Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the video link Kodak, awesome stuff there!

There are several hangups with this assignment that is making it more difficult than it needs to be, which is frustrating.

1. 600 word maximum. I filed a story with 621 words a few days ago, and it was rejected until I could re-edit it to meet that requirement. The prof also asked for more detail, but that's a whole different story.
2. I need a minimum of 3 sources. I have a wonderful guy from http://100mpg.ca/, and an anti-hypermiling poster from beyond.ca Car Blog who has also agreed to talk to me IRL. That's why I'm looking for someone local to add a "face" to the story, and to make it locally relevant. One of those "If they can do it, so can you!" kind of stories.

There is more, but complaining about my obstacles isn't going to get me any closer to my goal (of writing this story, becoming more educated, and accumulating a massive amount of student debt. Take your pick, lol)

All great stuff though Kodak, food for thought at the very least.

I DID want to write about my adventure in attempting to hypermile, but that may have to wait until summer, as my car is kind of a death trap... and stuff. (photo here: My car smells like gas, oil, and... burning? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Just noticed this thread. I'm not in Calgary but Red Deer isn't too far away. I don't know if I truly qualify as a hypermiler or not since I don't use a lot of the advanced techniques that many on the forum do, but I would be happy to talk to you if you want. PM me.
Thanks puddleglum, Since I have not made 10 posts on this forum, I can't PM you, want to shoot me a quick message, and we can set something up? My wednesday is looking pretty open....
Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eggs and Sam View Post
1. 600 word maximum. I filed a story with 621 words a few days ago, and it was rejected until I could re-edit it to meet that requirement.
Sounds like you have a bit of a stickler, but hey - critical feedback is the best kind. Are you using inverted pyramid style? If so, most of the time you can just eliminate the last sentence of your article. I know it's an oversimplification, since sometimes that sentence is important, but that's a great place to start.

Do I see a Spitfire sticker? Nice.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
\Are you using inverted pyramid style?
I live and die by the inverted pyramid. Sounds like you have a bit of a background in writing and journalism. It is challenging to cram all of the information that is useful to someone who doesn't know what Hypermiling is into this requirement, but it is definitely not impossible. I will likely create a sidebar of tips and tricks into the story instead of a photo, just because it is a better use of space. I will definitely post a link to the finished product once it goes up!

Here is a link to the publication's website: Calgary Journal Community Newspaper
Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Haha, your guess is a good one.

I look forward to reading the final article.

Tags
alberta, calgary, hypermiling