Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Beater - '99 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 39.89 mpg (US)
The cali version hx would likely not have lean burn due to the higher nox emissions. If it IS a cali spec, then it wouldn't have the wideband oxygen sensor to support the lean burn, so you would need a cali spec ecu, and the mpg is gonna be worse than a federal spec hx. Check the primary o2 sensor, the one closest to the engine, if its 5 wires, its the wideband o2 sensor and needs the federal spec ecu. If its 4 wires, its a run of the mil sensor and is a cali spec car. BTW theres no way in HELL i would spend 600 on a honda ecu.. hell for that you could convert it to obd1 and run an older style ecu that can be tuned. but thats for another discussion all together. Hopefully thats helpful.
Ben

The Following User Says Thank You to frank316 For This Useful Post:
2000_HX_Civic (03-17-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Inanimate car - '00 Honda Civic Hx
90 day: 38.18 mpg (US)
I am back in the swing of things at school, I 've been really busy.

I will be sure to completely confirm that the Hx is or is not a "Californian" model.

The question remains though, what makes it a Californian model? besides emissions obviously.

Meaning what specific parts make it that? And can it easily be altered to a Federal model with ease if the ECU is from a federal civic (or is that all it takes)?

I comprehend that other civic ECU's can be put into my car. I've seen videos of Civics on youtube with assorted ECU's.

Lastly, if there is no benefit of having the specific Cali ECU I'm going to go with the federal version.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

To my knowledge the O2 sensor plugs in at the exhaust manifold correct?

If I'm correct the car's O2 sensor has 5 wires meaning Federal

BUT, the sticker under the hood clearly indicates that the car is regulated to pass the California state emission test. meaning it should only have 4.

My guess is that, at one point the O2 sensor went bad and out of laziness was replaced with a Federal version.

Sooo, meaning that I am sort on route to connect the Federal ECU and get my dang Hx to get in the 40's mpg wise.

I saw Brucepicks MPG stats and wow am I missing out.

I am going to contact Honda and get the Federal ECU installed once school is done this year or once I accumulate enough funds and head home for a weekend.

I am going to keep this post alive for other Hx users, there may be some useful info down the road.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Thanks for the good word. But if you look back a couple months (when I was getting CELs daily) you'll see some pretty poor mpg, relatively.

Anywhooo, about Federal/CA.
The sticker says CA so that's pretty definitive but not FINAL. Get the engine # (I think there's a label on the timing belt cover??) or it has to be stamped on it somewhere, and see if a dealer will confirm that was a CA engine, and was it HX?. Always possible that the engine was swapped, or even whatever part the Emissions label is on. Make them look up CA/Fed, and if HX, from your VIN also. I think maybe you already did some of that.

I can't see someone putting in a wideband oxy sensor out of "laziness" because the ones for the HX cost far more than the regular type. Until a couple years ago, about $400. They've come down now, I think maybe $150-175 on the web, but still much more than the regular type.

I think you also should get your computer number - check that out and see if it's CA or Fed, and HX or not. Just because any part could have been changed before you got it.

One thing my HX has is the Hitachi version of the distributor. I'm told the HX's got that one, and all or nearly all the other Civics got the "other" version which I think was named TEC. The easily visible feature is the forward face of the dizzy cap. On the regular dizzy, the cap has a single flat face from top to bottom. The rest of the cap is basically a semicircle, so the whole thing looks like a backwards capital "D". On the Hitachi, the top and bottom corners are angled - so if the back face was the same as the front, it would be hexagonal if you looked at it endwise - from the viewpoint of the air filter housing. Did I confuse you yet?? Hope not.

And, continued good luck with it!!!

Last edited by brucepick; 03-18-2011 at 07:55 PM..
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I took a photo of the Distributor cap, I believe this is the one the Hx is suppose to have.

I work 25 hrs a week on fri, sat, sun. plus school, needless to say I don't do much besides work and study.

I'll be sure to figure out where exactly below the passenger seat the ECU is and I'll post the part number that it has printed on it.

thank you for your effort

Just for the record in short, I want better MPG to reduce my oil consumption and to kinda stick it to the "man". I'd drive a Nissan Leaf if I had the 35K.

I am about MPG not MPH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232323232%7Ffp ;7)nu=8498)386)258)WSNRCG=3449 659;6335nu0mrj.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	7986  
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I negated to mention, that the O2 sensor below the first (most visible) one has only 4 wires. so I don't know what the deal is.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just want to say 3 weeks later, I go from an 36 to 42 mpg.

Despite not having a functional Vtec-e.

Warmer weather, is the only thing I can come up with as an explanation.

Anyone have any ideas?

Either way atm i'm happy, I still desire better mpg, but 42 is more less something i'm proud of.

BTW I really never drive on the highway and I didn't at all for this current tank.

Reply  Post New Thread