Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModder Newb

Blue Car - '05 Honda Civic Hybrid
How to put 14.6 gal in a 13.2 gal tank!

I went by my friendly Citgo station last night for my first fill up since joining this sight. I'm really trying hard to focus and really pay attention to how I'm driving. Well I was filling up and talking to my wife and really not paying attention until my Honda Civic Hybrid held 14.6 gallons of gas. I told my wife to get the owners manual out of the glove box and see how big the tank was. The manual says 13.2 gallons. I promptly go inside and ask the friendly guy behind the counter (his eyes looked like he was drunk/high) how do you think I could put 14.6 gallons in a 13.2 gallon tank. He said I would need to talk to "management". I said well give me a number and a name. I called her just a little bit ago and she said she would have someone come out and look at the tank. In the mean time she would bag the pump to keep people from using it. We're going right by that station in just a few minutes and I'm gonna see if they bagged it or not. I say all this to tell all of you if you don't already to pay attention at the pump. It's bad enough with prices as high as they are without being ripped off by greedy people like this. I don't know if they did it on purpose or not. It may just be a simple mistake. I asked the manager lady about getting my money back and she said "if somehing is wrong we will reimburse you". I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks for letting me vent.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Haha, you do know that you can fit like 2 gallons into the fill neck of the tank, right? I've always been able to squeeze more in than the manual says...probably not pump error, just the oddities of cars most of us don't know about.

You can prolly call honda to double check, but I'm fairly sure this is the most likely cause of the "overfill"
Old 05-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModder Newb

Well here's a little more info for you guys. I had like 3 or 4 clicks left on my fuel gauge. I'm guessing that equates to 2 or so gallons. I've run my car almost to E several times and never put more than 12 gallons in it. I know my car won't hold 14.6 gallons of gas no matter how far up the neck I go. I cram it to the top every time and it's never gone over 12 gallons.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28WTW View Post
Well here's a little more info for you guys. I had like 3 or 4 clicks left on my fuel gauge. I'm guessing that equates to 2 or so gallons. I've run my car almost to E several times and never put more than 12 gallons in it. I know my car won't hold 14.6 gallons of gas no matter how far up the neck I go. I cram it to the top every time and it's never gone over 12 gallons.
WOW that does sound way off. You ought to contact the Office of Weights and Measure there is SC. and report it. I think there is also a number on the pump to report rip offs.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Yeah in Florida its Charles Bronson ... I always think its the actor when I see that ...LOL

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 05-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
I'm sure you were ripped off. It would have to be one hell of a fill neck to hold that much fuel. Also, unless you towed your car to the gas station, it probably wasn't bone dry to begin with. You should have called the W&M office first. They get big fines for doing that!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Curious what ever happen when you went back Z28WTW?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Similar discussion over on TDI club

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...212727=newpost

I've definitely seen pumps be off before . ..
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Blue - '77 Chevy P/U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
WOW that does sound way off. You ought to contact the Office of Weights and Measure there is SC. and report it. I think there is also a number on the pump to report rip offs.
first thought
Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModder Newb

Well I drove back by there today on my way to play a little golf and guess what....no bag on pump. So I called my friendly staff at the Citgo and said there still isn't a bag on the pump. The lady told me she was waiting to see if anyone else came in and said anything about it. Sounds to me like she was just trying to rip a few more people off and see what happened. We came back by just a bit ago on our way home and guess what one bag on the 87 octane and no bag on any of the others. I will be in contact with someone about this issue whether I get my money back or not. On a better note I'm doing really well on this tank. I've put 60 miles on it since the fill up and I'm getting 53 MPG.

Reply  Post New Thread