Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2020, 03:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Some more pics.

Supercharger:

Fabricated supercharger bracket (incorporated into new engine mount):

Supercharger mounted (the blue is lagging I used to try to reduce noise being radiated from the plumbing. I just couldn't get it quiet, so went to the turbo instead):

Fabricated turbo exhaust manifold:

Turbo:

Turbo mounted:

New turbo fuel system:

New airflow meter:

All about 15 years ago now!

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
deluxx (08-28-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-28-2020, 03:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
How did the Hybrid Synergy Drive react to the increased torque? (Asking for a friend)

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 08-28-2020, 04:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
How did the Hybrid Synergy Drive react to the increased torque? (Asking for a friend)
The outcome was complex, but in short, the increased engine power largely went into charging the HV battery, so full electric power was available all the time.

The car was an NHW10 Japanese domestic model and had a 'turtle' mode that meant the HV battery had got too low in charge and so no electric power was available. Turtle mode up hills was terrible, and I lived at the top of a very steep mountain. My memory is something like 80 km/h (50 mph) up the hill in turtle mode at full throttle, but after turbocharging, I could climb the same hill at something like 110 km/h (~70 mph).

Open road mileage also improved with the turbo.

It was all very complex to get right (eg in altering the air/fuel ratios to get rich mixtures at full boost) but the car ended up feeling just like a factory turbo Prius.

I also modified the regen braking to make it much stronger, altered the electric power steering weight to give better feel, and ran a rear sway bar and a front undertray.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
That's a nice part.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's a nice part.
Thanks. Welded together from steam pipe bends:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-28-2020), jimhs (08-28-2020), roosterk0031 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
not what was required

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
This is typical Aerohead. Completely wrong, so changes the proposition of the argument.

You said:

You are wrong. But rather than recognise that, now it becomes:

No I didn't, and that is not what was required to prove that your point was quite wrong.

The car didn't go on a dyno, but BMEP would have been up considerably - I ran highest boost at peak torque.

All in all, a good example of Aerohead's posts - about half are are wrong, misleading or irrelevant.
If you've ever been to the Bonneville International Raceway, it becomes immediately apparent that in order to achieve terminal velocity, a vehicle may be required to accelerate under wide-open-throttle until it reaches the timing lights at the end of the course ( 12-miles in a good year ); something the IONIQ may have had to contend with.
Engine durability is paramount, especially when you consider that to obtain an official FIA record, the car is required to accomplish a return pass!
This is highly germane to the topic.
If you're implying that your supercharged Atkinson cycle engine is capable of 24-miles at sustained W. O. T., I'd love to see that.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Welded together from steam pipe bends:
I was mainly impressed with the thickness of the mounting plate. I assume in the before pic, that that's just a gasket.

Was it as shiny on the inside? Or was the weld penetration short of the inner surface? Extrude honed?

Old 08-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Aerohead said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
My guess is, that Toyota engineered all the engine components for a limited BMEP, and adding extra atmosphere sent it over that threshold.
(Note: nothing to do with land speed records; comment was in relation to a Prius fitted with nitrous that died).

And of course, as is so often the case, Aerohead was quite wrong. I supercharged and then turbocharged a Prius, the engine coped with no drama whatsoever.

But rather admit that his guess was wrong, now Aerohead pretends the discussion was about something else:

Quote:
If you're implying that your supercharged Atkinson cycle engine is capable of 24-miles at sustained W. O. T., I'd love to see that.
Huh?

For those interested in argument structure, it's called a strawman logical fallacy.

A strawman fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.
aerohead (09-02-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was mainly impressed with the thickness of the mounting plate. I assume in the before pic, that that's just a gasket.

Was it as shiny on the inside? Or was the weld penetration short of the inner surface? Extrude honed?
Yes just the gasket in the 'before' pic. The manifold flange was cut out on a chalked plate by oxy, and then I filed and ground it to shape. Took me a while!

The insides of the manifold were pretty good. I didn't have a welder then and so I had a professional weld it together - interestingly, he did it with a stick welder. We did the welding in a number of steps, using a die grinder inside as required where there was excess penetration.
freebeard (08-28-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
strawman logical fallacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Aerohead said:

(Note: nothing to do with land speed records; comment was in relation to a Prius fitted with nitrous that died).

And of course, as is so often the case, Aerohead was quite wrong. I supercharged and then turbocharged a Prius, the engine coped with no drama whatsoever.

But rather admit that his guess was wrong, now Aerohead pretends the discussion was about something else:

Huh?

For those interested in argument structure, it's called a strawman logical fallacy.

A strawman fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.
There goes that zero-perspicacity phenomena again!
Is it possible for you to discern the difference between running an engine, never intended to be supercharged, at W.O.T., for 12-miles at a time? At least twice?
The fact that another Prius engine blew up has no meaning in your world?
Your 'momentary' acceleration equals the IONIQ team accomplishment?