Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoTex View Post
Seems like a neat setup.
It's also self-machining! After a while, you'll wear the bits that the blocks rub against, depositing the trash in your oil. And when you wear through the hardened layer, it all accelerates...

(Can you tell I'm not a fan?)

-soD

The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
maczo (06-12-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
The lsd block is the weakest link that's what will wear. It's all aluminum. It will fail to stock operation. People like me don't spend too much time without checking all our fluids anyway. It's only $20 for 2 quarts of synchromesh, and I Drive 100 miles a day, mostly highway. All my fluids are at least checked weekly.

Thanks for your concern, and that could be a deal breaker for people who don't do maintenance. I'm changing oil and tranny fluid monthly.

I haven't noticed anything funny in my tranny fluid or operation, but you did spark a little interest on the subject. I just might crack the lx open and peek at the pinion and lsd.

(BIG BELLY LAUGH) the Internet said the lsd is warranted for life! That wouldn't help me if it's killing my tranny. I guess that's one more thing to remember this weekend

Last edited by vrmouseyd15b; 06-10-2014 at 11:31 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
So its like a powertrax for Honda? I thought I heard a rumor that all Honda trans are LSD from the factory once...guess that was wrong. Kinda nice but even at a $115 its a waste of money unless you are doing any racing with your economy trans. LSD will actually get you in more trouble in bad weather due to the both wheels slipping and leading you into a ditch. With an open diff, the car is basically a tripod so you have 3 anchor wheels and 1 driven so when the 1 starts to slip, the other 3 keep you in control.

The comment about the spare tire is moot because a spare tire should never be used to replace a driven wheel. If the front blows out, move the rear forward and put the spare on the back (for a front wheel drive car obviously). I assume Subaru makes their spares to tolerate being a driven wheel but most spares are not recommended for use on driven axles. I also realize that almost everyone ignores this little safety tid-bit but I felt it should be restated anyway.

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

I gotta tell you that as far as the lsd pushing you into a ditch comment, I've had the lsd pull me back to straight after the wind got me on the highway once, not the other way around.

Don't know what you're driving, but I'm in love with it in my Honda.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Really interesting, though it does seem like a big cost for a clear performance benefit with big downside wear and damage possibilities down the road. Thanks for posting though. Was useful to see its function explained with an actual differential. Enjoy the mod, but watch that tranny oil for bit of aluminum!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Nice tutorial , My VW pulls straight it must have a tight limited slip.
The Germans are astute engineers.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #27 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

thanks to all of you for your comments. I guess my next question would be what if I were to take these gears that I ground to a machinist and have them make it as flat and true as can be?

I do appreciate all of your interest, and in hopes of running this transmission for a real long time, maybe someone has read or knows how much less wear I could expect with the gears having been properly machined?

I really do appreciate having all these extra brains and points of view toward solutions to my "problem"

like I mentioned earlier, I am already in love with the LSD in my tranny. I won't go without, but knowing that it's done as well as it can be makes me feel better about the whole idea. Thanks again, Victor.

edit:
the more I think about it, the only time I should expect any kind of wear on the lsd block would be when it's actually "slipping" and the top and bottom gears inside the pinion are moving independently of each other. That means it's probably going to wear a lot less than we all may think.
At that point, I'm going to hold off on the machinist until I see the lsd from my current lx tranny. That will tell the whole story about the last almost 10k miles it's run so far, and whether or not I should be worried.

Last edited by vrmouseyd15b; 06-11-2014 at 08:54 AM..
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Run it for a good long time, then drain and finely strain the oil looking for any evidence of aluminum bits? If none... enjoy until something happens one day. None of these machines last forever, so we might as well enjoy 'em. I f this is a big thrill for you and it's done... what the hell! Enjoy.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Cobb (06-11-2014), ecoTex (06-11-2014), vrmouseyd15b (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

green VX - '95 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 59.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post

The comment about the spare tire is moot because a spare tire should never be used to replace a driven wheel....but most spares are not recommended for use on driven axles. I also realize that almost everyone ignores this little safety tid-bit but I felt it should be restated anyway.
So it was MOOT when I said it, but valid when you "restated it?"
I would bet, even among enthusiasts such as Ecomodder members, that the people who are aware of this are in the minority. I am just trying to help people avoid tearing up their trannys.

My adjustable WAI / HAI build thread

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post408134
Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I will suggest you use a fine rat tail file and file the ground surface until its completely square and flat.

I used a hand file and square to go over my grinder cut bushings when i had to cut some bushings down for a lift kit Control arm install that did on my old 4x4. I got them square by filing them by hand in a vice.

Reply  Post New Thread