Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 540
Thanks: 23
Thanked 128 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
There are two users in the Aerodynamics subforum that advocate for The Template and for a less specific, more modern approach. It was a veiled reference, not wanting to drag the thread down thanks for asking.

The Volkhart-Sagitta to me represents a Jaray two-body melding of the two, with the retro look you want.
Unless I did it incorrectly, the BOcruiser is pretty close.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOcruiser-AST.png
Views:	37
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	29265  
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 10-05-2020, 01:49 AM   #72 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,060
Thanks: 107
Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,131 Posts


Clearly, the rear of the BOcruiser drops away more rapidly than The Template. (So, according to Aerohead's theories, the upper rear should be in separated flow. Of course it isn't.)

And in fact - surprise, surprise, the rear shape is very similar to the Porsche Taycan, isn't it?



You know, someone looking at these could start getting the idea that The Template is of very little use indeed - not when the current slipperiest cars in the world show a quite different rear shape.

Gosh, who'd have thought it? I am just gobsmacked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #73 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 2,306
Thanks: 219
Thanked 628 Times in 541 Posts
The template is an ordinate arbitrarily chosen to fulfill another arbitrary set of parameters such as visibility, passenger accommodation, what not. I personally feel more laminar ordinates are superior, but have over time come to see the template as a beginning point for the non-engineer to Grok (term used as defined by originator) and not mock.

YMMV and it will because your use of inferior gottengen airfoils because they are easily available and indicates someting else.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 10-05-2020 at 10:56 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #74 (permalink)
Long time lurker
 
AeroMcAeroFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Uk
Posts: 210
Thanks: 104
Thanked 150 Times in 116 Posts
It seems like no-one has mentioned the CarBEN thread, I remember following it for a long time and then it all stopped when the car got crushed. It shows how much work a custom body really is though, it isn't surprising they have teams of people working on solar cars.

The CarBEN EV5
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post316166

Last edited by AeroMcAeroFace; 10-05-2020 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: added carben ev5 reference
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AeroMcAeroFace For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 540
Thanks: 23
Thanked 128 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
It seems like no-one has mentioned the CarBEN thread, I remember following it for a long time and then it all stopped when the car got crushed. It shows how much work a custom body really is though, it isn't surprising they have teams of people working on solar cars.

The CarBEN EV5
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post316166
I was wondering about that project. What went wrong?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 20,436
Thanks: 5,731
Thanked 6,660 Times in 5,378 Posts
I recall the 'garage' collapsing on it. Paging NeilBlanchard.


justacarguy: please join me in a standing ovation for the El Toro High Auto Shop class for their Mopetta replication! Thanks tot he shop teacher, Casey, for sharing this with me!

The hard part is doors and windows.
__________________
.
Sandy Munro: Sacred cows make the best steak.
____________________

Stuff that works, stuff that holds up
The kind of stuff you don't hang on the wall
Stuff that's real, stuff you feel
The kind of stuff you reach for when you fall
Guy Clark -- Stuff That Works

____________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 540
Thanks: 23
Thanked 128 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post


Clearly, the rear of the BOcruiser drops away more rapidly than The Template. (So, according to Aerohead's theories, the upper rear should be in separated flow. Of course it isn't.)

And in fact - surprise, surprise, the rear shape is very similar to the Porsche Taycan, isn't it?



You know, someone looking at these could start getting the idea that The Template is of very little use indeed - not when the current slipperiest cars in the world show a quite different rear shape.

Gosh, who'd have thought it? I am just gobsmacked.
There's more than one way to cheat the wind.

I haven't delved into the debate, but I am aware of it. Why is your commentary coming off as smug? That doesn't seem like a good tone to take.

Last edited by sgtlethargic; 10-05-2020 at 04:26 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 540
Thanks: 23
Thanked 128 Times in 99 Posts
Regarding the AST: truncation of the tail has been a key part, so I don't see the shown overlays as evidence against its use, but for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #79 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,060
Thanks: 107
Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
The template is an ordinate arbitrarily chosen to fulfill another arbitrary set of parameters such as visibility, passenger accommodation, what not. I personally feel more laminar ordinates are superior, but have over time come to see the template as a beginning point for the non-engineer to Grok (term used as defined by originator) and not mock.

YMMV and it will because your use of inferior gottengen airfoils because they are easily available and indicates someting else.
The Template here has been used on this group:
  • to determine whether airflow is attached or separated
  • to determine the required height of rear spoilers
  • as an assessment tool to judge the aerodynamic purity of production cars
  • to guide the best shape of rear car extensions to existing cars

All are just rubbish.

The template therefore seems to me to be a pretty good thing to mock - just saying what I have already said doesn't seem to get through to people.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #80 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,060
Thanks: 107
Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
There's more than one way to cheat the wind.

I haven't delved into the debate, but I am aware of it. Why is your commentary coming off as smug? That doesn't seem like a good tone to take.
The Template here has been used on this group:
  • to determine whether airflow is attached or separated
  • to determine the required height of rear spoilers
  • as an assessment tool to judge the aerodynamic purity of production cars
  • to guide the best shape of rear car extensions to existing cars

All are just rubbish.

I am not smug - if anything I am sad and angry that people have been so sucked-in by something with so little validity. The Template is just a very old-fashioned, low drag car shape - that is all.

Its uses in all of the above dot points is a vast over-reach - going down a rabbit hole and then that hole getting deeper and deeper.

It's like my getting a pic of a combustion chamber design from a high performance 1930s piston engine and then suggesting it was the ultimate and we should copy it in our modifications, use it to judge existing combustion chambers, etc, etc.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com