Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
The specification for the side mirrors doesn't require them to be outside the vehicle. They are referred to as outside mirrors to differentiate them from the center mirror.
Quote:
From a NY state statute: "All 1970 or newer models must be equipped with an adjustable interior mirror in addition to the required outside mirrors."
Surely you must be joking. When you go to court in NY, the prosecutor or the judge might ask you "what part of the word OUTSIDE is confusing to you?"

"But I do have outside mirrors, they just aren't on the outside of the vehicle."

Yeah, right...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
My theory is that when they wrote the law, they never imagined anybody would have a side-view mirror on the inside of the car. I can certainly see my mirror being interpreted as illegal, but I don't believe that was the intent of the wording. Should all of a car's mirrors be day/night? The whole thing is poorly written.

I'd really like to know what an "other reflecting device" would be.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Surely you must be joking. When you go to court in NY, the prosecutor or the judge might ask you "what part of the word OUTSIDE is confusing to you?"

"But I do have outside mirrors, they just aren't on the outside of the vehicle."

Yeah, right...
Thats easy to deal with the law states " All 1970 or newer models must be equipped with an adjustable interior mirror in addition to the required outside mirrors."

It never states what mirrors are required outside. If no mirrors are specifically required for outside then all mirrors can be inside.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

is equipped with an adjustable side view mirror which shall be affixed to the left ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Thats easy to deal with the law states " All 1970 or newer models must be equipped with an adjustable interior mirror in addition to the required outside mirrors."

It never states what mirrors are required outside. If no mirrors are specifically required for outside then all mirrors can be inside.
It's easy to postulate a defense for a hypothetical challenge of the law as mental masturbation. But you didn't research NY state law. Here it is, specified in NYS statute, section 375, 10-a:
Quote:
It shall be unlawful after July first, nineteen hundred sixty-seven to operate on any public highway in this state any motor vehicle registered in this state, manufactured or assembled on or after such date, and designated as a nineteen hundred sixty-eight or later model, unless such vehicle is equipped with an adjustable side view mirror which shall be affixed to the left outside of such vehicle and which shall be adjustable so that the operator of such vehicle may have a clear view of the road and condition of traffic on the left side and to the rear of such vehicle.
Move to NY, get cited with a summons for having no exterior mirror and tell it to the judge. It's not likely the judge will see it your way. He will probably ask you (in NY fashion): what part of the words "affixed to the left outside of such vehicle" are not explicit enough for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Thanks, that's pretty clear! Not only is the location illegal, so is the fact that I can't see behind me with the side mirror. Good thing the cops don't know the law! My window tint isn't legal in NY either.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Didn't someone post a link on here some time back leading you somewhere that had rules for most states on mirrors? I know that sounds vague but IIRC it was here at EM that I found it.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Didn't someone post a link on here some time back leading you somewhere that had rules for most states on mirrors? I know that sounds vague but IIRC it was here at EM that I found it.
could it be the 1 in the wiki?
Mirror Laws by State (U.S.) - EcoModder

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Reply  Post New Thread