Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you said TN and white truck that sounds like a Jet engine(way above legal limit for sound output) I know the guy. . .

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #102 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
I usually chuckle when someone blows past me. I don't see anything wrong with that. BUT, that's no reason to assume that every speeder is deliberately being a jerk. AND it's even less of a reason for an eco-driver to be a jerk to other drivers on the road.
If it is a 2 lane road and they run clearly visible oncoming traffic off the road to pass me or others, to me that is definitely being a jerk. I don't care if they're from out of state or not, nowhere I know of condones facing every other occupant in the immediate area with a death sentence by playing chicken. I'm seeing it more and more on my way to work and back, as the tourists start to arrive for the season. On a heavily driven 2 lane road I keep it within 5 mph of the speed limit.

On the freeway there is much less danger because there is always a left lane available and plenty of space to use it. But I too chuckle when the same vehicle blows past me for the 2ND OR 3RD time in one trip.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 04-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #103 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

As you read this, do you wonder if the driver's holding him up should get charged?

Granted, this is an extreme case, but does the principal apply the burden is to the passer?

To be blunt, some opposing points almost seem to tell hypermilers to get completely off the road for speeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Morning News
A motorcyclist has been accused of reckless driving after his female passenger was thrown from the bike and fell 16 feet from a highway ramp onto a service road.

Leah Sanchez, 20, was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital, said Sgt. Robert Bernard, of the Texas Department of Public Safety. The hospital said she was in critical condition this morning.

On Thursday evening, Sanchez was riding with Lazaro Torres-Perez, 21, of Sanger and heading west on Bush Turnpike when he attempted to pass a vehicle on the one-lane entrance ramp to the Dallas North Tollway, Bernard said.

The bike struck a concrete barrier and Sanchez was thrown from the motorcycle, falling almost two stories.

Sanchez was not wearing a helmet, and Torres-Perez was, Bernard said. Alcohol did not appear to be a factor, he said.

Torres-Perez was charged with reckless driving and has since been released on bond, according to a Collin County jail official. His bond information was not immediately available.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No. Dallas is like alot of TN Newspapers(been there read them have friends from there(lots of friends from there)).

If he was speeding they intentionally won't mention it in case someone mentions it around the family to avoid additional grief(salt to the wound).

In all likely hood the driver of the motorcycle was probably showing off(every time I've ever been passed on a 1-2 lane environment( the motorcyclist was wreckless)). Also they do not list the type of bike(at least not in that citation.) I can almost guarantee it was a cafe bike as he is under 26-30, its late and his sigo is 20. Was likely hot rodding.

Statistically this is the case. If a bike strikes a car from the rear its almost always the cars fault, most cases involving the bike going out of control are the drivers fault. Ask a cop.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
As you read this, do you wonder if the driver's holding him up should get charged?
Not at all. Where is it legal to pass on a one-lane piece of road? Most entrance ramps (at least that I have seen) are not made for high speed, many here are like 25 mph. You speed up once you get to the acceleration lane that parallels the freeway, and if the biker wanted to go faster he could have then went to another lane.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's never illegal to obey the law. There are no laws regarding min speed on ramps and as wagon said most ramps are 25 mph suggested limits(mine here are yellow/orange signs which mean its not required but its not such a good idea.)
Old 04-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #107 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
I am learning very quickly that education is the key. We will never see it on a state / city level, so it must be passed on through the underground.

Case in point, I take alot of crap from my fellow Scion club members. Every week they ask me how many MPG's I'm getting and they laugh and continue to tell stories about their hwy racing venues.

Well this car unlike the Vibe is not modified and they are astonished at how just driving can affect MPG's. Well last week we took a trip, one that could have been covered by a single tank of gas, less than 300 miles. SO I take off with the caravan and literally get left in the dust as I am doing 55mph in the right lane while they race around and such.

Well long story short I get a call to pull over for gas, I declined in order to prove a point. The result, I arrived to the show 15 minutes BEFORE they did and one of them got a ticket for reckless driving.

That woke them up enough to where now I am coaching each one individually on how they can make small changes in their driving without modding their cars and still see considerable improvements.

They now understand, and from what I have read here, many lash out in anger without understanding. You do not have to understand why I drive 55 in 70, just understand what benefits it brings then choose to ignore the benefits, instead of making judgments on the driver.

There are unsafe slow speeds on a hwy, but their are also rules of the road, like slower traffic keep right. If you think that you need to make a point and drive slow in the middle lanes, truck lanes or even the left lane, then you are the problem. The way I drive is not intended to make a statement, it is intended to save me fuel, aggravation & maintenance costs. And at least one person a week learns that from me and it's reciprocated with at least as many thank yous. Even if they just slowed down from 80 to 70.

So great discussion, let's keep it going ..

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah I ran into an old friend of mine a week ago and he asked what kind of mileage I get(he just got a new impreza). I told him that I just recently had driven into town and gotten better than 42 mpg(That direction is a slightly lower altitude so its higher than my 35 mpg).
Just moments before that he had been bragging to my brother about his camry hybrid's mileage(he was getting 34). I then spent about 30 minutes explaining DWB, DWL, EOC, good rpm ranges, aerodynamics and legal drafting.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #109 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
trikkonceptz -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post

Well this car unlike the Vibe is not modified and they are astonished at how just driving can affect MPG's. Well last week we took a trip, one that could have been covered by a single tank of gas, less than 300 miles. SO I take off with the caravan and literally get left in the dust as I am doing 55mph in the right lane while they race around and such.

Well long story short I get a call to pull over for gas, I declined in order to prove a point. The result, I arrived to the show 15 minutes BEFORE they did and one of them got a ticket for reckless driving.

That woke them up enough to where now I am coaching each one individually on how they can make small changes in their driving without modding their cars and still see considerable improvements.

Fantastic. Lead by example and wait for them to come to you.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #110 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

[SOLD] Highway Warrior - '00 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L Manual
90 day: 35.93 mpg (US)

Basic Miata - '06 Mazda Miata Touring
90 day: 30.93 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
I am learning very quickly that education is the key. We will never see it on a state / city level, so it must be passed on through the underground.

Case in point, I take alot of crap from my fellow Scion club members. Every week they ask me how many MPG's I'm getting and they laugh and continue to tell stories about their hwy racing venues.

They now understand, and from what I have read here, many lash out in anger without understanding. You do not have to understand why I drive 55 in 70, just understand what benefits it brings then choose to ignore the benefits, instead of making judgments on the driver.

There are unsafe slow speeds on a hwy, but their are also rules of the road, like slower traffic keep right. If you think that you need to make a point and drive slow in the middle lanes, truck lanes or even the left lane, then you are the problem. The way I drive is not intended to make a statement, it is intended to save me fuel, aggravation & maintenance costs. And at least one person a week learns that from me and it's reciprocated with at least as many thank yous. Even if they just slowed down from 80 to 70.

So great discussion, let's keep it going ..
That's awesome!

I drove to Chicago a couple weeks ago, and a friend came along too. He and I both needed to take an exam and fill out some paperwork for a company where we will both be interning this summer. I drove the speed limit (65 mph) on the highway for the whole trip, but he kept urging me to go faster.

We made it to the office in Chicago in plenty of time, and we ran a few errands around Chicago too. When we got back to Champaign, he was astounded that we did 400 miles for $20. Since we were splitting the cost of fuel, he was less cranky about my driving when he only had to pay me $10.

2006 Miata Touring 5MT
2006 VW Jetta TDI 6AT (Sold to buy Miata)
2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L 5MT
2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe 5AT (Water damage, totaled)

DeepScale
Reply  Post New Thread