Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Hybrids for emergency power

Originally posted at "Prius_Technical_Stuff," it applies to any hybrid:

We had over 226 tornadoes in Dixie and many of them sliced up the TVA transmission lines in Alabama:

Alabama tornado outbreak visuals: jaw-dropping radar and satellite imagery - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post

http://crisislanding.appspot.com/?cr...rnadoes_4_2011

The Tennessee River flows east to west and on its banks are the TVA power plants and hydro dams. The big cities are Huntsville, Decatur, Guntersville, Florence, and Scottsboro but the tornadoes sliced up the high voltage power lines plunging the cities, half a million people, into darkness. I live in Huntsville Alabama and here is my report.

At ~5:20 PM, Wednesday afternoon, all power was lost in my building. Under the emergency lights, I left and noticed 'no one else is here.' Regardless, I got in my 2003 Prius and drove home taking a route that avoided main routes. Every light was out so when I got home, backed my 2003 Prius into the carport and ran the contractor cord into the house:

Prius - UPS Project

Data Log:

Wed, Apr 27, 2011, 5:49 PM

Prius started with parking brake set to suppress daylight running lights. Indicated mileage:

50.3 MPG, 10.2 miles: 0.203 gallons (indicated)
0.1915 (tire size adjusted)

Thu, Apr 28, 2011, 2:30 AM

Shutdown for night after running the gas furnace to warm-up the house.

Thu, Apr 28, 2011, 7:21 AM

Restarted 03 Prius.

Fri, Apr 29, 2011

Offered and ran another extension cable to neighbor so they would have lights and TV. They offered a one gallon of gas. Coordinated pulling their plug at 10:30 PM so we could run the gas heater to warm up the house.

Sat, Apr 30, 2011

Neighbor appreciated power, having a few lights and a 7" TV, they were able to plan a trip to Kentucky.

We have a '93, Coachman RV with a full, 80 gallon tank. However, I could not noddle a hose through the filler pipe to the tank and I started thinking about how to tap it. There are two, 20 year old, flexible couplings (I doubt they are flexible now!). I went back into the house to look for a power drill and screwdriver bit and heard that Decatur had power and was pumping gas.

Found another spare gallon in car port and then drove to Decatur in wife's 2010 Prius to fill up her car and a five gallon can for the 03 Prius. Ran the house furnace that night to fight off the chill for the wife.

Sun, May 1, 2011

Drove to Decatur for another five gallons as the news reports were that we might not see power until Tuesday.

Sun, May 1, 2011, 11:34 PM - power restored

1.3 MPG, 10.2 miles: 7.847 gallons (indicated)
1.2 MPG, 10.2 miles: 8.500 gallons (indicated if closer to 1.2 MPG)

There is no need to adjust for tire size as it never moved. So the total:

112 hours, 4 days and 6 hours
7.655 - 8.308 gallons burned

~2 gallons per day, 0.07-0.075 gallons per hour

LESSONS LEARNED

I. gas generators

There were radio news reports of generators for sale, often by I-65 exits or hardware stores in the early powered areas over in Decatur. This was followed by public health and safety warnings:

1) carbon monoxide poisonings - several seen at the local hospital. The hybrid catalytic converter all but eliminates the carbon monoxide risk.
2) refueling fire risks - the small tank requires frequent attention and there were several burn cases. Gasoline spill fires are a real risk.
3) noise - you hear the other generators across the street and 3-4 houses down. But our hybrid mufflers make them all but undetectable beyond the property line.

II. testing of all loads

We bought a 42" plasma TV in September but I didn't test it. During the outage, it started running for 1-4 hours and then it would shut itself off. I suspect a 'self-healing fuse' combined with higher than expected current from the relatively lower voltage, modified sine-wave inverter. Regardless, it is under warranty and I'll take it to the shop on Tuesday.

Saturday I bought a 7" inch, portable TV from Radio Shack but my wife could not make out the audio. Also, it really is a personal TV, not an easily viewable unit. I returned in on Sunday only to pay a 15% restocking fee for a $130 part.

On Monday I bought a 27", Samsung, LCD TV to replace the old analog, bedroom unit. We're watching it tonight and once the plasma screen is back, I'll run an endurance test on the inverter while it is in the 30 day, return period.

III. hot water

I'm looking for a 'cheap', gas water heater to put in the car port near where the car is parked. I'll get a flexible, exhaust hose, like the ones used in garages and wrap it in insulation. On the next power outage (we are averaging one use per year,) I'll route the exhaust gas through the heater and use an outside faucet for cold water and an insulated water hose into the kitchen.

IV. fix the roof before the storm

The time to setup an emergency power system is when it is nice outside. Trying to jury rig something during the emergency is expensive, dangerous, and likely to not work.

