Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You'll want to navigate to the other Figure and do the drafting. Once you've created the image, you can do the overlay, and compare.
No, what I want to see, and if you are right there should be chapter and verse on it, is a section in any aerodynamics textbook that applies a template as has been so often been encouraged here. Viz:

- Show where there is separated and attached flow on existing cars
- Guide the shape of rear extensions
- Show how rear spoilers on sedans should be positioned and shaped
- Allow the assessment of the ‘aerodynamic purity’ of cars

There is no such coverage in any textbook, as you have made clear with the diagrams you are referencing that have zero to do with a template.

It's all just your rather odd theory. As I have said before, it's just a crying shame that so many people were sucked into it for so long.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
what I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Nether of your cited diagrams have anything to do with template. Neither mentions a template, shows a template or makes any claim that a predetermined shape is applicable in any way.

So I'll say again:

What I want to see is a section in any aerodynamics textbook that applies a template as has been so often been encouraged here. Viz:

- Show where there is separated and attached flow on existing cars
- Guide the shape of rear extensions
- Show how rear spoilers on sedans should be positioned and shaped
- Allow the assessment of the ‘aerodynamic purity’ of cars

As we both know, no such textbook or paper exists - and for good reason.

This is exactly the same logic as saying '225 section tyres are best' and then citing every car that uses that tyre as if it is sound evidence for the proposition that 225 section tyres are best.

What about them? None were developed using a template, or even a predetermined shape of any type. As for this list being evidence of anything, see my comment above about tyres.

Hmm, so overlaying a template over cars and saying 'it would be so much better if only it matched the template' is as nonsensical as it sounds?

Yes, and just as with the tyres, I've found that 225-section tyres give excellent results on many cars - something which proves absolutely nothing about 225 tyres.

Unfortunately the application of the template is just your weird theory - and I say 'unfortunately' because if it were as easy as that, gee, that would be good.

To others reading this, I'll say again. Don't believe me - just look in any car aero textbook and find those major sections extolling the value of a template. There aren't any.
1) I've given you a textbook on aerodynamics with the 'template' strenuously presented. You'll have to connect the dots which are screaming off the pages. You simply need to do the work which will then give the visual reference. Your tire analogy is asinine.
2) I've provided all the information necessary.
3) I've provided a list. Obtain the technical images as I have, and do the overlay comparisons.
4) I've addressed this adequately. I've provided the necessary materials. I can't understand them for you. It's not my problem. EcoModder.com members don't require your imprimatur to set land speed records, fuel economy records, or distance records. We don't need the imprimatur of any of your select panel of experts either.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I'm going to insulate my attic, I'll be using the Owens-Corning/ USDOE R-Factor 'template' for my region of the country.
I'm not going to have a contractor come out 4- different times, adding 3-1/2-inches of fiberglass at a time, 'testing' and 'measuring' in between trips until I get the recommended 14-inches, recommended from the 'template.' Wasting the contractor three trips, and wrecking my finances in the process.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
1) I've given you a textbook on aerodynamics with the 'template' strenuously presented. You'll have to connect the dots which are screaming off the pages. You simply need to do the work which will then give the visual reference. Your tire analogy is asinine.
2) I've provided all the information necessary.
3) I've provided a list. Obtain the technical images as I have, and do the overlay comparisons.
4) I've addressed this adequately. I've provided the necessary materials. I can't understand them for you. It's not my problem. EcoModder.com members don't require your imprimatur to set land speed records, fuel economy records, or distance records. We don't need the imprimatur of any of your select panel of experts either.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's just amazing how you're the only person in the world who has joined the dots. Not even the author of the book you cite was able to do that, eh?

So, take your pick. Aerohead has seen something that the world's best aerodynamicists haven't - or Aerohead is quite wrong.

I am always very happy to be guided by the world's best aerodynamicists.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
That's one weird looking Golf. More like a SAAB 99.

While you two were engaged in friendly banter, I learned that Elon Musk was the first person to crash an Arcimoto FUV (last October). No wonder he doesn't like 3-wheelers.

Maybe it was the one I saw in their service facility (right 40% offset frontal).

Old 01-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Long time lurker

Quote:
If I'm going to insulate my attic, I'll be using the Owens-Corning/ USDOE R-Factor 'template' for my region of the country.
I'm not going to have a contractor come out 4- different times, adding 3-1/2-inches of fiberglass at a time, 'testing' and 'measuring' in between trips until I get the recommended 14-inches, recommended from the 'template.' Wasting the contractor three trips, and wrecking my finances in the process.

You'll want to navigate to the other Figure and do the drafting. Once you've created the image, you can do the overlay, and compare.
But they won't claim that adding something to the roof will change the thermal insulation 37%, when really they get that number by doing far more things than just the roof.

Do the overlay? Is there a template(s) for the front now? Because that is where the golf got most of its drag reduction from.

Reply  Post New Thread