Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Sorry the Taurus got the "heave hoe." but some times folding is the smart option. Especially, if you don't have the time to track down reasonably priced replacement parts. Cobalts are a nice looking unit, and I'm sure Wisconsin weather both summer and winter will identify of the cars faults in short order. My Dad still lives in West Central Wisconsin, so I'm familiar with the typical weather/ driving challenges. A few thought of the car. Its been a while since I drove one as a rental, but I consider the suspension to be on the "too soft" side for that weight and size vehicle. Have the car re-alignment done a good local shop with the newest hunter alignment equipment. And even if it is within the "good range" for tire alignment spend the extra $$ for camber bolts if its not "spot on" aligned. It will save fuel and tires in the long run.

I may be a little bias after my GM experiences but I always felt GMs automobile line-up for Cobalts, Lumina, Monte Carlos handled more like CUVs in terms of suspension rather than the more crisp spring rates of a Ford/Toyo/Honda

Last edited by 2009Toyotoad; 05-18-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
First tank is in the log! These things seem to have large tanks, too. Next tank will see a few longer drives, and tire pressures bumped up a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad View Post
Sorry the Taurus got the "heave hoe." but some times folding is the smart option. Especially, if you don't have the time to track down reasonably priced replacement parts. Cobalts are a nice looking unit, and I'm sure Wisconsin weather both summer and winter will identify of the cars faults in short order. My Dad still lives in West Central Wisconsin, so I'm familiar with the typical weather/ driving challenges. A few thought of the car. Its been a while since I drove one as a rental, but I consider the suspension to be on the "too soft" side for that weight and size vehicle. Have the car re-alignment done a good local shop with the newest hunter alignment equipment. And even if it is within the "good range" for tire alignment spend the extra $$ for camber bolts if its not "spot on" aligned. It will save fuel and tires in the long run.

I may be a little bias after my GM experiences but I always felt GMs automobile line-up for Cobalts, Lumina, Monte Carlos handled more like CUVs in terms of suspension rather than the more crisp spring rates of a Ford/Toyo/Honda
It is a bit on the soft side, but to be honest I rather like that (especially given the quality of the roads on my commute). Unfortunately, the tires on it ride poorly.

Really though, a tad above Buick-rowboaty would be fine with me.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
The PRC.

This probably doesn't add much to this thread but I clicked on it because I didn't know what a Cobalt is (I'm in the UK). I looked at this image from the top :

and assumed it is a typical far east supplied GM product, but then I noticed the rear door line - hmm, that looks familiar :

The 1998 Vauxhall Astra / Opel Astra from Europe. Turns out these are the same car underneath. I have to say Chevrolet managed to make it look much better on the outside, not something you can normally say about the US editions of "world cars".

If they have the same interior then I agree it is really poor - well built, but not very nice to look at and doesn't feel in any way special or comfortable.

Unfortunately the looks killed that model here so the second-hand values are really low even for the super economical Diesels and the very rare "Euro 4" economy oriented models - which has been posted about here before.

Good car though
The Other Andy (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That is cool! I hadn't even known about their connection. Thanks for posting. I like all the variants the Astra had, especially the little van. A Cobalt van would be right up my alley.

The Cobalt was Chevrolet's replacement for our Cavalier.

It has since been replaced by the Cruze, but the name Cobalt is being used for a strange-looking Russian Aveo.

Quick update: I've aired the tires up to 40 psi. I'm also considering ditching the wheel covers, but we'll see. They're quite noisy, and the chrome looks a bit tacky. Also, I noticed yesterday that half of the driver's side mudflap is torn off. Huh. Unfortunately it's a part of the wheel wheel liner, so I'll have to pull the whole thing out if I want to do a half-decent job cutting it.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Andy View Post
That is cool! I hadn't even known about their connection. Thanks for posting. I like all the variants the Astra had, especially the little van. A Cobalt van would be right up my alley.

The Cobalt was Chevrolet's replacement for our Cavalier.

It has since been replaced by the Cruze, but the name Cobalt is being used for a strange-looking Russian Aveo.
(Sorry OT)

We got a variant of the US Cavalier for the 80s,

- note the rear doors compared to :

and then a German developed version for the 1990s

I don't think this had a US equivalent but it was sold in the far east as an Isuzu - the European models had some Isuziu engines (Diesels mainly) at the time.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
The PRC.

Yep all the same car - detailed (from the UK perspective) here :

The cars : Vauxhall Cavalier Mk2 - AROnline : AROnline
Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Nice tank, come fall my KT's cobalt is coming home while she's student teaching and will have 30 mile each way commute, I'm sure I'll get to fill it up so I can see how it does better than what I have so far. I did go up to 195-65-15 vs the 60's it came with and Nokian WRG3's which are supposed to be LLR.

My immediate goal is for a 45 mpg 3-tank on E10.
45 mpg, oh how nice that would be. Not so much the 60 mile commute though.

Did you see much benefit in going up a tire size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
(Sorry OT)

We got a variant of the US Cavalier for the 80s,

and then a German developed version for the 1990s

I don't think this had a US equivalent but it was sold in the far east as an Isuzu - the European models had some Isuziu engines (Diesels mainly) at the time.
Ah the J-body. Such a versatile little platform. I've mentioned it a few times, but my first car was a J-body: a 1983 or 84 Pontiac J2000. Also known as a Sunbird, because Pontiac couldn't figure out what they were doing (believe it or not, there was a little name plaque on the passenger side of the dashboard that originally said J2000, but had a new plaque that read Sunbird pasted over it). Looked almost identical to this:

Image shamelessly stolen from: Pontiac J2000 - Used and New Cars For Sale - usacars4sale.com

Such a cool front end.

Thanks for that read! I hadn't realized that it had ever had any traction in Europe. And no, that '90s five-door never came here. In the early 90's we had the Sunbird/Cavalier Sedan, wagon, and convertible. Then we had the Sunfire/Cavalier sedan, coupe, and convertible after (iirc) 1995. J-body pr0n:

www.netcarshow.com

www.chevroletwallpapers.com

As if I mind being off-topic

Oh, and I may bring the tire pressure down a little. 40 is a bit too rough for me, although I did hit 39.1mpg on my way to work the other morning.

Last edited by The Other Andy; 05-27-2015 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Making the SEO's at ncs and chevwallpaper happy.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
I always thought the post '91 Cavalier update made it into what was, really, an extremely handsome American compact. It was certainly nicer looking than the first generation, which was awful.

Bear in mind that my perception is far from universal in its appeal. I like Chevettes.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Andy View Post
...As if I mind being off-topic
We had that convertible here too, but anyway this thread is not about the history of GM world cars 1985 - 2005 - fascinating though that is...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The hat eating I'd like to see to be honest.

Reply  Post New Thread