The Coachman will have an easy and safe to operate fuel tank tap. It will use a brushless, fuel pump, separate from the vehicle fuel system. I know it is tempting to put in a valve but I don't want to drive down the road and discover a leaking valve. It will be a 'sparkless' pump setup with a return-to-off, key switch.

Comments? Suggestions?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 05-03-2011 at 06:30 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
That's handy. I'm not running out to buy a hybrid though

We camp a lot so I have plenty of resources here, not least of which is the rocket stove, multiple internet options (gsm,our isp, our neighbors different isp), cigarette lighter inverter for the laptop/etc. some garage sale generator which I will probably ONLY get around to in an emergency that can run the blower. Fireplace. Blankets, sweaters, sleeping bags, solar shower, cooler, several gallons of water, shovel, axe. Fortunately emergencies don't happen often enough here for me to lose much sleep over. A few days of roughing it is actually kinda fun.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
For water heating how about using the coolant from the Prius? a pair of quick connect hydraulic fittings would work tapped in to the heater hose lines, then connect a heat exchanger, that way you are not wasting that engine heat while trying to heat water.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Engineering first

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
For water heating how about using the coolant from the Prius? a pair of quick connect hydraulic fittings would work tapped in to the heater hose lines, then connect a heat exchanger, that way you are not wasting that engine heat while trying to heat water.
The exhaust heat into a gas, water heater was low hanging fruit. But there are problems tapping engine block coolant.

When the engine coolant temperature reaches 60 C, the engine comes on to maintain coolant temperature. I only want it to come on to sustain traction battery voltage. Also, plumbing adds weight to car as well as being a pumber's nightmare. <groan>

Bob Wilson
Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

I just noticed, you have a Coachman? as in giant RV? Why not just use it one day a year in the backyard (and its shower and heat and whatever else the house is missing)?

I appreciate you want to find new uses for hybrids, but you have "emergency" shelter/kitchen/power/shower/crapper WELL in hand already.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Engineering first

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I just noticed, you have a Coachman? as in giant RV? Why not just use it one day a year in the backyard (and its shower and heat and whatever else the house is missing)?

I appreciate you want to find new uses for hybrids, but you have "emergency" shelter/kitchen/power/shower/crapper WELL in hand already.
It was a birthday present for my wife. Little did I realize her health would soon reach a point where she doesn't want to go on trips. Still, this is what it looks like with the Prius:

I see our Prius as being the start of a co-generation system. As I've been building out the emergency systems, I'm moving towards a day when:
  • natural gas - non-traffic fuel source already available at house for economical rates.
  • electricity - the current two-stage inverter can be replaced by a single stage using the built-in, inverter to generate true, sine-wave power.
  • heat - using the exhaust heat for hot water and in the future, absorbtion cycle cooling.
I want to exploit the engine waste heat and stop just burning natural gas for heat without getting some electrons.

Bob Wilson
Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Oh, it isn't one of those giant RVs with a bowling alley inside.

Well it seems you have an agenda beyond emergency power then Otherwise it would be hard to justify a lot of effort/expense for something that would be utilized maybe 1 day a year.

Is the plan to run the prius on natural gas at home?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Engineering first

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
. . .
Is the plan to run the prius on natural gas at home?
Yes, in a co-generation mode. My plan is:
  • 1/3d of heat energy - 120/240 AC for house power
  • 1/3d of exhaust heat - hot water and possibly cooling
  • 1/3d engine compartment heat - the lowest quality and a risk to engine cooling. However, reverse direction on the radiator fans could produce a nice warm breeze for the house, space heating.
What this means is every morning, the car will be warmed up, the house utility bills will shift to natural gas, and I can go to work. When I come home in the evening, I plug the car back into the house and life is good.

Bob Wilson
The Following User Says Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A few thoughts, for what they're worth.

1) I didn't see any mention of disconnecting the house from the grid lines before hooking up the Prius. You do know that the current could be a hazard to repair crews?

2) Why not get a solar water heater instead of doing all the work to hook up the Prius' exhaust &c? Gives you free hot water 365 days a year.

3) Do you really need to run a plasma TV? A few good books and a couple of LED headlamps use a lot less energy.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
A few thoughts, for what they're worth.

1) I didn't see any mention of disconnecting the house from the grid lines before hooking up the Prius. You do know that the current could be a hazard to repair crews?
i, personally, kill all breakers in my box anytime the power goes out

Quote:
2) Why not get a solar water heater instead of doing all the work to hook up the Prius' exhaust &c? Gives you free hot water 365 days a year.
as long as there is sun; thunderstorms and heavy cloud cover doesn't do much for solar heaters, where as you already have the heat from the coolant, and if you don't use it the radiator gets rid of it

Quote:
3) Do you really need to run a plasma TV? A few good books and a couple of LED headlamps use a lot less energy.
i have a few LED light bars in my place, if the power goes out i can grab a spare battery and hook them up for light if needed

Reply  Post New Thread