Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

One problem I've always had with hypermiling is that #1 and #5 are almost mutually exclusive. While you are creeping toward the light at 5-10mph, everyone behind you waiting to go right (or left) is trapped until you pass the beginning of the turn lane.... something you aren't likely to do until the main signal has already become green again. I know I've been caught behind cars creeping toward a light before and missed the left turn signal because they are moving too slow/too far back

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProDarwin For This Useful Post:
101Volts (10-07-2013), redpoint5 (10-07-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
One problem I've always had with hypermiling is that #1 and #5 are almost mutually exclusive. While you are creeping toward the light at 5-10mph, everyone behind you waiting to go right (or left) is trapped until you pass the beginning of the turn lane.... something you aren't likely to do until the main signal has already become green again. I know I've been caught behind cars creeping toward a light before and missed the left turn signal because they are moving too slow/too far back
I re-read #1 & #5 but I didn't see anything suggesting "creeping toward the light at 5-10mph."

I'm all for hypermiling and slowing down according to your own preferences as long as you are not delaying anyone behind you.

It comes down to common courtesy. We should drive as slowly as we wish, but not force others behind us to do what we want to do, leaving them no other choice but to be at a disadvantage, such as being stuck at a red light.

I can remember a bumper sticker from decades ago during the gas crisis that said "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you". In essence, if you are slowing down and holding up traffic only to benefit yourself or to dominate others on the road - that's just being a PIG.

Nobody likes a road hog - no matter how enlightened they think their driving style may be.

Last edited by XYZ; 10-06-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Twice today I moved to the left lane and let the car behind me pass me on the right. There was no other traffic close and the car behind me was closing to the point where I consider it tailgating so I moved over and they went by me slowly. There is an entrance ramp just ahead of where this happened and it avoids them blasting around me to beat me to the entrance, which I was not taking anyway.
I stay in the left lane on the bike to avoid being merged into by traffic, either at a right turn yield or from a stop sign or light. I will move to the right if someone is climbing up my 6, but in most cases I go fast enough to avoid that.

regards
Mech
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Neat topic.

I also try to move into the left/center lane when I'm caught at a fresh red light to permit right-turning drivers to do their thing.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread