Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Inanimate car - '00 Honda Civic Hx
90 day: 38.18 mpg (US)
Hx getting 32 Mpg =\

I recently bought my first car . 2000 Honda Civic Hx, I knew exactly what the car represents, I bought it for that reason.

I saved some money, took my time, and STRUCK when I found one in good condition.

It has 107k, a standard transmission, and is Milano red. I'll post pics if need be.

NO check engine light is on, changed the oil and air filter practically the moment I bought the car and I've upped the tire pressure to 40 psi. *put in an aftermarket radio ( the antenna is less than desirable HD stations barely keep a signal) and two brand new head lights (HUGE difference at night)*

Two things seem odd though......
1) It has a rev limiter at 4k in every gear (not a bog issue, at 4k but a limiter one)
2) I can only muster 32 mpg, with very light driving. (no rpms over 2500)

I've read every post related to the Hx, and my guess is the timing belt may need to be replaced (I do understand that is a ticking time bomb for my motor if left alone, it won't be) and maybe improper or old spark plugs are keeping me in the low 30's mpg wise.

I have to say I am a bit let down in myself and the car...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Turd - '01 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 33.16 mpg (US)

The Brick - '06 Dodge Durango SXT
90 day: 15.35 mpg (US)

The Money Maker - '07 Volvo VNL 780
90 day: 6.22 mpg (US)

The New Money Maker - '07 Volvo VNL780
90 day: 6.84 mpg (US)

Vdub - '12 Volkswagen Passat SE tdi
90 day: 37.78 mpg (US)
I used to be a service adviser at a Honda dealership. Change the belt immediately if it hasn't been done yet. I can't tell you critical that is. It is suppose to done at 90,000 miles. I don't know about the 4k red line. I don't any recall issues we had with that but my experience was with the older body style (been a few years since i worked there). I would go by the dealership and see if there are any recalls or service updates or technical bulletins that need to be addressed.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtstanger01 For This Useful Post:
2000_HX_Civic (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I would get your timing checked as the 4,000 RPM issue is a problem with how it's running, not something designed in to the car, your engine should be limited to 6,500rpm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
2000_HX_Civic (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think it is possibly relevant info that the car is originally from California, it spent 9 years of it's life there.

I knew the limiter was odd off the bat, but the old lady I bought it from was the only owner, she described the limiter as a "safety" feature installed to prevent any chance of engine damage.

In my defense, I did a bit of research about the limit and didn't come up with anything substantial. The car starts and runs smooth, I talked her down $600 from the original asking price, I told her the rev limit was in fact a mechanical error and costly to fix. That was 3 weeks ago.

I just called Honda, and I have an appointment later today to get the car looked.

I'm on spring break and have no work till Friday.

You were kind enough to read and reply to my post, I won't be ignorant and ignore your thoughts.

I'll be sure to post the diagnoses per say, asap.

Thank you ~ Matt
Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Get the other fluids changed, too. Brake fluid attracts moisture even in California and forms nasty compounds that can damage things.

Be careful about overinflating tires, especially if they are more than four or five years old.

As said above...change the belt on the car!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Has the timing belt been changed already? at least with the civic VX (1992-1995) had a confusing set of marks so it was easy to screw up when changing the timing belt and was most noticeable when at high revs, I think your car still has a distributor cap, it would be worth checking it for wear along with your plugs and plug wires, basically you should do a tune up and check the stuff that wears out, if you do the work your self you might spend $100-$150 on plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, air filter, brake fluid and transmission fluid and all of those things that people tend to forget to take care of, I suspect that if you take care of that stuff you will find the problem that is killing your mileage and you will earn that money back in fuel savings.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just dropped the car off.

The service adviser and I took the car for a drive.

He pulled out of the dealership shifted 1st at 3k and then floored it.

For the first time EVER (under my ownership) the car drove beyond 4000 rpm, I was frozen, shocked, pissed, confused and, angry he got to do something in my car I have never done.

To be honest I've never WOT the car, I mean it's a 116 hp civic where's it gonna go.

I asked him to try once more with less throttle and this time and every time after that the car as always pegged at 4000 rpm. even at WOT.

The service adviser kinda of agreed with the lady I bought the car from that it may or is in fact a safety feature to prevent engine damage... "Alot of new cars force you to go into second after a certain rpm".

I'm not really buyin it. I'll attempt to make contact with other Hx owners and see if they have a "safety" rev limit.

I AM getting the timing belt replaced with the water pump and all other belts.

Unfortunately, that honestly taps me out of funds. =\

I will be sure to do a full tune up with my next pay check and buy the specific appropriate spark plugs and gap them correctly.

~Matt
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sounds kind of like a "limp home" mode to me. Does the CEL ever come on, e.g., when you start the car? If not, the light could be bad and you could be throwing a code without knowing it.

-soD
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

And the winner is Sod.

Honda just called, in truth the check engine light never illuminates when I start the car, it burnt out......... Or was removed. I never thought of that, just so excited to have my own car.

They said the Vtec-e solenoid is fine...... That's cheap anyway.

The wiring is great...... Fantastic!

The engine is strong...... I'll take it.

but the cpu is i don't know, fried, broke how ever you put it.

The Vtec-e isn't getting enough energy from the cpu. It is only reading 4 ohms, it needs 12. So the car goes into "Limp" mode.

They quoted me for $1200, and the part would have to be ordered.

I'm such a fool...

I've been looking on MagAuto's website trying to find the part, but my understanding is to general to find the part.

The cars Vtec-e doesn't engage so my 32 mpg I imagine is pretty good considering the situation.......

I don't know if it's even worth replacing. Seriously.

I told Honda to go ahead with the timing belt and water pump, as well as an allignment and the replacement of all the belts.

And the tires are no more than a year old Pendragon.. ty though.

I really don't drink, but tonight I think I'm going to.,
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Your best (cheap) bet would be finding a new computer in a junkyard. If you order one online, you may end up with one from a trim other than the HX. You might even have to get a computer from a CA HX, I'm not sure what the differences between them and other HX's are.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Reply  Post New Thread