Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb302 View Post
So do you think my best bet is to get an oem manifold? I am afraid to get a used one since they crack. And does it need to be an HX specific manifold/cat or can it be a LX or DX manifold. Since this car has an aftermarket header and no cat I don't which is the original and google images doesn't help alot.

I have those 2 anti-foulers and I may try them again.
The 1996-1998 Civic FSM shows the same exhaust manifold and catalyst for the D16y5 (HX) and D16Y7 engines. The D16Y7 was more common, and could be found in the DX, CX, and LX trims. The catalyst/exahust manifold that was different was on the D16Y8 engine, which was in the EX/Si trim. Get the OEM, and get the proper O2 sensor so you don't throw a CEL which will keep you out of lean burn.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-31-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
HX Cat Converter

Quote:
Hello, I bought a 2000 Civic HX that has an aftermarket header installed without a cat and it throws a code for secondary O2 sensor. Best mpg I can get is 33-36mpg all highway.

What kind of catalytic converter should I get for the HX? I have been searching online for over a week and haven't found enough people who have actually changed their factory cat in an HX.

I am leaning toward just a cheap one but I want to make sure this car will lean burn properly with it.
Is this enough? Exhaust Manifold w Catalytic Converter Federal for Honda Civic Del Sol 1 6L | eBay
or do I need to get a better quality?
This one say's it's compatible w/2000 Civic HX. I have a 1998 HX and have used headers w/aftermarket Cat and never had problems with leanburn. I prefer the one like in this ebay ad. 45+mpg.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
This one say's it's compatible w/2000 Civic HX. I have a 1998 HX and have used headers w/aftermarket Cat and never had problems with leanburn. I prefer the one like in this ebay ad. 45+mpg.
But you are running an Apexi AFC,so youare controling AFR in an unusual way. He is trying for stock functionality. This eBay item does not appear to have the downstream O2, or the heat cover for the catalyst. Seems dodgy to me. Just get the stock equipment, unless you wanna figure it out.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Apexi AFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
But you are running an Apexi AFC,so youare controling AFR in an unusual way. He is trying for stock functionality. This eBay item does not appear to have the downstream O2, or the heat cover for the catalyst. Seems dodgy to me. Just get the stock equipment, unless you wanna figure it out.
Yes, I run an Apexi AFC, and when I run the Apexi I get 55 mpg avg. When I ran the setup with headers and aftermarket cat I got 45 mpg avg, but I understand what you are saying about being leery of anything but stock setup on a leanburn system.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The 1996-1998 Civic FSM shows the same exhaust manifold and catalyst for the D16y5 (HX) and D16Y7 engines. The D16Y7 was more common, and could be found in the DX, CX, and LX trims. The catalyst/exahust manifold that was different was on the D16Y8 engine, which was in the EX/Si trim. Get the OEM, and get the proper O2 sensor so you don't throw a CEL which will keep you out of lean burn.
I am having a hard time finding a used factory manifold. All of the local junk yards don't have any and all the ones on ebay look like there from an EX.

What do you think about this one? Exhaust Manifold with Integrated Catalytic Converter Front Fits 96 00 Civic 1 6L | eBay

That one has the spots for both O2 sensors and looks more factory. it says refurb.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
I am having a hard time finding a used factory manifold. All of the local junk yards don't have any and all the ones on ebay look like there from an EX.

What do you think about this one? Exhaust Manifold with Integrated Catalytic Converter Front Fits 96 00 Civic 1 6L | eBay

That one has the spots for both O2 sensors and looks more factory. it says refurb.
You wanna search car-part.com

Old 04-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

After looking for a while I found a used manifold for $100 but I am afraid of it cracking next week or next year... Especially after reading all the reviews on amazon. So I ordered a new Dorman 674-439. I should have it install next weekend and will give an update. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
You probably know more about this than I do, but the reviews on Amazon were not exciting, and they mentioned unless you purchased it from the right place (not Amazon), you only receive a five-year warranty, not the lifetime guarantee Amazon states, and several people said aftermarket manifolds failed within a few years. I swear I once saw a hairline crack in my manifold by the upper oxygen sensor, but I took it to a welder and he did not see it, and he said it was square.

I tried JB Weld, which simply disappeared, but is only rated for 550 degrees. These products are supposed to be good for 2,000 - 2,500:
POR-15 Fire Seal 2000 FS2 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Amazon.com: Blue Magic 18003 QuikSteel High Temperature Metal Repair Blister Card - 3 oz.: Automotive
Amazon.com: Blue Magic 18003TRI ThermoSteel High-Temp Metal Repair - 3 oz.: Automotive

I would personally prefer an OEM header welded by someone that knew what they were doing to an aftermarket one, but I welcome the opinions of more knowledgeable members.

Reply  Post New Thread