Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hypermilers conservatives rejoice in freedom

I think hypermilers and everyone here needs to be congratulated and should slap themselves on the back for desiring to make a difference in this world, a willingness to keep informed, and to conserve resources.

I caved in and went to the mall last night. First time in ages.

Dont go to the mall.

It is a poisoned barren wasteland. Devoid of soul and only good for looking at beautiful people.

May all freedom seekers everywhere be healthy, happy and wise. Your desire to improve our world will set you free.

In dreams, may angeldust fill the heart and minds of you and your families, and peace and goodwill be your friend.

Last edited by blueflame; 12-24-2008 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: didnt know the meaning of the previous phrase
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Bluesmobile - '08 Mazda B2300 2WD
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)
RE: Radical conservatives rejoice in freedom

Lovely wishes, blueflame, and I must say I personally agree with every word -- except for your thread title.

<rant>Conservative and liberal, if used in the political sense, are nothing but artificial constructs, meant to divide us when it's more important than ever for us to unite.

In certain circles in the US especially, "liberal" is on par with "son of a filthy diseased *****", while in other circles, "conservative" is equivalent to "war-mongering racist bully".

We are all here on this site because we have found some common ground. Words can be powerful weapons, and IMO they must be used wisely. On that note, could you have meant "radical conservationists"? I suspect there are many here.

There will come a time when we have to hand the keys to this world to our children and their children. In his/her own way, everyone here is making an effort to make that world a better place.</rant>

Peace, beauty, good will, and freedom to you

Old 12-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This hooks in to something I've been thinking about lately, mostly from listening to some of the radical right ranting about how global warming, energy conservation, and so on are just liberal plots. Not looking to argue about that here: I'm just confused. I always thought that it was supposed to be the "liberals" who were the extravagant types; who wanted to expend resources (especially, but not limited to, other people's money) on their vision of a better world. Conservatives, OTOH, were supposed to believe in old-fashioned virtues like "a penny saved is a penny earned", and "make it do, or do without". Now it seems as though I've just looked away for a few minutes, and everything's changed: conservation & frugality are liberal plots, while red-blooded Americans are supposed to waste to show their manhood. What happened? Did I fall into a wormhole and come out in an alternate universe?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I have been called a
"No good tree hugging commie pinko hippie"
But I am a card carrying republican.
Testament to the fact that this site, above most I visit, crosses many boundaries and sets the bar high for us all to reach to the stars.
WooHoo that sounded metaphysical,
I stop now,
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 12-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I'm not a democrat or a republican. I refuse to be held to boundaries of thought such as those. Frankly, if the democratic party represents my interests better, I'll vote for them. Same with republican, green, libertarian, etc, so on, so forth.

I'll be the first redneck I know to tell you that I voted for Obama. I know about 30 other people who also did, but won't admit it in public. Why? They're afraid that they'll be shunned by their "peers". Which brings about another point: I've always pretty much been resigned to the thought that "if you don't like me, that's not my problem."

I honestly believe that most of the world could benefit from giving up. (On trying to impress others, specifically.)

Anyway, politically correct holiday wishes and such to all, I'll be offline for the next two days - don't get too crazy without me!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I didnt know you guys in the states had an ideology called radical conservatives now did I?

Here in NZ nobody uses the phrase....except me

I meant to mean those who make a mission out of conserving...resources!!!

Rather than using the planets resources like a drunken sailor spending accumulated wages.

Anyway happy xmas and be safe on the roads.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
This hooks in to something I've been thinking about lately, mostly from listening to some of the radical right ranting about how global warming, energy conservation, and so on are just liberal plots. Not looking to argue about that here: I'm just confused. I always thought that it was supposed to be the "liberals" who were the extravagant types; who wanted to expend resources (especially, but not limited to, other people's money) on their vision of a better world. Conservatives, OTOH, were supposed to believe in old-fashioned virtues like "a penny saved is a penny earned", and "make it do, or do without". Now it seems as though I've just looked away for a few minutes, and everything's changed: conservation & frugality are liberal plots, while red-blooded Americans are supposed to waste to show their manhood. What happened? Did I fall into a wormhole and come out in an alternate universe?
If you find that wormhole let me know so I can jump into the side you came from.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I think the term "Conservative", in the political sense, was first strengthened by Republican President Teddy Roosevelt. Thank goodness he did, since we have National Parks as a result.

Without further continuing a Political discussion (not encouraged at EM), I can say that there are a multitude of Political views represented here.

It seems that we can "all get along" if we don't debate it.

-Rick / RH77, Moderator

_
_
Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Most debates of various political views I've witnessed boil down to two people with closed minds, that would never change their particular view of the world, trying to convince each other that any opposing view is dead wrong and the work of the devil.

Also there is usually name-calling and pointing to irrelevant "proof" involved.

Fudge that. Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday or non-holiday of choice :-)
Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post
Dont go to the mall.

It is a poisoned barren wasteland. Devoid of soul and only good for looking at beautiful people.
Those beautiful people are few and far between at my local mall. Not worth the trip if I lived next door. We truly do live in the fattest country on earth.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread