Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #71 (permalink)
High Mileage Lover

Sophia - '13 Fiat 500
Send a message via AIM to Atheria Send a message via Yahoo to Atheria
Hmmm....

Well, for some reason this guy felt that it was different going from neutral into a gear. Hmmmm.....This gets more confusing the longer it goes on. I wish Fiat would hurry up and answer me.

I do need to clarify that I coast in neutral with the car's engine ON. RedDevil, your comments sound like you thought my engine was off.

On a totally different note, this won't help my mpg any, but how cute is this?! Moby1 C2 Teardrop Trailer — Moby1 Expedition Trailers LLC I want to get one for Sophia! :-)

I am loving how other Fiat drivers here in Albuquerque wave at you. It's like being in a club. I'm seeing more and more of them around town.

Atheria

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #72 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...sorry, but the pictured unit does not have a teardrop shape, apparently only in name.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #73 (permalink)
High Mileage Lover

Sophia - '13 Fiat 500
Stickler

But it's still cute!

I think I forgot to post that talking to a guy at ABQ Fiat yesterday, he said that using less that 91 octane will indeed affect mpg. He said you'd lose about 2 mpg.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheria View Post
... I do need to clarify that I coast in neutral with the car's engine ON. RedDevil, your comments sound like you thought my engine was off...
It was just to show that it can handle that easily. The strain on the clutch when bringing a stalled engine up to speed is bigger than when its idling, of course.
But underrevving on clutch engage is less of a problem than overrevving.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #75 (permalink)
Slow steppin'

2013 Coachman 21QBC - '12 Chevy Express 4500 RV
Take it to a calibrated scale

Quote:
GVWR = 3,300 lbs. Doesn't that mean the car weighs that much? That is on her door.

I guess I should buy one of those ScanGauge thingys. :-)

Fiats come with software you can download onto your computer. You then plug a flash drive into the USB port in your car and transfer your driving information to your computer. The software will critique your driving to tell you what you are doing wrong regarding mileage, etc. I need to try that.

Atheria
Hi Atheria,

For the weight of the vehicle it should be noted as GVW or Curb Weight. You then add the weight of all the stuff, including you to that weight to get the true weight of the cars load at this point. The GVWR is the rated weight that the car should not exceed in total weight. I doubt you have to worry about that. From Google I found the Fiat 500 Curb weight as 2363 Lbs.

The easiest way to get your GVW is to fill it full of fuel and all the stuff you carry, head to the nearest truck stop or business that has a calibrated scale and weigh it. The cost will be under 10 bucks, It's that simple. If you go over #2600 I'd be amazed.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #76 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
That was long ago. Fiats now are better. :-P
Yeah, all cars are better now, in most ways. But how much better any FIAT actually is, remains to be seen.

We all tend to defend and protect our choice of car after we have made the purchase, usually, no matter what it is.

It's still got the ugly body, and the clown car appeal. But that won't affect your MPG or your love for it. It will just give other drivers a reason to roll their eyes.

Since it's a manual transmission you can coast in neutral at any time as long as you clutch and re-engage the transmission at the appropriate gear for the speed you are traveling.

Good luck with it. And don't forget to call Tony. I'm sure you will need Tony, sooner or later...
Old 03-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #77 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Good luck with it. And don't forget to call Tony. I'm sure you will need Tony, sooner or later...
Courtesy Translation: he speaketh of the Tony in: Fix It Again Tony (FIAT)
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
UltArc (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #78 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I don't want to jab at your car, but the chrysler group is pretty good at doing the bare minimum to make a production vehicle. I always liked Dodges as a sprig, but listened to family members (in the automobile industry) complain about them. I loved the Viper, and the Durango (98-02), but as I started to really learn about cars, history, their marketing, their technology, and most of what they did in the US, it was rather disappointing. I am not quite sure how they even made it to bailout time.

I try to be courteous to chrysler owners, because if they are happy with the car, then my views & experience about the brand shouldn't matter. If someone is happy, then be happy! For some people (me) life is about maximizing efficiency, for others, they care about other things. If they are happy, then don't let my opinion rain on their parade.
-A friend of mine drove a mid 90s hyundai daily. He rented a car, got stock with one of the last sebrings. I drove new ones, and they were loud, transmissions were very jolty, and interior was terrible. He loved his! I nicely tried to tell him, a very impulsive person, DO NOT get involved with one without testing ANY other cars lol. We bantered for a few weeks, and then he visited a few other dealerships. And he saw my point.

It seems they are not as bad as say, five years ago, but they continue to under perform. I am hoping being under Alfa/Fiat/MAseratti- brands not exactly known for reliability...-they can improve.

I am a US citizen, but from my limited experience with international friends, friends who have been to Europe, and Top Gear & Fifth gear, one doesn't buy an Alfa, Fiat, or MAserati for reliability or efficiency. You buy it for every other reason

That's the passion part. Some people's passion for something they like exceeds efficiency. Some of us have a passion for efficiency

All in all, I am glad you like your vehicle, and I look forward to learning a first hand experience with the vehicle. I sooner trust someone on here than an average car magazine.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #79 (permalink)
High Mileage Lover

Sophia - '13 Fiat 500
All I know is....

The car is adorable, is getting mid 40s mpg right now, is solidly built (when you slam the door it's a solid THUNK), and it's getting really good reviews. I love it and I am not defending it because I bought it.

Atheria
UltArc (04-01-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #80 (permalink)
...beats walking...

FWIW, I took my wife by the local FIAT "salon" (not a saloon!) when they first opened and she fell in love with a little yellow covertible they had sitting on the lot, asking the unanswerable question: "...wouldn't I look cute in this?..." to which I cautiously mumbled "...yes, dear."

Last edited by gone-ot; 03-31-2013 at 09:57 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
XYZ (03-31-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
fiat