Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #231 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Thread Tools -> Unsubscribe from this thread -> *click*

The Following User Says Thank You to wdb For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-18-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #232 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Civic Type R - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Volts View Post
It doesn't use up as much mental energy either, Does it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think it actually takes a bit more.

Clearly so. What with judging distances, ascents / descents and the heightened concentration required to avoid being a nuisance (assuming you're under the speed of the main traffic flow), along with what you say about careful judgement of "the pack", I would say it takes a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Driving sounds really overwhelming for you. Its not for everyone. Have you considered surrendering your driver's license?

Why would he surrender his entitlement when doing it better than the majority? It may be a case of what he said being somewhat overwhelming to you yourself, not to him; he's clearly well on top of it, but such a description of traffic condition analysis to an uninitiated speed freak could well seem a bit intimidating.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #233 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman View Post

Why would he surrender his entitlement when doing it better than the majority?
I know you are in Britain. But the word "entitlement" has a somewhat different meaning here in America.

Driving (here in the USA) is considered a privilege (not a right, and certainly not an entitlement) that is controlled and regulated by the state. Here, the word "entitlement" describes some obligation (usually of a financial nature) that the government has to you that cannot legally be denied to you or taken from you.

Many here (mostly immigrants, both of legal and non-legal status) now drive on our roads without licenses, and some approve of that and think they have a right to drive, although they are unlicensed.

A driver's license can be suspended or revoked by the state. In some states it takes amassing hundreds of violations before that actually is enforced. But a license to drive is not what we would term an "entitlement".

Old 08-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #234 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
But the word "entitlement" has a somewhat different meaning here in America.

There is no difference between the US English and British English definitions of this word. If you are aware of one, please post it. That is distinct from what situations you may apply the word to, but again I suspect there is no difference.

How some US citizens consider the morals of their driving license (if any do, which I rather doubt) is irrelevant. A US license means an entitlement to drive, unless an offence causes the entitlement to be revoked. Lack of such, on the part of a legal or illegal immigrant or a Mom And Apple Pie American, revoked or otherwise, represents no such entitlement.

I'm not sure where that semantic sideroad appeared from, or why, or for that matter why I responded to it, which I'll probably regret given the history of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Thread Tools -> Unsubscribe from this thread -> *click*

Way ahead o' ya.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #235 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Over here, in the context of government, entitlement actually does have a very specific meaning, and it is very much in the "you owe me" sense. Having license to do something means having permission to do it. License must be earned and may be revoked, while entitlements are simply what you are owed.

Yes, words have real meanings, but once we get into legalities we have to use words the way the gubmints we're under use them.

As a side note, I'd rather be on a road full of unlicensed illegal immigrants than a road full of Murricans who have had their licenses revoked. Come to think of it, I'd feel safer on a road full of unlicensed illegal immigrants than a road full of Murricans who passed our lame assed "tests."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
XYZ (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #236 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Over here, in the context of government, entitlement actually does have a very specific meaning, and it is very much in the "you owe me" sense.

Yuh mate, it means that too here, and to be honest it's become a very cloudy word of late. It seems that people consider themselves "entitled" to more and more, while having done less and less to actually earn it, or properly deserve it. But that's another story (and a political rant nothing to do with hypermiling).

Still, a driving license is an entitlement to drive, as well as a revocable permission. Or for that matter, a privilege, or whatever anyone chooses to call it.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #237 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Over here, in the context of government, entitlement actually does have a very specific meaning, and it is very much in the "you owe me" sense. Having license to do something means having permission to do it. License must be earned and may be revoked, while entitlements are simply what you are owed.

Yes, words have real meanings, but once we get into legalities we have to use words the way the gubmints we're under use them.
Exactly! There is a difference in the meaning of the terms and again you expressed it accurately and succinctly.

Quote:
As a side note, I'd rather be on a road full of unlicensed illegal immigrants than a road full of Murricans who have had their licenses revoked. Come to think of it, I'd feel safer on a road full of unlicensed illegal immigrants than a road full of Murricans who passed our lame assed "tests."
That's what's known as "the lesser of two evils".

Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #238 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
But once we leave the US and our political vocabulary, the rest of the English speaking world speaks actual English- not Washingtonese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #239 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
That's odd- I knew exactly what songman meant.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #240 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
But once we leave the US and our political vocabulary, the rest of the English speaking world speaks actual English- not Washingtonese.
Actually it's not Washington-speak, it's that of government and the law in general when referring to licensing.

Driver's licenses are issued and regulated by state governments. If you Google "driving privilege" you will find that it is always referred to with that specific phrase by all states regarding the issuance of licenses.

Here's one state's actual stated definition: click here

It's not just that one state. That particular phrase is universally and exclusively used in all states.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread