Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
How do I shift my automatic ( Civic ) ?

I have wondered about a paragraph in my owners manual for years now.

The 1993 Honda Civic manual states on page 87 :

" First - To shift from Second to First, press the release button on the side of the shift lever. With the lever in this position, the transmission locks in First gear. By upshifting through 1,2,D3 and D4, you can operate this transmission much like a manual transmission without a clutch pedal."

So this means that I can actually shift this thing like a manual while in motion ...er... right ?

I shift into neutral all the time and coast with the engine still running.
I'm just to chicken to try out the other gears.

Do you think that there wold be a benefit to manually shifting ?

...Or am I just not understanding something.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another civic - '06 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.81 mpg (US)
All I see from that is it will allow you to rev higher in lower gears and shift just like a manual. I don't see any benefit unless you're using the engine to brake.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Heck yeah there's an advantage. Shift earlier than the automatic would. Keep your RPM's down.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Rolling up through the shifter positions won't force the automatic to shift any sooner than it might in the regular D driving position. It only forces an upper limit to how high a gear the transmission will ultimately choose. It's great for when you're on bad surfaces like ice or you're training a new driver and don't want him to have the full range of gears while first starting out, but that's it.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
That's not exactly how it works. The gear selector just tells what is the highest gear the car will shift into. It will still down shift the same as before.

Imagine on my car for instance, it's 1, 2, D, and (D) (over drive, 4th gear). If I were to shift it from 1st to D (3rd on your car) while still accelerating hard, the car will still shift into 2nd, and then into 3rd, and then no higher. It's not like your forcing the trans to upshift on your own accord, it will still up shift as normal until it hits what ever gear you have selected, and then it sticks there.

The real use you would have it to hold the RPMs higher at part throttle then the auto would normally for some spirited/performance driving that has many up/down shifts and you want the engine to stay revved up, and also allow the car to engine brake when off the trottle (auto-X).

But for regular driving, and drag racing even, just keep it in D and let the auto do it's job. Their already programed to stay in the highest gear it can for economy.

Although if your really determined, you can convert an automatic to manual shift. Where the gear selector alone will change the gears, not the tranny itself. A lot of drag racing transmissions are set up like this. With this setup, you can even start off the line in a higher gear, not 1st like an auto does..

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues

Last edited by texanidiot25; 07-08-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Rolling up through the shifter positions won't force the automatic to shift any sooner than it might in the regular D driving position.
Not true. Gear "2" on the shifter will cause the transmission to stay in 2nd gear on a Honda no matter what. It's meant for icy conditions. It will cause the vehicle to start off in 2nd gear instead of 1st. Economical advantage? I doubt it.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Ah, shoot. My bad. I guess it's been awhile since I've had to drive an automatic....
I've even got the wife 'converted' to the manual mindset.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Ah, shoot. My bad. I guess it's been awhile since I've had to drive an automatic....
I've even got the wife 'converted' to the manual mindset.
She's a keeper if she can do stick.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Not true. Gear "2" on the shifter will cause the transmission to stay in 2nd gear on a Honda no matter what.
This is correct -- I have a similar transmission in the Acura.

"1" and "2" will start and/or hold those gears when selected, and disables the torque converter.

"D3" chooses the proper gear: 1, 2, or 3 (and often disengages the "Hill Logic Control" that keeps the transmission from shifting back and forth up hills, or for engine braking down steep grades). Torque converter action is engaged.

"D4" common automatic stuff.

I'll start off in 1st and shift into "2" when I think it's appropriate (which is often earlier than the computer decides). This creates a higher load, lower RPM situation. After that, I'm at the mercy of the TCU to sort things out in D3 and D4.

I'll also do the same with the TSX and its manu-matic shift gate. You can force a higher gear, earlier -- depending on speed and load. It helps especially when cruising in 5th gear: it won't downshift to 4th unexpectedly unless you slow to the computer's setpoint. Again, lower RPM and higher load.

I think it does something for FE -- but I can't quantify it. I've been meaning to test it out, but ya know how it goes...

RH77

_
_
Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
She's a keeper if she can do stick.
You betcha.