal should guarantee a long cluch life.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-29-2013 at 03:39 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #49 (permalink)
High Mileage Lover

Sophia - '13 Fiat 500
That is good to know!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #50 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I was always told keeping the clutch completely to the floor would not wear it out at all, if that is what you mean be engaged. I am not an expert, just what I have been told.
...clutch plate or throw-out bearing, either way they're NOT exactly cheap to replace in FWD assemblies.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
fiat