Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIVJackal View Post
Does anyone have some verifiable tests they can share aside from opinion? Might have to make an account over at B.O.G. if I can't get some more credible answers... arg!
There are a variety of circumstances where MMO will make the apparent compression values improve.

Trouble is you want a liquid to fix a mechanical problem, at the very best it just covers up the problem, which MMO is very good at doing, if you have no plans of fixing the motor and just want it to run until you trash it MMO is for you, if rebuild is an option that really is the only way of actually fixing anything.

Sorry, you can ask a 100 times and get the same answer.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
What you said:

Quote:
I have a feeling my compression may be a little low on my car
What I read it as:

Quote:
I sense a disturbance in the force via my quadricycle
What you said:

Quote:
Does anyone have some verifiable tests they can share aside from opinion? Might have to make an account over at B.O.G. if I can't get some more credible answers... arg!
What I read it as:

Quote:
Are there any other Jedis trained in controlling the force within? Might have to go to the dark side if I can't get some proper Jedi training... arg!
The Following User Says Thank You to HilseeJ For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-13-2017)
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Buddy - '94 Acura Integra GSR
90 day: 29.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
Credible answers come from compitent questions, and compitent effort...
Competent*

Sheesh, didn't realize that I would get such backlash from "educated" members here on Ecomodder. I believe I checked the compression years ago and the numbers were a little lower than normal, I get slightly lower MPG than fellow owners of the same vehicle (avg 28-30mpg mixed), I burn a little oil maybe as much as 0.5qt every 5,000 miles.
Original question wasn't intended to be just for my particular vehicle, more of an across the board fix and seeing as I've heard of people using water and other liquids to remove carbon, thought I would ask here. Didn't post it on the other forum I'm a part of because maturity levels seem to be a lot lower there but I'm not sure this place is any better unfortunately If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all...
Again, some say it works and others say it doesn't meaning that there is some disagreement and one must make their own "opinion". All I'm asking is if someone knows for sure if it does or does not work and what the best method is for cleaning carbon out.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
I've heard the water treatment as shown in the video on a previous page can help clean off carbon, but I don't know of anything that will PERMANENTLY improve your compression short of actual mechanical work on the engine.

One trick I used once when attempting to *slightly* improve compression was to install a thinner head gasket. We were unable to do before & after tests, since we changed heads too, though.

One of my cars had no compression at all in 2 cylinders, so the head is in the machine shop for a valve job at the moment. I wouldn't have done that if the compression was only slightly low, though - until it was time to do the whole engine (when it got worse).
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Competent*

Sheesh, didn't realize that I would get such backlash from "educated" members here on Ecomodder.

*snip*

Didn't post it on the other forum I'm a part of because maturity levels seem to be a lot lower there but I'm not sure this place is any better unfortunately If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all...
Again, some say it works and others say it doesn't meaning that there is some disagreement and one must make their own "opinion". All I'm asking is if someone knows for sure if it does or does not work and what the best method is for cleaning carbon out.
I don't have to remind you that you are using the internet...right?

I have my opinion and they have theirs. Like I said my opinion was given to try to save you time and money. It really depends on the problem with your engine whether or not an engine cleaner would work. If for instance carbon build up is preventing your valves from sealing then yes a treatment could help you. However if the valves are too tight or the piston rings are worn out it isn't going to help.

There is some risk when using an engine cleaner. If you have a lot of carbon some larger pieces could break off and cause issues with the catalytic converter. The manufacturer of seafoam does warn not to use on high mileage vehicles.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Project Avalon: E bike build
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Quote:
Competent*

Sheesh, didn't realize that I would get such backlash from "educated" members here on Ecomodder.
Okay, now you're just whining. Sheesh is right.

And no one here claimed to be educated. And you put it in quotes to be an ass.

Quote:
Didn't post it on the other forum I'm a part of because maturity levels seem to be a lot lower there but I'm not sure this place is any better unfortunately
I literally laughed out loud at that.

Quote:
If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all...
It appears that you, yourself, do not subscribe to that philosophy. Why should we?

Quote:
Again, some say it works and others say it doesn't meaning that there is some disagreement and one must make their own "opinion".
Now we're getting somewhere! Yes, "one must make their own opinion." Read the reviews on the products we have suggested, read what we said about these products, and then make your own opinion.

Quote:
All I'm asking is if someone knows for sure if it does or does not work and what the best method is for cleaning carbon out.
And we've answered that question. I've posted reviews on Seafoam earlier in this thread. Most are good, but that bad reviews are the ones that scare me. Hence my apprehension about using it.

There is no absolute truth. If you're going to use a product to clean carbon, I (along with other members) have recommended Seafoam and other various products.

P. S. This is the internet, but the same applies to real life. If you got 10 mechanics to look at your car (which I would actually recommend at this point, although the #10 might be a little high), you would probably get 10 different answers, and 10 different prices. (But don't let them charge you just for looking at it)

Honestly though, I think you just have an older car. These things happen to older cars just like they happen to older people - stuff just doesn't run as smooth as it used to.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

clank - '99 jeep tj sport
90 day: 17.32 mpg (US)
so the question begs to be ask of those bad reviews of seafoam; did they use the 1/3 of a can(ie. directions) vs. the whole thing

to the original poster; are the cams timed properly?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
compression, compression test, low, low compression, pressure