Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2024, 04:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
I have solar telemetry now and the results are in

60% of the energy I use is generated by solar (and most of that is generated locally).

And of the rest I'm counting natural gas and gasoline in that total (the women who must be obeyed in the house want nat gas instead of induction so even if as I add more solar and LifePO4 storage, I may end up keeping the gas stove. Being a poly lesbian isn't easy) otherwise I could cook the numbers to make it 69% solar. Since projections say that it's going to get a good 5C hotter here before I'm dead, I'm trying to be ahead of the curve and ensure that I don't die in the heat. Plus battery storage is about the same cost as pulling from the grid and it's a lot harder for someone to hit my roof with a car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2024, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,417 Times in 3,389 Posts
What part of CA is projected to go 5C warmer within a lifetime?

In general, warming increases the coldest colds far more than the warmest warms. That means that in general, HVAC costs should decrease. Of course, specific locations will vary.

So far this year, I'm almost at break-even on solar production vs electrical consumption, but have started using electricity for 90% of transportation. I'm hoping to get away with using a more efficient 1-ton AC unit vs the inefficient 5-ton this summer to help offset the EV consumption.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-23-2024 at 02:06 PM..
Old 06-23-2024, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
What part of CA is projected to go 5C warmer within a lifetime?

In general, warming increases the coldest colds far more than the warmest warms. That means that in general, HVAC costs should decrease. Of course, specific locations will vary.

So far this year, I'm almost at break-even on solar production vs electrical consumption, but have started using electricity for 90% of transportation. I'm hoping to get away with using a more efficient 1-ton AC unit vs the inefficient 5-ton this summer to help offset the EV consumption.
I've used my heating sys all of 2 hours in the time I've owned the house. I'm in AZ, haven't gotten around to updating location. I didn't want to move to AZ but it was the option that made it possible to cut abusive people out of my life.

Last edited by H-Man; 06-23-2024 at 06:32 PM..
Old 06-25-2024, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,000 Posts
Which would be easier: more solar panels or a super efficient heat pump head unit?

Suspect the 5C increase is in the central valley. They are changing the color of the land, fubaring up water sources and adding people.
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Which would be easier: more solar panels or a super efficient heat pump head unit?

Suspect the 5C increase is in the central valley. They are changing the color of the land, fubaring up water sources and adding people.
Already have a heat pump and R20 on the walls. Might need to put an ERV in. If I do add to the cooling system, I'll see if I can add some space radiators to exploit the chill of space. Plan is to upsize the inverter to at least 12kW and add to the array, plus install 48V batteries. Might just go straight to 48V batteries and run the house on LiFePO4 during peak hours.

Reply  Post New Thread