Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2020, 04:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 68
Thanked 924 Times in 608 Posts
Some more pics.

Supercharger:



Fabricated supercharger bracket (incorporated into new engine mount):



Supercharger mounted (the blue is lagging I used to try to reduce noise being radiated from the plumbing. I just couldn't get it quiet, so went to the turbo instead):




Fabricated turbo exhaust manifold:



Turbo:



Turbo mounted:



New turbo fuel system:



New airflow meter:



All about 15 years ago now!

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
deluxx (08-28-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-28-2020, 04:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Eco-ventor
 
jakobnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: sweden
Posts: 1,423

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 55.11 mpg (US)
Thanks: 61
Thanked 551 Times in 350 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
How did the Hybrid Synergy Drive react to the increased torque? (Asking for a friend)
__________________




2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 68
Thanked 924 Times in 608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
How did the Hybrid Synergy Drive react to the increased torque? (Asking for a friend)
The outcome was complex, but in short, the increased engine power largely went into charging the HV battery, so full electric power was available all the time.

The car was an NHW10 Japanese domestic model and had a 'turtle' mode that meant the HV battery had got too low in charge and so no electric power was available. Turtle mode up hills was terrible, and I lived at the top of a very steep mountain. My memory is something like 80 km/h (50 mph) up the hill in turtle mode at full throttle, but after turbocharging, I could climb the same hill at something like 110 km/h (~70 mph).

Open road mileage also improved with the turbo.

It was all very complex to get right (eg in altering the air/fuel ratios to get rich mixtures at full boost) but the car ended up feeling just like a factory turbo Prius.

I also modified the regen braking to make it much stronger, altered the electric power steering weight to give better feel, and ran a rear sway bar and a front undertray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 17,565
Thanks: 4,740
Thanked 5,846 Times in 4,663 Posts
Quote:
That's a nice part.
__________________
.

Andrej Karpathy: If you bombard Earth with photons long enough eventually it will emit a Tesla.

_________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 68
Thanked 924 Times in 608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's a nice part.
Thanks. Welded together from steam pipe bends:

  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-28-2020), jimhs (08-28-2020), roosterk0031 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 11,786
Thanks: 18,992
Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,737 Posts
not what was required

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
This is typical Aerohead. Completely wrong, so changes the proposition of the argument.

You said:



You are wrong. But rather than recognise that, now it becomes:



No I didn't, and that is not what was required to prove that your point was quite wrong.

The car didn't go on a dyno, but BMEP would have been up considerably - I ran highest boost at peak torque.

All in all, a good example of Aerohead's posts - about half are are wrong, misleading or irrelevant.
If you've ever been to the Bonneville International Raceway, it becomes immediately apparent that in order to achieve terminal velocity, a vehicle may be required to accelerate under wide-open-throttle until it reaches the timing lights at the end of the course ( 12-miles in a good year ); something the IONIQ may have had to contend with.
Engine durability is paramount, especially when you consider that to obtain an official FIA record, the car is required to accomplish a return pass!
This is highly germane to the topic.
If you're implying that your supercharged Atkinson cycle engine is capable of 24-miles at sustained W. O. T., I'd love to see that.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 17,565
Thanks: 4,740
Thanked 5,846 Times in 4,663 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Welded together from steam pipe bends:
I was mainly impressed with the thickness of the mounting plate. I assume in the before pic, that that's just a gasket.

Was it as shiny on the inside? Or was the weld penetration short of the inner surface? Extrude honed?
__________________
.

Andrej Karpathy: If you bombard Earth with photons long enough eventually it will emit a Tesla.

_________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 68
Thanked 924 Times in 608 Posts
Aerohead said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
My guess is, that Toyota engineered all the engine components for a limited BMEP, and adding extra atmosphere sent it over that threshold.
(Note: nothing to do with land speed records; comment was in relation to a Prius fitted with nitrous that died).

And of course, as is so often the case, Aerohead was quite wrong. I supercharged and then turbocharged a Prius, the engine coped with no drama whatsoever.

But rather admit that his guess was wrong, now Aerohead pretends the discussion was about something else:

Quote:
If you're implying that your supercharged Atkinson cycle engine is capable of 24-miles at sustained W. O. T., I'd love to see that.
Huh?

For those interested in argument structure, it's called a strawman logical fallacy.

A strawman fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-02-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 68
Thanked 924 Times in 608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was mainly impressed with the thickness of the mounting plate. I assume in the before pic, that that's just a gasket.

Was it as shiny on the inside? Or was the weld penetration short of the inner surface? Extrude honed?
Yes just the gasket in the 'before' pic. The manifold flange was cut out on a chalked plate by oxy, and then I filed and ground it to shape. Took me a while!

The insides of the manifold were pretty good. I didn't have a welder then and so I had a professional weld it together - interestingly, he did it with a stick welder. We did the welding in a number of steps, using a die grinder inside as required where there was excess penetration.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-28-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 11,786
Thanks: 18,992
Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,737 Posts
strawman logical fallacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Aerohead said:



(Note: nothing to do with land speed records; comment was in relation to a Prius fitted with nitrous that died).

And of course, as is so often the case, Aerohead was quite wrong. I supercharged and then turbocharged a Prius, the engine coped with no drama whatsoever.

But rather admit that his guess was wrong, now Aerohead pretends the discussion was about something else:



Huh?

For those interested in argument structure, it's called a strawman logical fallacy.

A strawman fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.
There goes that zero-perspicacity phenomena again!
Is it possible for you to discern the difference between running an engine, never intended to be supercharged, at W.O.T., for 12-miles at a time? At least twice?
The fact that another Prius engine blew up has no meaning in your world?
Your 'momentary' acceleration equals the IONIQ team accomplishment?

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com